Interesting article on happiness

Interesting... so looks like they were really researching the rationale for the greeting "how's it hanging?"

Here's a simple equation for happiness: reality - expectations

jayl23 said:
So if you expect less you are more happy?

I keep telling my wife that but it doesn't work.

And what does this say about "Never give up on your dreams"? (look at my avatar, courtesy of SoCal)

irvinehomeowner said:
jayl23 said:
So if you expect less you are more happy?

I keep telling my wife that but it doesn't work.

And what does this say about "Never give up on your dreams"? (look at my avatar, courtesy of SoCal)
Basically, yes, if you expect less and reality exceeds, then you should be happy.

It's good to have dreams, but those are usually different from your expectations, i.e. much higher and greater.  My dream car/job would be much much better than what I expect to and actually drive/do.

As for "never give up on your dreams", I believe eventually everyone does, once the reality of their own life sets in and they realize that they can probably never live the rock star/pro athlete life that they dreamed of when they were younger and more idealistic.  Then we adjust our expectations accordingly. 

Managing expectations is a critical skill in consulting and many other aspects of life.  Better to under-promise and over-deliver than over-promise and under-deliver.

Isn't that a warren buffer quote?  When he said don't try to be happier than happy?

qwerty said:
Isn't that a warren buffer quote?  When he said don't try to be happier than happy?

Not sure, can't find anything from the octogenarian of Omaha about that, but here are some others:

"We are no longer happy so soon as we wish to be happier."
? Walter Savage Landor

"I do not understand what the man who is happy wants in order to be happier."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Back