Insulation upgrades - worth it?

qwerty said:
Once again, irvinites worrying about 2k. Amazing.

You spend $1m on a house and complain about 2k that will make your living experience more enjoyable over the next 5-7 years.

I say upgrade the tiles in the bathroom. I don't like the basic white tiles. Another idea get recess lighting in the rooms. I can't tell you how many people I know that said we should of done our lights through the builder.

insulation is well worth it. Keeps my house cool in the summer after running ac for only an hour I dont need to run it longer. Same with heater in winter. My electric bill is always relatively low

qwerty said:

You spend $1m on a house and complain about 2k that will make your living experience more enjoyable over the next 5-7 years.

Hey 2k adds up. Bc of insulation, I couldn't put recess lights in all my bedrooms. Now my resale value is gonna suck balls.

bones said:
qwerty said:

Hey 2k adds up. Bc of insulation, I couldn't put recess lights in all my bedrooms. Now my resale value is gonna suck balls.
That's an interesting side effect of insulation, not being able to "do the cans". Can you "do the fans"?

Definitely worth the attic.  The interior walls is a personal preference.  It does have sound insulating properties, so for people with kids, or people who don't want to hear their washer/dryer going on while downstairs, then it's good to have.  Zero resale upside, so it's all personal preference.

If upgrading the type of insulation is an option from batt to sprayed, I would recommend it.  I've done it and swear by it.  Also, we had the option to insulate the garage walls, which is also highly recommended.

qwerty said:

It's not so much of a question on $ amount itself. Rather it is a question for judicious use of money. Hell, dont' we all spend more than 2k every year on some things that we just 'gotta have' because you love it so much?

Cornflakes said:
qwerty said:

It's not so much of a question on $ amount itself. Rather it is a question for judicious use of money. Hell, dont' we all spend more than 2k every year on some things that we just 'gotta have' because you love it so much?

I believe there tons of TI discussions regarding upgrades. If you have a moment, you should check it out.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

That's an interesting side effect of insulation, not being able to "do the cans". Can you "do the fans"?

I did it all!  Only qwerty truly gets me on TI.

bones said:
qwerty said:

Who told you that? The builder forgot to add the cans to the downstairs bedroom here and had NO problem putting them in after COE even with upgraded insulation.

Upstairs probably would have been easier with attic access.

Back