Insulation upgrades - worth it?

Cornflakes

The builder is offering interior insulation upgrades that puts insulation in interior walls and first floor celing. It is supposed to reduce noise travel between rooms and floors. Also, there is an option to choose insulation in attic to improve energy efficiency.

Are those upgrades of any value? Are most people choosing them? why? Or is it just another way builder wants to squeeze out some more $?

I can't speak for new construction, but we are seriously thinking about opening up our walls and adding insulation to reduce energy usage.

moonchild508 said:
How much is the builder charging?

We didn't do the insulation upgrade. I wish we did.
~1700 for interior and ~700 for attic.

Just curious, what sort of experiences make you feel that way?

The kids rooms share a wall.  When we are in one room, we can hear everything in the other room.  One of the rooms is adjacent to the laundry room, so the noise from there would be reduced too if the walls are more insulated.  Hearing movements upstairs when one of us is downstairs is another reason.

So your hemming and hawing over 2,400 bucks??? I wish I was able to do it but they did not have the option nor would they let me go in and do it myself. Insulation is prob one of the cheapest building materials and your ROI is huge. Just go do it and don't think twice about it, believe me there are much bigger things to worry about than 2,400 bucks worth of insulation.
Have fun

Nimby said:
So your hemming and hawing over 2,400 bucks??? I wish I was able to do it but they did not have the option nor would they let me go in and do it myself. Insulation is prob one of the cheapest building materials and your ROI is huge. Just go do it and don't think twice about it, believe me there are much bigger things to worry about than 2,400 bucks worth of insulation.
Have fun

Yeah man. That's like 5 years worth of lunches at Taco Bell.

Cornflakes said:
Nimby said:
Have fun

Yeah man. That's like 5 years worth of lunches at Taco Bell.

I guess that's a good thing. You shouldn't be having lunch at Taco Bell.

It's worth every penny of it.
The insulation upgrade I paid included the garage exterior wall.
I especially like how my garage stays cool in hot summer days when my neighbors had to leave their garage gate open for ventilation.

We did the insulation. 

As an FYI - RAH's insulation does not include the garage, I asked and they wouldn't put it into the garage even when I offered to pay more, not sure if it was b/c they wanted to not delay our home, but you should ask to do the garage.  Different super now and I'm sure they want to keep buyers happy due to all the delays.

Cornflakes said:
Thanks all for the input. I am sold.

RAH 1
Taco Bell 0

I guess I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't get this unless I knew it was my forever home.  You'll never get your money back from it in resale.  Does it really bug you guys if someone on the top floor is walking around and you hear it below?  Doesn't bother me unless my kids are jumping up and down at which point I go find them and tell them to knock it off.

aquabliss said:
I guess I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't get this unless I knew it was my forever home.  You'll never get your money back from it in resale.  Does it really bug you guys if someone on the top floor is walking around and you hear it below?  Doesn't bother me unless my kids are jumping up and down at which point I go find them and tell them to knock it off.

This is 110% not our forever home and we got the insulation. Didn't have it in my last new construction and I can hear/feel a difference in this home versus last. And honestly, for $2k or so, it's not exactly $$$.  You can argue the "won't get your money back" for lots of things including things you may think have great roi but potential buyers just hate the choice.

aquabliss said:

I totally agree that this is zero resale value upgrade. It is more for avoiding the potential *kicking myself* in the future for the time I will be living in the home.

Cornflakes said:
aquabliss said:

I totally agree that this is zero resale value upgrade. It is more for avoiding the potential *kicking myself* in the future for the time I will be living in the home.

There are other things I would before insulation.

Once again, irvinites worrying about 2k. Amazing.

You spend $1m on a house and complain about 2k that will make your living experience more enjoyable over the next 5-7 years.

Back