Install Exterior Gas Valve?

lucky760

I'm considering (eventually) getting a BBQ grill for the patio and would like to opt for natural gas rather than propane. I see that there's a gas pipe stub sticking out of one of my patio walls but it just has a cap on it.

Is there some kind of valve you can buy at Home Depot to just screw onto that pipe? Or are you supposed to have the Gas Company or someone else come out to install something so you can use it?

Everyone with a new house has the same useless stub, so I'm guessing/hoping someone must know what to do with it.  :)

lucky said:
I'm considering (eventually) getting a BBQ grill for the patio and would like to opt for natural gas rather than propane. I see that there's a gas pipe stub sticking out of one of my patio walls but it just has a cap on it.

Is there some kind of valve you can buy at Home Depot to just screw onto that pipe? Or are you supposed to have the Gas Company or someone else come out to install something so you can use it?

Everyone with a new house has the same useless stub, so I'm guessing/hoping someone must know what to do with it.  :)

Check out this video on Ask This Old House (scene 4).  Yours should be much easier since the gas pipe already exists. The video will give you a visual on what you need.  Just keep in mind some grill companies/models do not come with or allow for conversion kits for safety reasons (ie don't want to get sued).  Good luck. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,20653174,00.html

Good luck

@No Quarter - Thanks again for swooping in and offering your expert patio knowledge!

I'm planning on a Weber grill that has a propane or natural gas version. The latter has a 10' hose, so I'm hoping that will suffice.

I suppose then it really just comes down to:
1) shutting off the gas to the entire house
2) getting the proper stub/valve that fits the pipe in the wall and is compatible with the grill's hose
3) safely unscrewing the pipe's cap and screwing on the new fitting
4) (optional) using soapy water to detect if there's any kind of a leak after turning the gas back on

Back