Indicator That the Bottom is Here!

Which bottom? SoCal RE or Irvine RE?

Will Riverside wait to bounce back once Irvine hits bottom? Or will the IE go bottom"er" because Irvine hasn't drained the Kool-Aid yet?

Will the IE get to such an affordability point that people start buying again and then that ripples out to other areas?

Methinks that is the reason why IHB 2.0 is coming.

Fundamentals is what many of us think should set pricing... but that hasn't worked for every single bubble in the past X years.

<em>"For the overall economy I think we are likely to bottom out this year,"</em> said White House adviser Christina Romer.

<a href="http://www.cnbc.com/id/30204439">bottom</a>

<a href="http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/14/bottom-calls-stocks-markets-equity-economy.html">3 banks call bottom</a>

if the banks are calling it...it MUST be true

<a href="http://lansner.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/14/oc-home-prices-seen-rising-11-in-next-year/18963/">Lansner</a> shows the bottom is in.

[quote author="awgee" date=1239869082]The Alt-A problem is contained! :p</blockquote>
Oh really....wow, I need to go out and buy now before I get priced out. haha I love knowing that all these people calling bottom will look like idiots in 6-12 months. Where's the "commercial real estate is near bottom" chant??? Oh and I'm sure we are near bottom with credit card delinquency rates too. NOT!

It appears that <a href="http://dailybail.com/home/the-black-swan-doesnt-need-a-bailout-dr-nassim-taleb-says-be.html">Nassim Taleb</a> is not convinced that the bottom is in. What does this guy Nassim know anyways?

[quote author="BondTrader" date=1239947816]I believe we have one more leg down.</blockquote>
Agreed, I think we take one more big hit in the fall/winter when the reality that we aren't gonna be recovering as expected and we hit a new low. My best guess would be DOW 5500-6000 and S&P 550-600.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1239949064][quote author="BondTrader" date=1239947816]I believe we have one more leg down.</blockquote>
Agreed, I think we take one more big hit in the fall/winter when the reality that we aren't gonna be recovering as expected and we hit a new low. My best guess would be DOW 5500-6000 and S&P 550-600.</blockquote>

also agree that there's another bear run but i'm undecided on the catalyst and timing. what could make the market realize that everything really isn't fine n dandy?

[quote author="irvine_grad" date=1239955243][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1239949064][quote author="BondTrader" date=1239947816]I believe we have one more leg down.</blockquote>
Agreed, I think we take one more big hit in the fall/winter when the reality that we aren't gonna be recovering as expected and we hit a new low. My best guess would be DOW 5500-6000 and S&P 550-600.</blockquote>

also agree that there's another bear run but i'm undecided on the catalyst and timing. what could make the market realize that everything really isn't fine n dandy?</blockquote>
More bank losses and the gov't having to step in to bail out WFC or BAC when the crap hits the fan. Maybe a few months of HUGE job losses (like 750k-900k). Just wanna-be expert keeps talking about a second half recovery so we know it wont happen.

My top 10 reason why bottom isn't here

<strong>1) Consumer price index is already deflating</strong>

The CPI is already in deflation mode, having fallen 0.4% on a year-over-year

basis, the first such negative trend since 1955. It is not just the actual deflation

rate, but the extent of the deceleration, since this time last year the pace was

running at +4.0%.

<strong>2) Pricing power is fading across a very broad front</strong>

This is not just a case of energy prices sliding from their lofty year-ago levels.

Looking at the CPI data sequentially and by sector, it is increasingly obvious that

pricing power is fading across a very broad front. Appliance prices fell 0.3% MoM

in March, apparel prices also dropped 0.3%, hotel rates sagged 2.4% and are

down six months in a row, airline fares also slipped 2.3% and have now deflated

seven months in a row, and home improvement materials fell 0.3%. In addition,

autos, communication services, restaurants and recreation were all basically flat.

<strong>3) More deflation coming down the road</strong>

Producer prices in March sank 1.2% sequentially and a record -3.5% year-overyear.

This time last year, the YoY rate was +6.7%, for a compression of over

1,000 basis points. The sustained deflation in the core crude and intermediate

price pipeline is probably a sign of what is still coming down the road in terms of

final goods prices.

<strong>

4) Home prices declining at an accelerating rate</strong>

Case-Shiller home prices are actually declining at an accelerating rate and are

down a record 19% year-over-year. The pace of decline is accelerating with the

three-month trend running at a -26.5% annual rate.

<strong>5) Real estate values of all types deflating at a record rate</strong>

Real estate values of all types are now deflating at a record rate: -11.5% YoY for

apartment buildings, -3.3% for industrial properties, -6.1% for office buildings, and

-2% for retail complexes.

<strong>

6) Record amount of spare capacity</strong>

The capacity utilization rate in manufacturing has declined to an all-time low of

65.8% from 66.9% in February and 77.7% a year ago. Only one other time in

recorded history has the CAPU rate fallen so far so fast.

<strong>7) Slack in the labor market at a lifetime high</strong>

The broadest measure of resource slack in the labor market is the U-6

unemployment rate and it rose to a lifetime high in March as well to 15.6% from

14.8% in February and 9.1% a year ago. Never before has the jobless rate risen

so fast.

<strong>

8) Bank credit has contracted for three straight months</strong>

Bank credit contracted at a 2.9% annual rate in March and has declined now for

three months in a row. Data into early April point to a fourth monthly decline,

which would be unprecedented.

<strong>9) Record decline in household incomes</strong>

Nominal personal incomes less government transfers deflated 0.5% in March and

have now fallen for six months in a row. Since last August, the personal sector

has lost $234 billion of organic income (wages/salaries, rent, interest, dividends,

and proprietary). Take it from us that such a decline in household incomes has

never happened before.

<strong>10) Household net worth has contracted $20 trillion</strong>

Household net worth has contracted $20 trillion or by 30% since the third quarter

of 2007. The lags on consumer spending and the savings rate can last as long

as three years.

<a href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aT5vhJoAh1rM&refer=home">Dallas Federal Reserve President Richard Fischer</a> says the economy may grow from here. Is that the same as "the bottom is in?"

[quote author="awgee" date=1240087568]<a href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aT5vhJoAh1rM&refer=home">Dallas Federal Reserve President Richard Fischer</a> says the economy may grow from here. Is that the same as "the bottom is in?"</blockquote>
His basis must be that banks are reporting record profits. haha You'd think that the higher ups that work for the FED would be smarter than that, guess not.

[quote author="awgee" date=1240344697]Now it is official. <a href="http://www.cnbc.com/id/30308782">Cramer</a> says the bottom is in.</blockquote>

geez. how many times has cramer called bottom now? 50? you get the feeling he's calling bottom every dip so when the REAL bottom kicks in, he can say he called it.

Back