Indian Food.

momopi said:
^^;;  my first job in High School was pushing shopping carts for Diho supermarket at Pioneer and 183rd.

Ah, the good old days of cheap $1.xx XL sized masala dosa.

Haha!  Sad to see that place close down.  Must have been hard when 99 Ranch opened up.
What HS did you go to?

Coleman said:
momopi said:
^^;;  my first job in High School was pushing shopping carts for Diho supermarket at Pioneer and 183rd.
Haha!  Sad to see that place close down.  Must have been hard when 99 Ranch opened up.
What HS did you go to?

Diho market in Artesia was effectively gone by early 90's, when it was sold to the owner of Hua-Wong market on South St.  The new owner could not compete with Ranch 99 and the couple newer Filipino markets that opened in the area.  There were negotiations to sell it to Indian grocers but the deal never went through.

I went to Artesia HS in Lakewood with Ed O'Bannon, if anyone still remember him from UCLA or NBA games.

momopi said:
Coleman said:
momopi said:
What HS did you go to?

Diho market in Artesia was effectively gone by early 90's, when it was sold to the owner of Hua-Wong market on South St.  The new owner could not compete with Ranch 99 and the couple newer Filipino markets that opened in the area.  There were negotiations to sell it to Indian grocers but the deal never went through.

I went to Artesia HS in Lakewood with Ed O'Bannon, if anyone still remember him from UCLA or NBA games.

Ed and Charles right?

All I remember from Artesia HS was Jason Kapono dunking on me.  I was a freshmen on Varsity and I think he was a Junior on Varsity.  Homie cuts back door on my center and I was caught helping... His size 12's were on my forehead as he threw it down... I got up, shook his hand and said "That was badass man!"... 

irvinehomeowner said:
You got dunked on by Jason Kapono? Wish I could have seen that.

Yep!  Freaking shook his hand and told me Congrats LOL... That guy was a celeb in high school.  I was watching him during shootaround... dude would not miss a shot!

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
momopi said:
Coleman said:
momopi said:
What HS did you go to?

Ed and Charles right?

All I remember from Artesia HS was Jason Kapono dunking on me.  I was a freshmen on Varsity and I think he was a Junior on Varsity.  Homie cuts back door on my center and I was caught helping... His size 12's were on my forehead as he threw it down... I got up, shook his hand and said "That was badass man!"... 

Charles is the younger brother who came in as the freshman as I was graduating.  I had classes with Ed but not his bother.  After his basketball career he moved to Vegas and worked at a car dealership, so you could go say hi and buy a car from him.  hehehehe.

I used to live just east of the baseball field, and my wife lived just west of the school parking lot.  If you went to AHS, we probably had the same teachers (Stonebreaker, Bronkhurst, Hardenrbook, etc).

I have no clue where this thread is going, but back to the original question..
Annapurna and India Cook house get my +1. I am not a big fan of eateries. We had a very bad experience. I shared it somewhere on TI.. If you like Dosas/ South Indian food, try Tirupati Bhima's in Artesia. Parking is easier than Rajdhani.

Went to Vishnu today after many months.  Due to COVID-19 they cannot do buffet, so they are now selling take-outs, $12 for weekdays and $15 for weekends.  For $12 you get enough food for 2 meals.  @_@  Lots of rice, 2 dishes, samosa, chutney, naan, rice pudding.  Generous portions.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/vishnu-irvine

Clay Oven is also offering take-outs at lunch and dinner, but discontinued their lunch specials.

If you keep going down Walnut right before Tustin Ranch Rd, you will find India Gate on the left hand side. India Gate is one of the best Indian restaurants around here. It's technically not Irvine, but it's only a few lights up from the 261/Jamboree so it's close enough.

Back