In defense of the motorcourt...

According to the general manager at Woodbury, "[Garages] should be closed when not in use".  However, as long as your neighbors also leave their garage doors open and none of your neighbors are snitches, I think it should be ok. 

Just curious for you motor court fans--where do you place your 6 sets of trash cans? Curbside on street near entrance of motor court or edge of your mini driveways within the motor court itself?

iacrenter said:
Just curious for you motor court fans--where do you place your 6 sets of trash cans? Curbside on street near entrance of motor court or edge of your mini driveways within the motor court itself?

Well, I am not really a fan of it even though I live in one.  For us, our trash cans goes to the curbside on street.

test said:
When I go home to park I don't want to worry about running over kids playing in front of my garage.

Even when you have a traditional SFH, you still have to watch for pedestrians on the sidewalk to get to your garage.  After living in a rental in Woodbury, I like the idea of the motorcourt because:

1.  Although I can't park on the street in front of my house, nobody else can either.
2.  People with dogs will not be walking by the front of my house and leaving their dog's cr@p for my kids to step in.

yafooligan said:
test said:
When I go home to park I don't want to worry about running over kids playing in front of my garage.

Even when you have a traditional SFH, you still have to watch for pedestrians on the sidewalk to get to your garage.  After living in a rental in Woodbury, I like the idea of the motorcourt because:

1.  Although I can't park on the street in front of my house, nobody else can either.
2.  People with dogs will not be walking by the front of my house and leaving their dog's cr@p for my kids to step in.

That is what you think. In reality, your neighbor will probably be an @ssh*le and fill his garage with everything other than his two large SUVs. He will then park them permanently on his short driveway and further reduce the feeling of space and aesthetics of the motor court. Your neighbor's guests will still try to park illegally in front of the driveway entrance and further clog the area. You are forced to choose: 1) Man up and have a neighborly conversation about parking etiquette 2) Or more likely since many of your neighbors will be Asian, passive aggressive types--many will call the HOA to complain and have the tow company solve your parking disputes.

I would just like to say that although the motorcourt magnifies neighbor issues... even in non-motorcourt tracts... a bad neighbor can still make life not so fun.

Although I prefer traditional driveway, sidewalk (and berm) with curbside parking... I also don't like it when other people park in front of my house. And I really can't say anything because I don't own the curb... and usually... the bigger the homes... the more occupants they will have and those curbs fill up. I guess that's also why I favor 3CWG... at least I own my massive driveway.

iacrenter said:
yafooligan said:
test said:

That is what you think. In reality, your neighbor will probably be an @ssh*le and fill his garage with everything other than his two large SUVs. He will then park them permanently on his short driveway and further reduce the feeling of space and aesthetics of the motor court. Your neighbor's guests will still try to park illegally in front of the driveway entrance and further clog the area. You are forced to choose: 1) Man up and have a neighborly conversation about parking etiquette 2) Or more likely since many of your neighbors will be Asian, passive aggressive types--many will call the HOA to complain and have the tow company solve your parking disputes.

While I agree with this as well.  I just want to point out one thing.  Even it's motorcourt, the driveway is not reduced size or lengh compare to Carmel or Sonoma.  It looks shorter because the lack of normal sidewalk.  In the homes with side walk, if one parks a SUV on it, it will almost block the sidewalk as well and it doesn't mean the sidewalk is a part of the drive way.

fe9000 said:
iacrenter said:
yafooligan said:
test said:

While I agree with this as well.  I just want to point out one thing.  Even it's motorcourt, the driveway is not reduced size or lengh compare to Carmel or Sonoma.  It looks shorter because the lack of normal sidewalk.  In the homes with side walk, if one parks a SUV on it, it will almost block the sidewalk as well and it doesn't mean the sidewalk is a part of the drive way.

My friend lives in Turtle Rock which have some SFH's with short driveways.  When they park in their driveway, their car sticks out on to the sidewalk.  His neighbors actually received parking tickets for this because...wait for it, wait for it...a passive aggressive Caucasian couple called the cops.

yafooligan said:
fe9000 said:
iacrenter said:
yafooligan said:
test said:

My friend lives in Turtle Rock which have some SFH's with short driveways.  When they park in their driveway, their car sticks out on to the sidewalk.  His neighbors actually received parking tickets for this because...wait for it, wait for it...a passive aggressive Caucasian couple called the cops.

Hehe...yes, yes I know... I am stereotyping Asians (I am Asian too) and being passive aggressive is a trait available to all  ;)

Eh, passive aggressive has its place.  If you don't know your neighbors too well and you think its possible that your call will be FAIRLY anonymous (like your HOA has people patrol regularly for violations or the violation affects a LOT of houses and not just the 2 closest to it) it might be better to just call management than risk starting a fight. 

Besides no one should get upset when they get punished for breaking their HOA rules.  They knew about them before they chose to buy the place (.....hopefully).    I'd call people on that crap all the time.  I would be the Liz Lemon of my HOA. 

But I would also never choose to live somewhere without a sufficient solution for convenient guest parking.      I also like the idea of washing my car or changing my oil in my drive way.  I never DO because I'm lazy  but I like to know that I could if I wanted to. 

I think changing oil on your driveway is a big NO-NO in most HOA.  Even my 40 year old HOA strictly prohibits doing any auto work in plain site.  The HOA requires that the auto work be done inside the garage with the garage door CLOSED.

Hopefully, washing cars on your driveway is OK in Woodbury.  I didn't look into it.

better check, my friend moved into a neighborhood that had "no washing cars in your driveway" in their HOA.  It was a small but unexpected additional expense for him to have to take the family cars to a car wash.    The no auto work in plain sight thing is really common -  I can understand not wanting a bunch  of ghetto broken cars constantly being worked on in a driveway but I think there's a big difference between that and some kind doing some minor car work in his drive way.  On modern cars anything besides very minor work (fixing lights and changing oil and what not) has to be done in a shop anyway.

Talyssa said:
better check, my friend moved into a neighborhood that had "no washing cars in your driveway" in their HOA.  It was a small but unexpected additional expense for him to have to take the family cars to a car wash.    The no auto work in plain sight thing is really common -  I can understand not wanting a bunch  of ghetto broken cars constantly being worked on in a driveway but I think there's a big difference between that and some kind doing some minor car work in his drive way.  On modern cars anything besides very minor work (fixing lights and changing oil and what not) has to be done in a shop anyway.

What neighborhood did your friend move into?

One of those neighborhoods with houses and an HOA.

>_>

Honestly I don't know, I do know its technically over the Tustin border but in the Irvine school district.  And it would have been new 4ish years ago? 

Talyssa said:

>_>

Honestly I don't know, I do know its technically over the Tustin border but in the Irvine school district.  And it would have been new 4ish years ago? 

Columbus Grove?

Talyssa said:

>_>

Sounds like Colombus Grove or Tustin Field II. 

On second thought, it would give me an excuse not to wash my wife's car.

Most TIC apartment complexes ban car washing within their properties. It would not surprise me if similar clauses are found within recent HOA regulations.

Back