Immigration Ban

eyephone said:
In retaliation Iran is going to ban US visitors.

Oh, noes. First Iraq, now Iran. There go all my Valentine's Day plans. Guess I'll have to settle for a romantic helicopter tour through the hills of Afghanistan instead.

SoCal said:
eyephone said:

Oh, noes. First Iraq, now Iran. There go all my Valentine's Day plans. Guess I'll have to settle for a romantic helicopter tour through the hills of Afghanistan instead.

The poppy fields are supposedly lovely. It's good that we're keeping the Iliad supply chain open. We're going to need it.

SoCal said:
eyephone said:

I hope the place you bought your holiday burqas at have a good return policy.

eyephone said:
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15C0NR

My comment: This is too funny.
Making Americans safe.  I'm tired of hearing about Americans getting caught in Iran. 

On a side note, at my previous home our neighbors were from Iran.  Around 2011 or 2012, the wife flew to Iran to see her family.  We noticed we haven't seen her in months.  We asked the dad, and he said there was a travel ban and she couldn't fly back.  She was stuck in Iran for about 6 months unable to come home to her family and 4 year old daughter.  That's pretty rough.

spootieho said:
eyephone said:
I guess I'll think twice before going to Starbucks.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-thousands-of-refugees-critics-want-a-boycott

"Howard Schultz, chief executive of the Starbucks coffee chain, has announced plans to hire thousands of refugees in dozens of countries around the world over the next five years. People who disagree with his stance have poured out their disdain with the hashtag #BoycottStarbucks"
I don't like how Starbucks gets political and you will never find me shopping there.  There's plenty of reasons to boycott them.

That said...

I think it's great that they are making a commitment to hiring refugees. 

Refugees come to our country legally and have a lot of hurdles to overcome.  They asked for help and we welcomed them here.  They typically have no money (though they get pretty good welfare).  They probably don't know our language.  They need to learn new skills to get jobs here.  Why get mad because someone offered them a job?  Why get mad at them for needing a job?

Why didn't Howard Schultz offer jobs to Americans/Veterans that are unemployed or struggling first?

eyephone said:
Why didn't Howard Schultz offer jobs to Americans/Veterans that are unemployed or struggling first?
As far as I know, they do hire Americans.  Do they have a policy to not hire veterans?  Do veterans even want to work there?  This sort of argument feels like it's hitting a few logical fallacies such as appeal to emotion. 

I feel that Starbucks is probably better suited to take on low skilled workers such as refugees and refugees have it pretty hard.  The fact and premise is, these refugees are here legally.  They asked for our help and we invited them here. 

I'm glad the president is keeping us safe from doctors

CHICAGO DOCTOR BLOCKED FROM RETURNING TO US SUES TRUMP

CHICAGO -- A Chicago doctor stranded overseas by the travel ban imposed by President Donald Trump is now taking on the president.

Dr. Amer al Homssi said he is "collateral damage" in Trump's immigration order, and is stranded in the Middle East where he traveled to get married 10 days ago.

When the University of Illinois - Chicago doctor tried to return to the U.S. on Sunday, he said American authorities overseas blocked him from boarding the plane home.

Al Homssi, 24, was at Abu Dhabi International Airport in the United Arab Emirates, heading home to Chicago where he works at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn as an internal medicine resident through his program at UIC.

Al Homssi is a Syrian native who holds a UAE passport and an American J-1 student visa.

The trouble began when al Homssi arrived to the check-in area for U.S. residents and visa-holders on Sunday.

Instead of processing him through for the flight home, al Homssi said he was ordered into secondary security screening where he voluntarily turned over his cell phone and other personal belongings.

A short time later, U.S. officers informed him he wasn't going anywhere because of Trump's executive order banning immigration from seven Muslim-majority nations, including Syria, where he was born.

"Classic insanity. I mean, it's just so ignorant and stupid. I don't understand it. I'm just embarrassed that my country would do something like that," said Thomas Durkin, al Homssi's attorney.

Durkin filed a federal lawsuit in Chicago naming top U.S. officials and stating that al Homssi is "collateral damage in President Trump's ill-planned and discriminatory executive order."

The suit states that Homssi's "dreadful consequences...are the result of his being a member of the Muslim faith that is now being treated differently in the United States."

As a result of the policy, al Homssi's American visa, his ticket back into the U.S., has a cancellation notice on it that was handwritten by an American Homeland Security agent in Abu Dhabi, preventing him from returning to Chicago.

Al Homssi was supposed to be at work on Wednesday, and if he loses his medical residency he could actually be returned to Syria. As he waits overseas, his attorneys will ask a federal judge for emergency relief in the case.
http://abc7.com/news/doctor-blocked-from-returning-to-us-sues-trump/1731025/

Perspective said:
Just shakin' things up and a big FU to the Establishment (whoever that is) - just what Trump voters wanted!

What do you expect? Things are changing and we have to keep up. Just look at Europe out of control. Big time problems with the refugees.

The wife from San Bernadino shooting came here with a K1 Visa.

Another thing to bring up there are many people that are over staying their visa.

eyephone said:
Perspective said:
Just shakin' things up and a big FU to the Establishment (whoever that is) - just what Trump voters wanted!

What do you expect? Things are changing and we have to keep up. Just look at Europe out of control. Big time problems with the refugees.

Another thing to bring up there are many people that are over staying their visa.

Using that logic, we should ban all Asians from universities because the Virginia Tech shooter was Asian and the UC Santa Barbara shooter was half Asian.

And another thing, there are a lot of people here on fake H1B visas.  Isn't there a poster here who can explain the fraudulent immigrant visa practices that operate in Irvine.  Just a hint - they don't serve people from the Middle East.

Loco_local said:
eyephone said:
Perspective said:

Using that logic, we should ban all Asians from universities because the Virginia Tech shooter was Asian and the UC Santa Barbara shooter was half Asian.

And another thing, there are a lot of people here on fake H1B visas.  Isn't there a poster here who can explain the fraudulent immigrant visa practices that operate in Irvine.  Just a hint - they don't serve people from the Middle East.

The difference between San Bernadino incident vs Virgina tech and Ucsb is that the San Berndino shooters were inspired by a terrorist group. Also, the Virgina Tech and ucsb students had mental health issues.

How do you know there are many people on TI has a fake HIB visas? Also, how do you that there isn't a person from the Middle East over stayed there visa?

I originally stated there is a problem with people over staying their visas. (I did not single out an area)

Sorry, you're right. By "here", I meant the US in general or more specifically Orange County, not anyone from TI.

Back