Illegal garage conversion

kwest_IHB

We recently became aware that the seller on a home that we're looking at illegally converted the garage- originally 3 car tandem but now 2 car garage with an extra room. I have been told that any worthy appraiser will figure this out as well and that the lender will likely not fund on a home with an illegal conversion. I've talked to the city of Irvine and they said it should be a simple enough process to bring the room up to code since it is not a bedroom and there are still 2 parking spots. Has anyone had experience with this- either a lender not funding or bringing an illegal conversion up to code?

My understanding is that conventional lenders usually won't have a problem lending on a property with an unpermitted add-on, although FHA might have problems. The unpermitted area will not count as additional square footage for appraisal purposes; everybody pretends it doesn't exist. A partial garage conversion of this sort sounds less problematic than a conversion of the entire garage (which, depending on the city, probably could never be made legal-most cities want some covered parking) or an actual addition (which is more complicated and more likely to have construction quality problems).

Living space floor must be at least 4 inches higher than the garage slab. I doubt the violator added the topping slab to raise the finish floor to meet code.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249530214]Living space floor must be at least 4 inches higher than the garage slab. I doubt the violator added the topping slab to raise the finish floor to meet code.</blockquote>

Off topic...but whats the reasoning/history behind that rule?

[quote author="25inIrvine" date=1249531741][quote author="bkshopr" date=1249530214]Living space floor must be at least 4 inches higher than the garage slab. I doubt the violator added the topping slab to raise the finish floor to meet code.</blockquote>

Off topic...but whats the reasoning/history behind that rule?</blockquote>

That code is in place for the same reason that gas water heaters (or closets) are elevated. Noxious fumes and gasses drop to ground level as they are more dense than standing air.

Garage slab often has a concrete curb along its perimeter. Water is usually an issue in the garage. If the finish floor is the same level as the garage a flood in the garage will seep into the illegal space. The water is a ground and complete the electrical circuit. Water that is trapped below the illegal mud sill will rot and cause mold inside the framing.

Newbie question -- are *ALL* conversions of this type (3-car garage into 2-car garage + extra-room) automatically illegal? Or is it a matter of taking the time to get the right permit from the city, and adhering to proper building code?

I've seen at least 1 house in my old neighborhood converted from 3-car garage into a 2-car garage + "office room." I didn't think anything about it, because I assumed the homeowners knew what they were doing. (And I know for a fact that only 1 family lives there.)

When builders offer a bedroom or office option in a garage bay part of the option price includes a higher concrete pour on the garage slab where living space will be built.

It was always preferred that the option be ordered prior to pour since an overpour is not as good as a monolithic pour in one stage. It also affected the building permit costs when based on living space.

Enjoy!

[quote author="nefron" date=1256544831]So bkshpr, why doesn't the water in the garage rot the garage framing?</blockquote>

Because the slab is poured with what he has called a "curb", basically a 3-4 inch height difference between the wall and the floor. The base of the stud walls rest on this "curb" and the drywall either butts flush against it or extends down to the slab floor. Either way, the "curb" acts like tub walls holding the water within the contained space and preventing it from entering the house. The "curb" is most obvious on either interior side of the garage door.

Back