[IHB] Open House Review: 18762 Via San Marco

thanks for the write up. I have looked at this house (internet only) and here are my thoughts: for that price, i would at least like to have 3 bathrooms and newer roof; alos how much of that lot is lost to the slope which as you go higher up, the wall b/t the neighbor is gone so can you pet run to next door?; with so many windows, wouldnt the house be quite cold (heat loss) during winter and also that you would pretty much have to drapes on the whole wall in certain places; that kind of garage: isnt it hard to back out of? finally, at 575/sq foot, for some place that hasnt been updated (kitchen tile, etc), that's more expensive that places that are higher up in the hill. next door was offered at 509/sq ft for a long time b/f it went pending. i think pricing is a bit of a stretch. 34 mountain view closed at  431/sq ft; 1 bluff and 17 bluff all closed around 500/sq ft...clearly the listing agent and the owner are smoking something funny...just one man's 5c worth...

Agree, priced too high, though a nice location.

Any idea how much it would cost to completely renovate an old house like this (ballpark, of course)?  Meaning tearing down inside walls to make an open floor plan, extending the back wall of the house towards the backyard, adding 1000 sq ft of living space, adding more bathrooms/bedroom, completely renovating the kitchen, etc?

Or the name of a general contractor/architect you might recommend who might know?

I was there over the weekend open house. The house had most of the original features. They replaced most of the aluminum sliding glass doors typical of ranch houses in that era with french doors and cased windows a decade or two ago. I thought  removing this inhibited the connection of indoor/ outdoor living and compromised the stylistic integrity of the house. Only 2 baths and carpet around the master toilet (Blech!).

The agent there told us there were already 6 offers on it: 2 of them all cash. I am still not understanding why this area would typically command a 200K premium over neighboring University Park.

matchbox said:
I was there over the weekend open house. The house had most of the original features. They replaced most of the aluminum sliding glass doors typical of ranch houses in that era with french doors and cased windows a decade or two ago. I thought  removing this inhibited the connection of indoor/ outdoor living and compromised the stylistic integrity of the house. Only 2 baths and carpet around the master toilet (Blech!).

The agent there told us there were already 6 offers on it: 2 of them all cash. I am still not understanding why this area would typically command a 200K premium over neighboring University Park.

Why is still not pending after on the market for 48 days? Those offers must be lowball ones.

BrigMuller said:

Any idea how much it would cost to completely renovate an old house like this (ballpark, of course)?  Meaning tearing down inside walls to make an open floor plan, extending the back wall of the house towards the backyard, adding 1000 sq ft of living space, adding more bathrooms/bedroom, completely renovating the kitchen, etc?

Or the name of a general contractor/architect you might recommend who might know?

paging IHS....seriously IHS, you really should write a post on buying an old house and modernizing it.  what is realistic and what isnt possible, how much would basic things cost, etc.  you have me looking at TR and dare i say, north tustin!?!  the idea of sitting in a backyard like this and not hearing a soul sounds too good to be true:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/14152-Windsor-Pl-92705/home/4479957

flipper said:
matchbox said:

Why is still not pending after on the market for 48 days? Those offers must be lowball ones.
There are realtards out there that still show a property as active even if they are in escrow with an agreed upon offer...my experience was of a home over in Long Beach which was active with an offer in escrow and the listing finally went pending within a week of it closing. 

rkp said:
BrigMuller said:

paging IHS....seriously IHS, you really should write a post on buying an old house and modernizing it.  what is realistic and what isnt possible, how much would basic things cost, etc.  you have me looking at TR and dare i say, north tustin!?!  the idea of sitting in a backyard like this and not hearing a soul sounds too good to be true:
Wow, that lot is HUGE and so is that driveway.  I'd be very tempted if I have a budget of over $700k and was still looking to buy.

rkp said:
BrigMuller said:

Windsor is a very nice home. Nicely updated kitchen and loads of potential in the yard space in a good location. Suffers a bit in lacking some curb appeal but could be remedied fairly inexpensively (fix the friggin fence!)
Very nice "window" of the home, which is what you (and friends/family when they come to visit) see as you approach the home. By "window" I mean the context of the home within the neighborhood and particularly its street.
The difficulties of this home is the usage for the few clients I had that were interested here. The bathrooms here are not sufficient to support the # of bedrooms for people with a busy morning routine.
The listing agent, Don Hall, is as good a man as you'll ever meet; straightforward and honest in all the dealings I've had with him.

I know of a couple of other properties that might be interesting for you if you're considering something like Windsor, in a similar price range.

-IR2

USCTrojanCPA said:
There are realtards out there that still show a property as active even if they are in escrow with an agreed upon offer...my experience was of a home over in Long Beach which was active with an offer in escrow and the listing finally went pending within a week of it closing. 

Trojan, lately I've been wondering if agents feel the need to keep the status active due to sites like Redfin refusing to show a home which is listed as pending, even if the backup buyer is motivated (in addition to the other reasons.) That policy could just create more trickery.

thats a great point socal...i can totally see that.  redfin should change their policy on houses willing to take backup offers

next door just closed at 486/sq ft..and this is still at 535/sq ft. it's gonna be slow torture on the way down...and this one is still in original condition.

Back