If your budget is $750k to $850k....

If you budget is $750k to $850k, would you buy 3 bed/2 bath traditional single family home that is older (built in late 1970s to 1980s), or would you buy a 3 bed/2 bath detached condo motor court (less than 3 years old to newly built). Square footage is about the same for both homes (1500-1700 sq feet). The older home requires some renovation (kitchen/baths).

I know it?s a matter of personal preference and there are pros and cons of each.

Does it make sense to buy new since this is Irvine?

Buy the SFR and remodel. You'll get more bang for you buck. And as you mentioned, you have an Irvine address either way. This is personal experience. I was able to sell my older SFR faster and for more than the condo I had my eye on that was newer. Took the proceeds and rolled it over to CV.

I faced a similar budget and scenario last year. Ended up going with the detached condo (Jasmine @ Cypress Village Plan 3). One thing that's usually not mentioned is that it's easier to buy a new home, just put your name on the list and wait until they call you. If you are going for an older home you will bidding with dozens of other people who are paying all cash and can probably outbid you. New homes they don't care if you're an all cash buyer and everyone pays the same price. Here's the pros of each in my opinion:

NEW DETACHED
Likely no major repairs or issues for a decade plus - I bought a new house in Corona/Eastvale in 2003 and to this date haven't dealt with anything
Better insulation for sound and AC/heater
Better, open floorplans (preference) - wife loves huge kitchen with tons of cabinets, counter and island space. I love the huge Great Room for my home theater (old places have smaller rooms with the fireplace right where the TV should be) and seating positions. I purposely got a plan with conservatory that I use for my office and which added almost 200 sq ft for a few grand more. Others enjoy a California Room. Master bedroom closet and bathrooms are usually bigger in newer homes too.
Maintenance of front yard taken care of by HOA
Usually closer to schools, parks, pools/BBQ areas - we are a block or two away from all of these
Ethernet in every room, more electrical plugs

OLDER SFR
May go up in price more
No Mella-Roos
Driveway
Larger backyard
Dining room if desired - I only used the dining room in my other house a couple times a year, I prefer a Great Room
Probably better location

May face the same decision down the road if we decide to upgrade to a bigger place. I do like the driveway, backyards and lack of Mella Roos of the older places. But then I look at the inside pictures and the living room and kitchen seem tiny.

Lanes End are steel framed homes. Helps with the termites but I think the insulation is not as good as a wood framed home.

ChasingRainbows said:

Both are very well staged and photographed.. and both are overpriced... Not much room for appreciation when you pay over $460/sqft IMO. Sheldon has brand new homes for $350/sqft... Even if you think there are some negatives to Sheldon, you still have a ton more room to go up.

For example, I bought a home around the same time as the Larkfield home for about the same price but with 25% more square footage (though admittedly a worse location). If I listed my home for $769K it'd sell in a week because there is not a single detached 4bedroom resale in Irvine under $800k right now.

If you can get in on an early Sheldon phase you'll probably have $100k+ in appreciation by the time you close escrow.

paperboyNC said:
Not sure why you are limited to 3bd/2ba. Here's a good older home with a big lot if you can renovate:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/15062-Sonny-Cir-92604/home/4682347

Sorry to hijack this thread, but just had to make a comment on this property.. It was bought for 45k in 1973 and then it got foreclosed for $828k last year!  WTF is wrong with the original owner?  The property tax was $995/year.  Crazy...

I'll have a West Irvine 2,100sf remodeled detached SFR listing coming up in a few weeks in the high $800s.  Corner lot, full driveway, no HOA, and Mello Roos of around $1,000/yr. 

Back