If you were to move out of Irvine (and California), where would you buy a home today?

I’ve lived in Hawaii 60% of my life. The weather is too humid and hot all the time. SoCal weather is pretty darn nice. I like how it gets cold but not freezing. The summers however can be quite dry here and not great for my skin. But it’s generally 1-2 months of the year that happens.

I moved out of Irvine and back to Cerritos area due to wife's work situation (her office is in Rosemead). I can tell you that there is a difference going to the shops/supermarket, where Irvine stores are better stocked with fewer items under lock and key. When I was looking for children's Tylenol (grape flavor) the Walgreens near me was sold out, versus Irvine stores were well stocked. Perhaps an unfair comparison, the H Mart in Lakewood is not comparable to the 2 new H Marts that opened in Irvine.

What I did get moving out of Irvine, is a cul-de-sac single story 4 bed SFR with a real yard, gardening space, 3 fruit trees, 2 car garage, 4 car driveway, and neighbors on first name basis who I give house key to in case of emergency when we're away on trips.

As for Lake Elsinore, I've been an investor in Riverside County real estate for over a decade and used to own 3 properties out there. I'm not a fan of Lake Elsinore & Wildomar area. For investment, I'd either buy near a Metrolink station north of Lake Elsinore, or go south and invest in Murrieta/Temecula. For Temecula just look along Rancho California Rd. But it's not comparable to Napa (up St. Helena and beyond) if you actually want to live there. For new build homes, Eastvale has a lot of new SFR communities replacing the diary business, plus a new Ranch 99 that looks pretty nice.

Many of you have said that you'd live in Hawaii part time of the year. If I was given that option, I'd pick Alaska during the warmer months.

For the elderly years when I might require part time or full time care, Thailand offers more affordable option - the nursing homes here are ridiculously priced. But I can't say if the prices will remain cheap when I need it. If I get eaten by a bear in Alaska then I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I moved out of Irvine and back to Cerritos area due to wife's work situation (her office is in Rosemead). I can tell you that there is a difference going to the shops/supermarket, where Irvine stores are better stocked with fewer items under lock and key. When I was looking for children's Tylenol (grape flavor) the Walgreens near me was sold out, versus Irvine stores were well stocked. Perhaps an unfair comparison, the H Mart in Lakewood is not comparable to the 2 new H Marts that opened in Irvine.

What I did get moving out of Irvine, is a cul-de-sac single story 4 bed SFR with a real yard, gardening space, 3 fruit trees, 2 car garage, 4 car driveway, and neighbors on first name basis who I give house key to in case of emergency when we're away on trips.

As for Lake Elsinore, I've been an investor in Riverside County real estate for over a decade and used to own 3 properties out there. I'm not a fan of Lake Elsinore & Wildomar area. For investment, I'd either buy near a Metrolink station north of Lake Elsinore, or go south and invest in Murrieta/Temecula. For Temecula just look along Rancho California Rd. But it's not comparable to Napa (up St. Helena and beyond) if you actually want to live there. For new build homes, Eastvale has a lot of new SFR communities replacing the diary business, plus a new Ranch 99 that looks pretty nice.

Many of you have said that you'd live in Hawaii part time of the year. If I was given that option, I'd pick Alaska during the warmer months.

For the elderly years when I might require part time or full time care, Thailand offers more affordable option - the nursing homes here are ridiculously priced. But I can't say if the prices will remain cheap when I need it. If I get eaten by a bear in Alaska then I wouldn't have to worry about it.
Cerritos itself is very nice and highly underrated and you have the best Indian food this side of New Jersey

Windsong Ranch in Prosper, Texas. Check out the massive 5 acre man-made lagoon. Wow.
We have friends that live here, I've visited multiple times. In August 2018 we were really close to purchasing a 3,800sq ft Highland home right across from the Lagoon for $418k... I couldn't believe homes were so cheap and they include a LOT of standard options that would be really $$$ upgrades in Irvine. I'm sure that house is $1.2M+ now :(

I think I've mentioned this before, I've had friends and relatives move to TX... and most have moved right back.

For those who start in TX, that's a different story... they are used to it... but always say how nice the weather here is in SoCal... even during our "hot" summers.

I think I've mentioned this before, I've had friends and relatives move to TX... and most have moved right back.

For those who start in TX, that's a different story... they are used to it... but always say how nice the weather here is in SoCal... even during our "hot" summers.
We have 2 sets of friends who have moved to North Dallas and so far both are still there. They like it, but yes the weather took some getting used to. Most everyone complains about the TX Property Tax but with Irvine Mellos, I figure it's about the same. At least we have Prop13 though, once you move there you don't want your house price to skyrocket since the tax base is re-evaluated annually.

Yeah... they mentioned property tax to me too but there are many other things that are cheaper there than here.

I just can't deal with the weather... I like to be outdoors a lot... maybe that's why I can't leave SoCal.

Yeah... they mentioned property tax to me too but there are many other things that are cheaper there than here.

I just can't deal with the weather... I like to be outdoors a lot... maybe that's why I can't leave SoCal.
I went on business trips to Dallas a few times when I was working at TI. First time I went there was in April. I got sick because it was hot and too dry. Yeah, I can't deal with TX weather either.

The last 2 times I went to Dallas was in August and our SoCal Weather was almost just as bad and muggy as it was over there. It was noticeably different but not drastically. However, in Texas this lasts from May to November every year. In SoCal it's only that bad for a couple months per year.

Also the bugs are pretty crazy, at night they have crickets and cicadas everywhere. Can't walk outside without stepping on a cricket. Also at our friends community they were overrun by Frogs in the summer. Frogs in the yard, Frogs in driveway, Frogs on the Street. Dead and smashed frogs everywhere. Ya, that was pretty gross.

Thailand doesn’t sound like a bad idea… but the humidity and heat is miserable….it’s Hawaii on steroids.

I went on business trips to Dallas a few times when I was working at TI. First time I went there was in April. I got sick because it was hot and too dry. Yeah, I can't deal with TX weather either.
Not sure about the weather….but I have been to DFW areas on many business trips as well, the landscape is boring as hell. Just a big sprawl on a flat land. I don’t see a reason moving there unless you want bigger house or for political reasons

Not sure about the weather….but I have been to DFW areas on many business trips as well, the landscape is boring as hell. Just a big sprawl on a flat land. I don’t see a reason moving there unless you want bigger house or for political reasons
I heard that a lot of TI'ers lived in Plano.

Cerritos itself is very nice and highly underrated and you have the best Indian food this side of New Jersey

I think Cerritos and Irvine public parks have the cleanest restrooms, and Cerritos library has a great kid's section - I'm actually on the Norwalk side north of the Cerritos Library, saved $$$$$$ when buying the house (!). Cerritos has aging population and the schools are running low on kids, so they're accepting transfers from nearby cities - you don't have to live in Cerritos to send your kids there (ABC district) for school, assuming they accept your application. Same with Los Alamitos/Rossmoor - parents need to apply as early as Feb there and not wait until Summer.

Back in the 1980s I used to eat at Standard Sweets on Pioneer in Artesia. I was in HS working at a supermarket on weekends, I think $3.25/hr then. I paid $1.50 for giant masala dosa with fillings, 2 dipping sauces, soup, and mango lassi at Standard Sweets. Then I splurge on the jalebi for a sugar high. Sadly they are long gone. But recently when I drove by on Pioneer Blvd., I noticed some street side food vendors on the weekend. Don't think they're selling dosa or vada pav, will have to take a closer look some time.

Last edited:
Back