If you were to move out of Irvine (and California), where would you buy a home today?

We considered Cerritos when buying our house but ultimately decided on Irvine. A lot of people say Cerritos is comparable to Irvine, but personally, I don't think you can compare the two.

Cerritos is centrally located, has great food options, houses typically have large yards, and the school system is outstanding. But besides that, the city seemed kind of run down. Landscaping maintained by the city looks dead and weedy. Shopping centers are old and dingy. Parts of Cerritos don't seem safe, especially those bordering Lakewood and Hawaiian Gardens. Finally, being in LA County isn't ideal.

I know that 30-40 years ago Cerritos was the place to be. I hope Irvine is observing from a city planning/maintenance perspective to ensure Irvine doesn't get all run down in the future decades.

We considered Cerritos when buying our house but ultimately decided on Irvine. A lot of people say Cerritos is comparable to Irvine, but personally, I don't think you can compare the two.

Cerritos is centrally located, has great food options, houses typically have large yards, and the school system is outstanding. But besides that, the city seemed kind of run down. Landscaping maintained by the city looks dead and weedy. Shopping centers are old and dingy. Parts of Cerritos don't seem safe, especially those bordering Lakewood and Hawaiian Gardens. Finally, being in LA County isn't ideal.

I know that 30-40 years ago Cerritos was the place to be. I hope Irvine is observing from a city planning/maintenance perspective to ensure Irvine doesn't get all run down in the future decades.
It's not a city thing, it's a resident age thing. You already see it in the older neighborhoods of Irvine.

The challenge for cities is to get people once their kids are out of high school to get out of their house and into a smaller lower maintenance house and yard.

I would think the Irvine company will do a good job of maintaining their apartment/office/retail buildings. They understand that the appearance of the city is part of the overall appeal (this appears the to be reason you picked Irvine over Cerritos). If they keep things looking pretty, it will continue to meet the expectations of the high income earners who pay the high home prices who expect to live in pretty city with newer looking facilities. I’m guessing they are probably the largest supporter of IUSD as well. Keeping the city clean and newer looking helps keep the cash flow coming in.

It's not a city thing, it's a resident age thing. You already see it in the older neighborhoods of Irvine.

The challenge for cities is to get people once their kids are out of high school to get out of their house and into a smaller lower maintenance house and yard.

I don't think it's a resident-age thing. It's about the city's focus on maintenance and keeping major infrastructure up-to-date. Frankly speaking, Cerritos looks like it kind of let itself go. An older city that seems to do a good job of upkeep is San Marino and certain pockets of Pasadena.

The city of Irvine and TIC currently do a great job on maintenance. And as qwerty mentions, they need to continue to keep it up.

For those who want to see some unkempt parts of Irvine... check out some West Irvine hoods (for newer) and Walnut village. :)

The Arbor Village shopping center shows its age but I think they are trying to freshen it up. It's all the non-TIC shopping areas that look old.

I don't think it's a resident-age thing. It's about the city's focus on maintenance and keeping major infrastructure up-to-date. Frankly speaking, Cerritos looks like it kind of let itself go. An older city that seems to do a good job of upkeep is San Marino and certain pockets of Pasadena.

The city of Irvine and TIC currently do a great job on maintenance. And as qwerty mentions, they need to continue to keep it up.

it’s the same problem many small dying rural towns have. The people age, there spending in local businesses decreases, once their age hits a tipping point, many go into deferred maintenance mode on the homes and subsequently spend even less in the local businesses.

The businesses close, commercial space rents go soft, tax revenues fall right as useful life expectancy of the subdivisions infrastructure.

Irvine has TIC and the HOAs, that’ll help, but neighborhoods stratify.

But Irvine is not a small rural town. Dont they have budget surpluses? And I don’t think there is comparable setup with another town having something like the Irvine company behind it. TIC and the city have mutually beneficial interests. TIC is the the big shark and the city is like those little fish that feed off of its leftovers - they have a symbiotic relationship

For those who want to see some unkempt parts of Irvine... check out some West Irvine hoods (for newer) and Walnut village. :)

The Arbor Village shopping center shows its age but I think they are trying to freshen it up. It's all the non-TIC shopping areas that look old.

West Irvine, Walnut Village, El Camino Real, Racquet Club, Woodbridge, and even Northwood and Brywood are older parts of Irvine. You can definitely tell which ones have HOA's and which don't. But, when you're driving to the neighborhoods, it looks clean and well-maintained. Culver and Jamboree are kept in good shape. Definitely aren't seeing dead plants or feel like you're in Arizona with all the drought-tolerant landscaping that some cities are defaulting to.

West Irvine, Walnut Village, El Camino Real, Racquet Club, Woodbridge, and even Northwood and Brywood are older parts of Irvine. You can definitely tell which ones have HOA's and which don't. But, when you're driving to the neighborhoods, it looks clean and well-maintained. Culver and Jamboree are kept in good shape. Definitely aren't seeing dead plants or feel like you're in Arizona with all the drought-tolerant landscaping that some cities are defaulting to.
My parents bought in Racquet Club in the late 80s when moving from Pasadena specifically because it lacked HOA as well as the house having a big grass backyard, not too common in the newer developments. I told them they were dumb not to buy in Turtle Rock. At the time my siblings went to IHS but I imagine now it districts into Northwood.

I lived in Lakewood for about 6 years from 1983-1989, next to Artesia High school on the south side of the Del Amo divided between Cerritos and Lakewood. I can tell you that the difference was brutally obvious then and now. On the Cerritos side the streets are wide and homes nicer, on the Lakewood side, the streets are narrow and houses not as nice (still priced at $700k+ in today's crazy market). But if you lived in more prestigious areas of Cerritos like Shadow Park, you'd think the Cerritos neighborhood next to Lakewood to be a step down:

Cerritos doesn't really have a "slum side", the streets, homes, landscaping and parks are generally nicer than nearby cities. In contrast, cities like Buena Park, Downey, Fullerton, etc. have an obvious upscale side vs slum side. Most neighborhoods in Cerritos does not have HOA, so the landscaping and upkeep varies. Although Cerritos does have many medium sized businesses in its industrial & business parks, it's not comparable to Irvine in job offerings -- I commute to Irvine for work. Shopping and food options in Cerritos is adequate but not exceptional.

My parents bought in Racquet Club in the late 80s when moving from Pasadena specifically because it lacked HOA as well as the house having a big grass backyard, not too common in the newer developments. I told them they were dumb not to buy in Turtle Rock. At the time my siblings went to IHS but I imagine now it districts into Northwood.

Turtle Rock park has a community center with very nice afterschool program for kids M-F:

Back