If you could change one thing in your home, what would it be?

Kings said:
kbinteriordesign said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Not true, some of us are car nuts and need larger garages.  I'd love to buy a 4-car garage in Irvine or Tustin Ranch but those homes are little bit above my budget. :D

I agree, we love our garage! We are big sports fans and had our epoxy floor done in black, white and grey for LA Kings colors. It also matches our cars! We are planning to put in grey or black cabinets with overhead storage, then hang up some of my husband's Kings memorabilia.

can i move in with you guys?

Haha you can come visit. :) Are you a Kings fan, too?

kbinteriordesign said:
Kings said:
kbinteriordesign said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Not true, some of us are car nuts and need larger garages.  I'd love to buy a 4-car garage in Irvine or Tustin Ranch but those homes are little bit above my budget. :D

I agree, we love our garage! We are big sports fans and had our epoxy floor done in black, white and grey for LA Kings colors. It also matches our cars! We are planning to put in grey or black cabinets with overhead storage, then hang up some of my husband's Kings memorabilia.

oh yeah, been following the kings for over 20 years...somehow even snuck into my TI name  :D

GKG!

Kings said:
kbinteriordesign said:
Kings said:
kbinteriordesign said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

oh yeah, been following the kings for over 20 years...somehow even snuck into my TI name  :D

GKG!

So did you become a fan when Wayne came over from Edmonton?

Kings said:

GKG!

Very cool! Always great to meet another Kings fan! My husband grew up watching the Kings with his dad and have been fans for a long time. We literally just gave up our season tickets because we are pregnant with our first baby, so getting up to LA this season was going to be a little tough. The loss to Vegas in the playoffs was real hard. Their fans are something else, let me tell you. Worse than Jets fans! LOL... So glad the Caps got them in the end!  ;D

We have a single vanity in our master and would love for it to be a double. Adjacent to the sink, but separated is the shower and toilet, which we would like to replace the door with a pocket door. The challenge is relocating a light switch and gfi outlet. It?s on the future to do list.

I need to re-do my front and rear landscaping (paver driveway with turf in the front and add a spa to my pool along with conversion to a saltwater pool plus hardscaping).  I'm waiting for the economy to cool a bit before I go down that path.

3CWG.  I would have been okay with an older floorplan but wife didn't care about garage and likes kitchens with center islands that you have to reach to clean the middle of the countertop.

irvinehomeowner said:
You can always renovate and build that island, much harder to add a 3CWG. :)

I love the look of 3 car wide garages. When done right, it adds so much to the curb appeal. I always get slightly disappointed when I see a property advertised as a 3 car garage only to discover that one side is tandem, haha.

KB Home, 1994 vintage.

The driveways in our neighborhood are deeper than needed. There's a regular curb, then the driveway, then the house. I'd rather have seen the home moved 5 feet forward, shrinking the driveway overhang while still retaining a reasonable curb for pedestrians, giving the property a 5 foot deeper back yard.

The other thing I wish we had was the AC unit on the roof somewhere. It's blocking yard access on one side of the property. If it was on the roof, and shielded properly, my guess is that the noise would be minimal. It would be a real plus to have extra access space to our back yard.

My .02c

SGIP

Soylent Green Is People said:
KB Home, 1994 vintage.

The driveways in our neighborhood are deeper than needed. There's a regular curb, then the driveway, then the house. I'd rather have seen the home moved 5 feet forward, shrinking the driveway overhang while still retaining a reasonable curb for pedestrians, giving the property a 5 foot deeper back yard.

The other thing I wish we had was the AC unit on the roof somewhere. It's blocking yard access on one side of the property. If it was on the roof, and shielded properly, my guess is that the noise would be minimal. It would be a real plus to have extra access space to our back yard.

My .02c

SGIP

BKShopr on the old IHB had a few rules regarding ideal setbacks and lot sizes:

1.    House area should not exceed 40% of lot size.

2.    Front setback should match the house width.

3.    Side yard width should be ? of building height.

4.    Garage width should be 40% or less of house width.

5.    Rear yard depth should be house height + 50%.

I don't think you can find new construction in Irvine would meet these requirements.

Ooh you guys are talking about real building specs. Now I'm getting excited!

I would build a home with wider stairs and hallways, as well as with steel windows and doors, and the house itself would be designed for optimal energy efficiency and indoor health quality.

iacrenter said:
KB Home, 1994 vintage.

My .02c

SGIP

I don't think you can find new construction in Irvine would meet these requirements.

90% of new builds now don't even meet one of those requirements

Kings said:
iacrenter said:
KB Home, 1994 vintage.

My .02c

SGIP

90% of new builds now don't even meet one of those requirements

This is the ?cost? of new construction in Irvine. TIC and builders  have sacrificed home aesthetics and community design at the altar of maximizing profit. Things will only get worse as land value goes up.

If I could go back in time and change one thing, I would forgo the outdoor dinning area and build my pool 8 - 10 feet longer. Every time I swim I feel like I am in a fish tank. And only used the outdoor dinning area once in 2 years.

Back