IAC Parking Woes

wow. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. Maybe if they had left out Giotto it wouldn't be AS painful to read it (apartment near the 405 and Jamboree is nice and vague, kinda like that article about the bank robber who shot himself last week).

[quote author="ABC123" date=1250651825]Reading this tread I have to wonder once again what is the advantage of paying $2500+ a month to rent a cracker jack box versus buying something (maybe not in Irvine).

I love how some (or one) of the people who commented on this thread also said that the reason why they spend a fortune to RENT and APARTMENT was because they wanted to feel special and avoid low income folks (yeah, I'm paraphrasing).</blockquote>

I just skimmed the posts, and I don't see it, so I really hope that it's not me you're referring to. I realize a lot is lost when you use text, but still. As to why one might pay 2500+ to rent a box in Irvine rather than buy a house somewhere... for us, it's a combination of proximity to work (location), the ability to move if the need arises (what my husband does is kind of ... specific, and if he wasn't working for Blizzard I wouldn't <em>choose</em> to live in Irvine, so I like knowing we can pay a lease break fee and GO, and underneath all that, I wasn't savvy enough to use the MLS to find a private rental 2 years ago when I moved to Woodbury Place. :p

[quote author="badcandy" date=1250652422]wow. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. Maybe if they had left out Giotto it wouldn't be AS painful to read it (apartment near the 405 and Jamboree is nice and vague, kinda like that article about the bank robber who shot himself last week).</blockquote>

Through out the history of bank robbery. Unless the robber killed a hostage he rarely turn the gun on himself.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1250651825]Reading this tread I have to wonder once again what is the advantage of paying $2500+ a month to rent a cracker jack box versus buying something (maybe not in Irvine). </blockquote>

Lets see. I pay about $ 1600 for a nice apartment with NO OTHER COSTS other than utilities.

I already own a home in West LA thats paid for. And the thought of having a another huge depreciating asset just does nothing for me. Property Tax, Upkeep. NO THANKS. I am single and already raised my kid. I would much rather spend that income on something I can enjoy. Thinking about getting a Ferrari if business keeps looking up.

Rent 11,000 SqFt. In Orange for my business so plenty of room for storage. Somehow. Somwhere

the great lie that you needed to own a home to be successful was spread. All I know is all my friends that own multiple properties these days wish they did not. These days those RE friends of mine are doing way more drinking and talking about divorce, drugs and going BK.

Sorry I missed the drinking of the Kool Aid.

Here is another <a href="http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:kkc8aeFcRHcJ:www.ocregister.com/articles/mcclain-wife-prosecutors-2175833-police-accused+robert+mcclain+torture+leasing+oc+register&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us ">OC Register article</a>"Forcing cheating wife to castrate her boyfriend's genital incident" in Woodbury Court but as usual the OC Register mentioned an apartment complex on 1,000 block of Payton. There were no mentioning of Woodbury, Irvine Apartment Communities and Woodbury Court.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250650968][quote author="MojoJD" date=1250648770]...

edit: while we're on the subject, anyone else find it funny to see <em>new </em>$55,000+ cars in the parking lot owned by residents? Talk about some bad financial priorities. (6/7 series bmw, escalades, range rover, E550, etc)</blockquote>

If I can't afford to lease a 2.5 million dollar house, what's wrong with something in a smaller scale like paying for a monthly lease on a nice E series?</blockquote>

I'm going to assume you didn't mean to say "<strong>lease a 2.5 million dollar house.</strong>" That's a freebie from me to you. You're welcome.

Your rationale blows my mind. You seriously cannot recognize the <strong>HUGE </strong>product difference between a $1850-2000/month stack-style apartment and a 2.5 million dollar home!? I think you're exaggerating the number disparity here... a bit.

Hate to break it to you, but there are condo <em>and </em>detached products in Woodbury (the same neighborhood we are talking about here) for around $500-600K that offer much more home than you get in even the biggest apartment that IAC Woodbury offers. I would submit to you that the lease (are you kidding me?) on an E550 with mediocre options, after tax, will run you just over $900/mo actual payment... and that's after about $6K down. The ~$44K you pay out over the life of the lease, non tax deductible, would have taken you a LONG way to a down payment on your own home. (which doesn't have to be 2.5 million)

But sure, why not, its fun to be perceived as wealthy by other people. That's important too. /s/ Its that "live for right now and tomorrow will work itself out" mentality - let me know how it works out for you 10 years from now.

Either way, I'd like to see the retirement and emergency savings numbers for these individuals.

More confusing <a href="http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:IKcTZm67F5gJ:www.ocregister.com/articles/irvine-police-hostage-2314652-neighborhood-hare+Woodbridge+police+hostage&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">OC Register Article</a> by metioning Orange County Bomb Squad and Tustin SWAT team. Irvine City is so freakin rich and yet can't afford a bomb squad and a SWAT team and always expecting help from the neighboring poor city of Tustin for help such as the Tustin SWAT to bail them out. I have never heard of any Tustin crime scene where the Irvine Police shows up as back up enforcement.

I begin to wonder whether IPD has the capability to handle massive crisis when all they can do is to calling for back up everytime from neighboring cities. There is certainly no comfort of security for me knowing that I am being protected by Reno 911.

Sorry for the hijack Punch.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1250656394][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250650968][quote author="MojoJD" date=1250648770]...

edit: while we're on the subject, anyone else find it funny to see <em>new </em>$55,000+ cars in the parking lot owned by residents? Talk about some bad financial priorities. (6/7 series bmw, escalades, range rover, E550, etc)</blockquote>

If I can't afford to lease a 2.5 million dollar house, what's wrong with something in a smaller scale like paying for a monthly lease on a nice E series?</blockquote>

I'm going to assume you didn't mean to say "<strong>lease a 2.5 million dollar house.</strong>" That's a freebie from me to you. You're welcome.

Your rationale blows my mind. You seriously cannot recognize the <strong>HUGE </strong>product difference between a $1850-2000/month stack-style apartment and a 2.5 million dollar home!? I think you're exaggerating the number disparity here... a bit.

Hate to break it to you, but there are condo <em>and </em>detached products in Woodbury (the same neighborhood we are talking about here) for around $500-600K that offer much more home than you get in even the biggest apartment that IAC Woodbury offers. I would submit to you that the lease (are you kidding me?) on an E550 with mediocre options, after tax, will run you just over $900/mo actual payment... and that's after about $6K down. The ~$44K you pay out over the life of the lease, non tax deductible, would have taken you a LONG way to a down payment on your own home. (which doesn't have to be 2.5 million)

But sure, why not, its fun to be perceived as wealthy by other people. That's important too. /s/ Its that "live for right now and tomorrow will work itself out" mentality - let me know how it works out for you 10 years from now.

Either way, I'd like to see the retirement and emergency savings numbers for these individuals.</blockquote>

Despite the growing socalism ... the US is still a free country. As long as they spend their own money (and not yours) - they should feel free to spend it however they like.

A prime example of that sort of ridiculous attitude was back when certain people were complaining about the causes the Gates Foundation chose to support - and said it wasn't fair that such a huge sum of money was spent on Gates' choice of charitable causes instead of their own personal pet chartitable pet causes ... even though it was Gates money to begin with.

Also, getting back on topic, I rather like how Quail Meadows prevents parking issues. They just conduct garage inspections at random times, with only a little advance notice. That makes it a lot harder for people to store stuff in their garage most of the year and just move it out before say a yearly inspection they know is coming 4 months beforehand, then move it all back. No parking problems since they started doing that.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1250656394][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250650968][quote author="MojoJD" date=1250648770]...

Either way, I'd like to see the retirement and emergency savings numbers for these individuals.</blockquote>

Lets see. Having a big house and being single and almost retired. NO Way. Would rather have the Benz. At least with it you know what the depreciation schedule is. Or. I could be a knife catcher over in Quail Hill were I rent. And maybe lose 20-30% more and be underwater with a huge debt hanging over my head for many years. Tie up a chunk of savings and live in some place bigger than my needs. But I have the illusion of being wealthy because I am a home owner? Its all bullsh*t propaganda spread by the NAR. Better to pay cash for the Benz and enjoy it. Come to think of it. I have 2 Benz`s already. A house is a place to shower. sh*t, and sleep. Some people think its some king of holy monument you need to own to be spiritually

satisfied. More BS. No wonder Home Depot stock is in the tank. Sorry for the thread jack.

No worries, BK, bltserv :cheese:

Regarding the Irvine/IPD hijack: personally, I don't buy into the "safest city" bit. But I still like where I live. For now, anyway.

As far as people not buying a house when they can "afford" expensive cars...I dunno, to each his own, I guess? Who're we to judge. Some people like to buy houses, some people like to buy cars. Some people like to buy boobs, some people like to buy stocks. If you can afford it, then why not buy it? In the end, you can't take any of it to your grave.

Except, possibly, the boobs.

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1250658793]No worries, BK, bltserv :cheese:

Regarding the Irvine/IPD hijack: personally, I don't buy into the "safest city" bit. But I still like where I live. For now, anyway.

As far as people not buying a house when they can "afford" expensive cars...I dunno, to each his own, I guess? Who're we to judge. Some people like to buy houses, some people like to buy cars. Some people like to buy boobs, some people like to buy stocks. If you can afford it, then why not buy it? In the end, you can't take any of it to your grave.

Except, possibly, the boobs.</blockquote>

The inventor of the Pringles can took it with him

<A href="http://www.newser.com/story/29036/for-inventor-rip-rest-in-pringles-can.html">http://www.newser.com/story/29036/for-inventor-rip-rest-in-pringles-can.html</A>

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1250658234][quote author="MojoJD" date=1250656394][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250650968][quote author="MojoJD" date=1250648770]...

Despite the growing socalism ... the US is still a free country. As long as they spend their own money (and not yours) - they should feel free to spend it however they like.

A prime example of that sort of ridiculous attitude was back when certain people were complaining about the causes the Gates Foundation chose to support - and said it wasn't fair that such a huge sum of money was spent on Gates' choice of charitable causes instead of their own personal pet chartitable pet causes ... even though it was Gates money to begin with.

Also, getting back on topic, I rather like how Quail Meadows prevents parking issues. They just conduct garage inspections at random times, with only a little advance notice. That makes it a lot harder for people to store stuff in their garage most of the year and just move it out before say a yearly inspection they know is coming 4 months beforehand, then move it all back. No parking problems since they started doing that.</blockquote>

It's rather ironic how you take a jab at the perceived loss of freedom in the USA (due to what you call socalism - or is that a word for living in southern California?) yet your preferred solution is an authoritarian search of what a person does within their own garage.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1250659238][quote author="Anonymous" date=1250658234][quote author="MojoJD" date=1250656394][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1250650968][quote author="MojoJD" date=1250648770]...

Also, getting back on topic, I rather like how Quail Meadows prevents parking issues. They just conduct garage inspections at random times, with only a little advance notice. That makes it a lot harder for people to store stuff in their garage most of the year and just move it out before say a yearly inspection they know is coming 4 months beforehand, then move it all back. No parking problems since they started doing that.</blockquote>

It's rather ironic how you take a jab at the perceived loss of freedom in the USA (due to what you call socalism - or is that a word for living in southern California?) yet your preferred solution is an authoritarian search of what a person does within their own garage.</blockquote>

Uh, it's not "their own garage" it's "the IAC's own garage". That's why it's called renting. The tenant decided to rent it after reading the lease agreement that forbids storage in their garage from preventing them from parking a vehicle in there. If they can park the vehicle, they can still store stuff alongside.

It's more that the true owner of the garage (the IAC) can do what they want with the garage and maintain what they want (ie. IAC wants ample parking available for residents & visitors).

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1250658793]As far as people not buying a house when they can "afford" expensive cars...I dunno, to each his own, I guess? Who're we to judge. Some people like to buy houses, some people like to buy cars. Some people like to buy boobs, some people like to buy stocks. If you can afford it, then why not buy it? In the end, you can't take any of it to your grave.

<strong>Post of the day!</strong>

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1250658793]... Who're we to judge. ...</blockquote>

Isn't that all the regulars do here on this forum?

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1250661988][quote author="punchenpie" date=1250658793]... Who're we to judge. ...</blockquote>

Isn't that all the regulars do here on this forum?</blockquote>

regulars and non regulars alike. Where's the fun if you can't judge someone else to make you feel better about yourself?

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1250648770]

Are you talking about the curb sections behind the pool/gym area? if you were to drive around/past the front office and continue toward the back? I'm not sure I know where in the neighborhood the curb parking interferes with the driveways.

</blockquote>

All along the back row each building has curbside parallel parking. Some people parallel park, others pull in nose first at an angle and often let their car hang way out into the driveway. This ends up impeding against the adjacent garages, especially if it is a large vehicle. It will often take several maneuvers to get the car out of our garage. The thing is, they aren't really fitting in more cars this way, the space still accomodates the same amount of cars. I don't know any other places that allow this sort of parking in a parallel spot.

[quote author="punchenpie" date=1250658793]No worries, BK, bltserv :cheese:

Grave robbers have more than just gold to sell on Ebay.

Back