I-Tea Cafe, Irvine (beef noodle)

momopi

I-Tea Cafe
15435 Jeffrey Rd
Ste 110
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 551-4832http://www.yelp.com/biz/i-tea-cafe-irvine

Picture%20004.jpg

The vegetarian restaurant here was replaced by a Taiwanese boba place that also served light meals.  I went to get a quick bite and, to my surprise, they served beef noodle soup.  The soup was a little watered down but acceptable, but the beef was really well done.  I told them that they should offer thick noodle option, and was told that I could ask the chef and see if he has them avail.  Thumbs up!

What's everyone's fav for this dish?  I actually prefer Yu's garden for beef noodle soup.  Mama Liang's is pretty good but too much of an after taste later.  I'll try his place out since I'll probably like the milder tasting soups.  For thick noodles try A&J, but their soup is too salty.

ucla bruin said:
How do you compare this to the beef noodle soup from Mama Liang's Kitchen?

The chef at this place did a better job at selecting the cuts of meat and cooking it.  However the soup base is lighter, so it depends on your preference.  IMO the chef here has skills, they should really push the beef noodle here.

ucla bruin said:
How do you compare this to the beef noodle soup from Mama Liang's Kitchen?

I like Mama Liang's better than A&J but am willing to try somewhere new in Irvine.

There's a place in Rowland Heights, YES plaza, tucked away in the corner. One of the best beef noodle soup ever. Anyone been there?

So within a mile radius we have these restaurants serving beef stew noodle:

Mama Liang's
Yu's Garden
Chef Chen
Chongqing
Hsin Hsin
A&J
I-Tea
Spicy City
Pan of Asia
Asian Tapas

Any I missed?

I remembered Tri-Village's beef noodle soup wasn't too bad. Do people still go there?

I recently tried the beef noodle soup at Guppy House. Probably the most expensive.

Had the beef noodle soup from iTea to go yesterday.  Not bad, not bad at all.  The soup does taste a little watered down but man the beef was good!  It was cooked to perfection, falls apart in your mouth tender.  I get into a mouth-beef tug a war sometimes at other restaurants.  I do have a few quips though

1)  I chomped down on two pieces of star anise!  Please filter that out!  Great herb but too strong if you bite into it.
2)  Noodles should be more al dente when packing to go orders and yes like momo, I prefer the thick, knife cut noodles
3)  Where's my chinese mustard relish?  Is that for dine in only (per momo's pic).  Did not get any in my bag.

Also ordered Taiwanese rice noodles (not bad, street vendor food style) and also the minced pork rice (one of my childhood fav's, iTea version is decent).  I hope they stay open, better option then Nice Time Deli. 

d5e16cac.jpg

Not so plain noodle soup

a0ff135c.jpg

Large popcorn chicken

And the real star at this little Taiwanese cafe is the snowy ice.  My co-eaters devoured it before I could snap a pic.  The ice consistency is different then any other shaved ice, more of a pillowy texture.  They also have the thick garlic soy sauce but it's self service. 

Haven't been to guppy house for awhile,  I would think iTea is better, it has more older Asians eating there

123bea0c.jpg

Mango snowy ice

1174a303.jpg

Close up of the ice texture

Wonder what kind of machine they use to turn ice into this...  $7 a little pricy, but after this you won't want any other normal shaved ice again.

I'm going to suggest they move into Kokos cafe's spot after it closes down.  They need more room.

That picture of the mango snowy ice looked a lot like the mango & sticky rice (with coconut milk) dessert that I had in Thailand.  :-*

Went to get takeout last night... closed on Mondays... bleh... ended up buying Cha Gio (eggrolls) at the Pho place around the corner.

It's okay... I think it would be better to eat there so you can enjoy the shave ice fresh.

Had the spicy beef noodle soup at AJ's off Walnut/Jeffery on Saturday with a buyer....very tastey and hit the spot coming in from the chilly weather.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Had the spicy beef noodle soup at AJ's off Walnut/Jeffery on Saturday with a buyer....very tastey and hit the spot coming in from the chilly weather.

Were you adventurous enough to try the steamed sticky rice chitterlings?

Back