I just successfully got our house designated on the Historic Register!

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1254482296]Several times I've come close to getting a house declared as an historical landmark. The biggest issue was you SHALL NOT update it to anything that is not within its history. Its no secret I LOVE arts and crafts homes. But wow, purchase a 600k home and spend another 1M to 1.5M to bring it back upto snuff.

I'm not that dedicated....</blockquote>

This has been the same experience of many people I know. One purchased an old hosiptal, with plans to make it a split level triplex. EXCEPT.....it was on the list and he couldn't do anything with it. He wound up letting it go back to the bank in 1995 becuase he couldn't so much as put a fence up around it because it wasn't correct, and nobody else wanted to buy it.

Congratulations BK & Grace! That's awesome because I had heard that the City of Santa Ana was trying to cut back on their Mills Act grants because the City loses the money and they really need (want?) it right now.

<a href="http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=21412">Mills Act info.</a>

The <a href="http://www.nps.gov/nr/faq.htm">National Register of Historic Places program</a> is slightly different from the Mills Act, although they have the same goal and some the qualifications overlap.

Do they inspect the property to make sure you don't gut the inside and redo everything? What if there is an "accidental" fire that destroy parts or all of the house under the Mills Act?

Yeah, I'm also interested to know your rights with respect to remodeling. To be sure, some renovations are absolutely necessary (if not required) to maintain reasonable living or sanitary conditions, but are you required to keep the same style on the interior? How much freedom do you have inside? Can you install double-pane windows? solar panels?

Also, to any realtor: do you find that some of your buyers are turned off by "historic" homes due to the constraints on renovations? How does it balance out with the property tax savings with respect to their level of interest?

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254511536][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1254473450]I don't think the city of Fullerton particpates in the Mills Act. I'm not sure why.</blockquote>

They do. They have to its a national program.</blockquote>
I thought it was up to the local cities how and if they want to implement it. I spoke to a few owners who said the city is not offering it. I guess i'll have to call the city to see what's up.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1254535535]Yeah, I'm also interested to know your rights with respect to remodeling. To be sure, some renovations are absolutely necessary (if not required) to maintain reasonable living or sanitary conditions, but are you required to keep the same style on the interior? How much freedom do you have inside? Can you install double-pane windows? solar panels?

<strong>Also, to any realtor: do you find that some of your buyers are turned off by "historic" homes due to the constraints on renovations? How does it balance out with the property tax savings with respect to their level of interest?</strong></blockquote>
Most of my buyers are looking for a newer and/or updated property. It really comes down to a personal choice. I doubt that those buyers would be interested in these old historical homes even if the effective property tax rate was 0.50%. In terms from a re-sale perspective, if you lower the effective property tax rate for a future buyer that will translate to a higher sales price when it comes time to sell.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1254536563][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254511536][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1254473450]I don't think the city of Fullerton particpates in the Mills Act. I'm not sure why.</blockquote>

They do. They have to its a national program.</blockquote>
I thought it was up to the local cities how and if they want to implement it. I spoke to a few owners who said the city is not offering it. I guess i'll have to call the city to see what's up.</blockquote>
Give them hell...tell them it's a Federal thing and if they don't get with the program you'll bring the hammer down on them.

The mission of the Mills Act is to preserve the exterior aesthetic integrity of a structure that conform relatively accurate to the architectural style. Not all old homes qualify for the Historical landmark designation and Mills Act. The determination is based on period architectural and/or cultural merit.

All historic homes require preservation. The idea is to reduce the tax burden of the homeowners and set aside a portion of the tax money for exterior home repair. Historic homes require painting every 18 months due to exterior wood windows and doors. The idea of pocketing the money will only defer inevitable repairs. The financial benefit is to maintain and preserve with cost efficiency thus saving money.

Premium is very high for a historic home because insurance company considered an old structure a high risk and liability due to electrical fire, structural failure, internal plumbing flood and leaks.

All future exterior remodels and expansion must be submitted for design review to make sure the exterior aesthetic integrity is not altered. I can pretty much guess few Mills Act applicants are Asians and Persians. Interior remodels and replacement of finishes do not need to comply to the historical standards.

Some homes does not need to have a pure architectural style as long it is culturally significant because it was home to an influential person.

Yes, a 3 car frontal garage house could be a historical landmark someday. The story may read like this : "IHO the inventor of internet started this concept in his 3 car wide garage. His invention changed how the world lives today".

The blandness stucco ticky tacky boxes of OC is world renown and it is a part of an important iconic cultural architecture of the late 20th century. It too someday will have a historic designation.

<a href="http://www.eichlernetwork.com/Quest.html">Some Eichler homes have qualified as National Historic Places.</a>

I really like having the designation for unique properties, and particularly for whole neighborhoods because even changing a few homes within a neighborhood can change the character of the neighborhood. Take, for example, <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Orange/3801-E-Fairhaven-Ave-92869/home/3421877">this poor, poor Eichler that got mangled</a>. :sick:

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1254544571]Take, for example, <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Orange/3801-E-Fairhaven-Ave-92869/home/3421877">this poor, poor Eichler that got mangled</a>. :sick:</blockquote>

I don't why I thanked you for this, because I just lost my lunch. I would put the person who did this into the top 5 of my "If I ever see them, I will kick them in the nuts list", but who knows who committed this crime of hideousness. I just want to crash my car into those gawd awful pillars in hoping it would take down the second story atrocity with it.

However, this listing description is entertaining, if you are trying to help a 3rd grader spell correctly...

<em>

Wow this is a customized Eichler! The downstairs is a typical Eichler with the enclosed Atrium, floor to ceiling windows all around. Very open and Airy. Enormous Living room, dining room and kitchen. Granite countertops with more cabinates then the White House! Upstairs there is a seperate living quarters with 2 rooms, kitchenet, full bath and a wonderful balcony. Large circular drive with enough space for a lease 4 cars and a wonderful Extra-wide garage with an adden on 1/2 bath and great storage area! Large 9000 lot with very lushous landscaping including Palm trees, Lemon, lime, avacado, and apple trees.</em>

Wait... I just insulted 3rd grade ESL students by that comment...

[quote author="graphrix" date=1254488908][quote author="biscuitninja" date=1254482296]Several times I've come close to getting a house declared as an historical landmark. The biggest issue was you SHALL NOT update it to anything that is not within its history. Its no secret I LOVE arts and crafts homes. But wow, purchase a 600k home and spend another 1M to 1.5M to bring it back upto snuff.

I'm not that dedicated....</blockquote>

Buying a tear down and building a 6000 sqft. McMansion doesn't cost that much. I know my cost of vintage home repairs... and no way in hell it costs $1000 to $1500 a sqft. to do it. Did you mean to type K instead of M?</blockquote>

I was looking at places in Pasadena. Most of the places I looked at had to be completely torn down and rebuilt (keeping 1 to 2 walls). Even then, the slab usually might need repairing or even the foundation pylons.

They usually required slat walls with plaster, redoing ALL the wiring anyways (Cotton insulation), copper everything (shinges, or maybe true slate shinges). Real wood beams (not preengineered lumber). All the fixtures and everything ALWAYS verged on 1M to bring it back. This was a while back, so things might have come down alot. What killed my budget was alot of the artisanal work and HUGE amounts of their time. Your post gives me hope though.

If I were to redesign the house with a Arts and Crafts LOOK, it would be tremendously cheaper. As mentioned prengineering lumber, modern walls with plasticized finish, modern roof with synthetic shingles or mass produced copper shingles. OHHH MAN the possibilities! :)

I'd probably go for a smallish bungalow, maybe a Sears type house on a moderate plot. We will see.

Back