I got a speeding ticket this morning...

:red: I am so ashamed...

Comedy traffic school, here I come!

(Is there even such a thing here? Last time I got a ticket was in Texas like 10 years ago).

sorry to hear that ISM. Just bad luck. If you got the ticket in OC, comedy traffic schools and online traffic schools are not available.

In case you don't know, if your speeding ticket is speeding in 65 miles zones (highway), then you have basically no way to beat the ticket other than the slim hope of the cop doesn't show up for your court appt. However, if your speed was under 65, it is a lot easier to beat the ticket in court as the cop has to prove your speed is not safe under the condition at the time.

I was on the 101 somewhere near Calabasas. The cop told me that I would be getting a notice from the Malibu court system in a few weeks and that I could get out of it by taking an online or classroom traffic school if I hadn't already done so in the past 18 months.

I was going 85. On that stretch of the 101, with no traffic, it honestly felt very safe to me. But I should have known better - New Year's Day morning is not a good time to do anything illegal on the roads.

Trooper - got any suggestions for traffic schools?

Ha, I got a speeding ticket on 08/08/08. I'm Chinese so lucky day for me, lol.

80 in a 65. Cost was around $320 for the ticket and traffic school. Did 2 four hour traffic school days at the Newport Court. There were hundreds of people there. Get there early to avoid the long lines.

Hi ISM, I got a speeding ticket in LA about 3 years ago and I did online traffic school. Pretty painless. I still have the DVD if you want to do the same course as I did, but my only suggestion is remember what you answered to the first bunch of demographic questions ("How many rooms does your house have?") because you'll have to re-answer those later to verify that you're the one taking it.

Okay everyone, thanks for the advice. You're all probably going to think I'm nuts, but I am really interested in attending a comedy school option, if there is one. When I attended the Saturday class in Texas in the 90s, I remember going home with a sore gut from laughing so hard for 8 straight hours. I clearly recall thinking that this was a truly fun experience (crazy! I know!). The instructor went to great lengths to ensure that we were fully legal and by the book - he had a stopwatch to ensure we did the required time, he had forms and checklists to ensure we covered all the material, and all that. So it was totally on the up and up, but just the darn funniest way to approach it.

Plus, I rarely get a chance to meet people outside of my usual day-to-day routines of work and motherhood, and you never know what nice, single guys might be in the same class! :cheese:

Just FYI, you really don't need to go to traffic school if it is your first ticket in 10 years. Within the last five years or so, insurance companies don't ding you until you have 2 tickets on your record. There is absolutely no consequence until the second point. I really didn't believe my friend when he told me this, but he and his wife both had tickets and he asked and was told this by his insurance company. I don't think they even get the report until there are two violations. My friend told me this about two years ago and lo, and behold, within the next year, both my husband and I received a ticket each. We have since renewed our insurance twice and the cost has gone down with no record of the tickets. Check it out yourself, but you can do as I am: I will wait to see if I get a second ticket, then I'll go to traffic school.

I followed the information on <a href="http://www.helpigotaticket.com/">Geo Mccalip's site</a> and beat a speeding ticket that I got on the 73 a few years ago. It was dismissed after a trial by declaration. It wasn't clear whether my argument won the judge over, or the officer just didn't respond.

What was the exact citation for? If it was CVC 22350, <a href="http://www.helpigotaticket.com/speed/basic.html">read this</a>.

<span style="color: blue;"></span>[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1230944265]Okay everyone, thanks for the advice. You're all probably going to think I'm nuts, but I am really interested in attending a comedy school option, if there is one. When I attended the Saturday class in Texas in the 90s, I remember going home with a sore gut from laughing so hard for 8 straight hours. I clearly recall thinking that this was a truly fun experience (crazy! I know!). The instructor went to great lengths to ensure that we were fully legal and by the book - he had a stopwatch to ensure we did the required time, he had forms and checklists to ensure we covered all the material, and all that. So it was totally on the up and up, but just the darn funniest way to approach it.

Plus, I rarely get a chance to meet people outside of my usual day-to-day routines of work and motherhood, and you never know what nice, single guys might be in the same class! :cheese:</blockquote>

My son met one of his GF`s at Traffic School. In fact the one I liked the best.

You never know.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1230947890]<span style="color: blue;"></span>[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1230944265]Okay everyone, thanks for the advice. You're all probably going to think I'm nuts, but I am really interested in attending a comedy school option, if there is one. When I attended the Saturday class in Texas in the 90s, I remember going home with a sore gut from laughing so hard for 8 straight hours. I clearly recall thinking that this was a truly fun experience (crazy! I know!). The instructor went to great lengths to ensure that we were fully legal and by the book - he had a stopwatch to ensure we did the required time, he had forms and checklists to ensure we covered all the material, and all that. So it was totally on the up and up, but just the darn funniest way to approach it.

Plus, I rarely get a chance to meet people outside of my usual day-to-day routines of work and motherhood, and you never know what nice, single guys might be in the same class! :cheese:</blockquote>

You never know.</blockquote>

So THAT's the place to meet single ladies thesedays. And all this time I was wasting going to bars.

The valuable information you learn on IHB, its priceless.

Now time to go out and get me a speeding ticket!!

[quote author="Shooby" date=1230949260][quote author="bltserv" date=1230947890]<span style="color: blue;"></span>[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1230944265]Okay everyone, thanks for the advice. You're all probably going to think I'm nuts, but I am really interested in attending a comedy school option, if there is one. When I attended the Saturday class in Texas in the 90s, I remember going home with a sore gut from laughing so hard for 8 straight hours. I clearly recall thinking that this was a truly fun experience (crazy! I know!). The instructor went to great lengths to ensure that we were fully legal and by the book - he had a stopwatch to ensure we did the required time, he had forms and checklists to ensure we covered all the material, and all that. So it was totally on the up and up, but just the darn funniest way to approach it.

You never know.</blockquote>

So THAT's the place to meet single ladies thesedays. And all this time I was wasting going to bars.

The valuable information you learn on IHB, its priceless.

Now time to go out and get me a speeding ticket!!</blockquote>

Can't you sign up for traffic school without having received a ticket?

[quote author="Irvine Soul Brother" date=1230920450]Hi ISM, I got a speeding ticket in LA about 3 years ago and I did online traffic school. Pretty painless. I still have the DVD if you want to do the same course as I did, but my only suggestion is remember what you answered to the first bunch of demographic questions ("How many rooms does your house have?") because you'll have to re-answer those later to verify that you're the one taking it.</blockquote>

My husband did online traffic school but to confirm it was him, they sent him a little webcam to compare his face to his license photo at the start of the test (and you get to keep the camera.) He did <a href="http://www.toolazyfortrafficschool.com/howitworks.asp">Too Lazy For Traffic School . Com</a> because he couldn't resist the name. Good luck, ISM.

^ I thought the trick was to spot the guy you want, then rear-end him in your car. It forces communication. No? (Warning: this tactic does not apply to an officer.)

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1230955561][quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1230944265]

I think you figure it out already, but another way to meet nice, single guys with good physique and manners is to speed on the highway. Most CHP offers are courteous, and pretty good looking, esp. the ones in the motorcycles. So was the one who give you the ticket fits the bill?

;)</blockquote>

He was quite nice looking, actually, but barely said two words to me. I think it was that it was New Year's Day morning - probably kind of a stressful time in a cop's year?

if i remember correctly, you should do it on the first one, since it wipes your record. if you get a second one within 3 years, that one *does* go on your record. so if you skip it the first time and get another, you are screwed. of course, if you don't get a second one within 3 years, it does not matter.

but comedy school does sound like fun!

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1230959472]if i remember correctly, you should do it on the first one, since it wipes your record. if you get a second one within 3 years, that one *does* go on your record. so if you skip it the first time and get another, you are screwed. of course, if you don't get a second one within 3 years, it does not matter.

but comedy school does sound like fun!</blockquote>

I believe you can still go to traffic school on the second one, you just can't go twice in three years.

[quote author="tmare" date=1230959598][quote author="freedomCM" date=1230959472]if i remember correctly, you should do it on the first one, since it wipes your record. if you get a second one within 3 years, that one *does* go on your record. so if you skip it the first time and get another, you are screwed. of course, if you don't get a second one within 3 years, it does not matter.

but comedy school does sound like fun!</blockquote>

I believe you can still go to traffic school on the second one, you just can't go twice in three years.</blockquote>

You're still screwed if you get another ticket within 18 months of the first violation. To me, going to traffic school is worth cleaning your record just in case you get unlucky and caught again soon after.

Back