Humidifier Recommendations, please.

AllisonC_IHB

I am buying my great aunt a humidifier for Christmas.

I am looking for something reliable and preferably one that you or someone you know have tried and works. She has tried the ones at Target and CVS, they don't work well. (Sunbeam or Conair).

The price is not an issue, I want it really to work (her room is about 500 sf) so she can feel better.

Thank you all in advance.

That's a pretty good size space. Most of the ones found at Target and CVS are for bedrooms (aka ~150 sq ft).

You might try Sears. I just found <a href="http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03215412000P">this one</a> that works for a room up to 2,500 sq ft.

A couple years ago, I got a very nice Honeywell unit at Costco. It's heavy duty and covers a large room, with digital readouts to control the level of humidity. It also has a wireless remote so you can control it from bed without getting up. I don't know if Costco is still carrying it, but you may want to check them out. If not, look for a Honeywell unit elsewhere. Stay away from the cheapo Sunbeam or Conair brands.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1226223020]That's a pretty good size space. Most of the ones found at Target and CVS are for bedrooms (aka ~150 sq ft).

You might try Sears. I just found <a href="http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03215412000P">this one</a> that works for a room up to 2,500 sq ft.</blockquote>

I never thought about Sears, thanks! I checked it out online, looks like they have more than a few dozen models to choose from. This will be one of the places to stop by this afternoon for me. :) Thanks!

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1226272803]A couple years ago, I got a very nice Honeywell unit at Costco. It's heavy duty and covers a large room, with digital readouts to control the level of humidity. It also has a wireless remote so you can control it from bed without getting up. I don't know if Costco is still carrying it, but you may want to check them out. If not, look for a Honeywell unit elsewhere. Stay away from the cheapo Sunbeam or Conair brands.</blockquote>

I saw one at Costco online too, the remote control would be a bonus feature for my great aunt. I'll go check it out this afternoon along with Sears, Bed Bath, and Lowe's. Thanks! :)

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1226281500]1, how old is your great aunt? (that is, is she healthy/strong?)

2, where does she live?

There are three main type of humidifiers. You need to judge the pros and cons.

1, water wick type.

2, ultrasonic type

3, mist injection type.

The water wick type is good if she live in a place where the hardness of the water is low. In california where the amount of mineral in the water is over 450 ppm, she will end up with a cemented wick within a few week, making the humidifier not very useable. This applies to even "permanent" wick that suppose to be washable.

The ultra sonic type in hard water will generate lots of white dust, covering everything in the room. It may also irrate her lungs, but usually this is not the case. The area around the ultrasonic transducer can also develop scales, and she will need to use citric acid or vinegar to clean it periodically.

The mist injection connect to her HVAC system, and the hard water will have the same effect (white dust).

Some of these humifier have a water softener component that alleviate the issue with hard water, but they cost money to replace, and not very efficient due to the half-@ss attempt at it by non-water-filtration people.

Another aspect that you need to consider is her strength. If she need to pull out a 2 gal reservior to fill it with water, that is more than 16 lb. For elderly people, that is a lot of water. But if you get one that has a smaller reservior, she will need to do that more frequently. The injector type hooks up to the household water system, but it is expensive to install, and she probably won't be able to do some of the required service on it periodically.

Just make sure you thought this thru, and don't give her something that would be more of a hassle than help. It is very nice of you to consider this for your great aunt, and I just want you to give it a bit more info.</blockquote>

Wow, can I take you with me to go humidifier shopping this afternoon? :lol:

The white powder will be a major issue since she has asthma. She has mentioned she didn't like the mist type. Oh man, I didn't know there are so many things to consider. I better start now.

Thank you for taking the time to type this, I am printing it out, too much info. to remember for a Sunday morning. ;-)

Mutliple thanks!!

The best place to look for advice on humidifiers is parents of children with cystic fibrosis. They are hyper vigilant about finding stuff that works that is helpful for lungs. There are a lot of nit picky issues with humidifiers (fungus growth, bacteria, etc etc). I think the standard choice right now is still the slat fin, because it has an ultraviolet light in it to kill bacteria. Buy it online. I have it, and it's great and costs the same as the others.

Regardless, you need to clean them frequently for them to operate properly.

I don't know what type I purchased, but I did put the weight issue and the white powder issue into consideration. I ended up buying a Kenmore at Sears, a little over $100. The salesman was surprisingly knowledgeable, was that you, AO? :cheese:

Thanks for everyone's input!

Back