How To Respond In An Uncomfortable Situation

I've always bought my meats at Costco, but now I'm curious to try a meat market after that ribeye photo. Has anybody tried Electric City Butcher? They got 5 stars on Yelp whereas El Toro Gourmet has 4 stars.

I'll see Todd again in a couple days. Not sure what I'll say if he asks how the steak was. I'm hesitant to admit it was the best I'd ever had. Wouldn't want him to gain anymore confidence. He was creeping me out last time. Maybe I'll just say, "Eh. It was ok, I guess."

In related news, my 43-y.o. coworker - a single mom w/ 2 kids - said a 21 y.o. hit on her. I do not get it at all. She's actually very pretty, but still, how bizarre. That's even more extreme than the situation w/ Todd, my 10-13 year younger ankle-biter. Maybe they're looking for mommies to help put them through school & take care of them because they're insecure. That's what I think it is. I've done enough field research watching "True Life: I'm Dating A Cougar" on MTV to become somewhat of an expert on this phenomenon. :p

O_O Just had a long talk with my meat-packer tonight. He approached me to make chit chat. Long story short: He's 26. He told me I'm a "good mom" and apparently he has thing for "good moms". He's dated women my age before.  ???

Men are confusing. When I had kids, I already accepted the fact that my universal appeal to men probably plummeted. I was perfectly okay with that. Life isn't about me anymore. I would sacrifice every part of myself for my kids. But to be told the mom thing is actually one of the top things he notices, kind of blows my mind. Very unexpected. If I were a young single guy, I would not be looking for moms. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm starting to connect the dots, though. This probably explains why he looks like he's going to wet himself whenever I'm hugging someone or taking care of them in his presence.

In other news: Mr. SoCal gleefully told me he read an article recently with studies showing that pudgy older fathers are the most attractive to women. He's the last person on earth to learn about the reign of the "Dad Bod". (I wasn't going to tell him!) I myself concur with this finding. I guess women can be just as full of surprises as anyone.

Please post link.  I can't wait to tell my wife that thanks to me doing free weights and cardio 3x a week, other women will find me less attractive lol. 

Did you tell Mr. Socal about your unsecret admirer?  Does your meat-packer still have a beard?  Where did he approach you? 

daedalus said:
Did you tell Mr. Socal about your unsecret admirer?  Does your meat-packer still have a beard?  Where did he approach you? 

Yeah, he's known since this started in December. He was sitting near me on the couch, asleep, when I got that late-night phone call and text from the meat packer. I accidentally woke him up with "Oh, my God." He was like, "What, what...?" He was startled and thought something bad had happened. I told him.

Qwerbod is not better than IHobod. I'm the heaviest I've ever been. Need to lay of the Ike's sandwiches :)

And the only reason women find any appeal in dad bod is because most women are insecure and/or out of shape and feel less threatened by the dad bod type.

qwerty said:
And the only reason women find any appeal in dad bod is because most women are insecure and/or out of shape and feel less threatened by the dad bod type.

While some of it's true, I think that's an unfairly negative characterization. Here's why:

The articles point out how dad bods are seen as being more of a family man, nurturing, etc. As one says, you know you're not going to be stood-up while he's at the gym. You will be a priority. Your kids will be a priority. For a lot of women, that is an attractive quality. The N.Y. Post even reported "fat dads live longer". Maybe somewhere deep-down, women intuitively know this.

There are other articles that say when looking for a fling, women go for the hard body. But when looking for a long-term relationship, they go for the dad bod. Like you said, it has to do with feeling less threatened. But not just by infidelity. Heavier dads are less likely to engage in risky, life-threatening behavior. (See top link). When you're taking on responsibilities with a partner for life, that's important. It makes sense that they would want a safe bet. A guy who pours a lot of resources into himself, gambles with his safety, or is at higher risk for heart attacks is not every woman's preference, at least not for more than the 1 Night Stand.

Just like the old saying that women dress to impress other women, men are often chasing an ideal that's created by other men. Both genders are guilty of being needlessly harsh with themselves, not realizing they are already satisfactory to whom it counts.

This topic is not meant to elicit ire from the hard bodies of T.I. as it has in the past. If that's your passion, great! Nobody is saying that's wrong to pursue especially if you aren't even looking for a relationship. It's also not meant to endorse morbid obesity. Just be aware that what you want and what your SigOth / future SigOth want could be two different things. And don't beat yourself up for not feeling good enough. That's it.

SoCal said:
O_O Just had a long talk with my meat-packer tonight. He approached me to make chit chat. Long story short: He's 26. He told me I'm a "good mom" and apparently he has thing for "good moms". He's dated women my age before.  ???

Men are confusing. When I had kids, I already accepted the fact that my universal appeal to men probably plummeted. I was perfectly okay with that. Life isn't about me anymore. I would sacrifice every part of myself for my kids. But to be told the mom thing is actually one of the top things he notices, kind of blows my mind. Very unexpected. If I were a young single guy, I would not be looking for moms. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm starting to connect the dots, though. This probably explains why he looks like he's going to wet himself whenever I'm hugging someone or taking care of them in his presence.

In other news: Mr. SoCal gleefully told me he read an article recently with studies showing that pudgy older fathers are the most attractive to women. He's the last person on earth to learn about the reign of the "Dad Bod". (I wasn't going to tell him!) I myself concur with this finding. I guess women can be just as full of surprises as anyone.

Sounds like he has a mom fetish! When I'm having a low self esteem day, I want to bring my kids to his store and act super loving and attentive to them, to titillate him and also get a great deal on premium meat.  :)

Men of T.I.: I never thought I would be posting this 2 months after I began this thread by sharing a relatively innocent text. I thought I gave a good response showing no encouragement.

I still don't know how to take a "screen shot" of a text on Android like I've seen other people do. Here is what happened, typed out:

I went to the store very briefly yesterday to grab just a couple items between church & work. Because I was going to be out all day long, I decided to switch things up that morning & change my look. All day, people had been telling me I look nice. I never go to the store on this day so I did not think Todd worked Sundays. I went down his aisle to get something and there he was. He was full-on staring at me from across the store. I kept walking towards him, really really staring now. He put his work down to stare. The hard staring was making me uncomfortable but I decided to be nice. I figured he was probably just staring because I look a little bit different as others had noted. Maybe he didn't know who I was -- I don't know! I just smiled and waved and said, "Hi", and kept walking. Purposely tried not to stop so he couldn't talk to me.

It's worth noting that in our last conversation at the store, **I SPECIFICALLY ENCOURAGED HIM TO GO FIND OTHER WOMEN*** who fit the description he gave me of what he liked. I even suggested the name of one of his coworkers I know who fits that description to a tee!  ??? Is that NOT a big enough clue that I'm not interested in him?  :eek:

F.F. to 11:50 p.m. last night. 2 texts from Todd. O_O

"Hey [SoCal]...you looked really pretty tonight"

"Can we have a drink sometime"

Now I might have to stop shopping here. :mad: I was supposed to go back today. I've been shopping here longer than he's been working there. I feel like I shouldn't have to be the one to have to leave.

Btw, what exactly does it mean when a guy says, "Can we have a drink sometime"...??

Is this code-word for something? What is the meaning of this?

It does not sound like the most respectable way of asking someone out on a date, imo. It sounds like a way of saying, "You're only good for one thing..."

I have never had a guy say this to me before. Asked me for lunch, yes. Activities (movie, concert, a day trip, golf), yes. Drinks? Never. Sounds sleazy.

Back