How to know where value lies today

USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:
Keep in mind the agents are responding. Just keep in mind. They won?t bring up the economy, they won?t talk about the rent freeze.

I just go by what I hear from my clients and what I see with my own eyes. Unlike other realtors, I'm actually putting my money where my mouth is, literally speaking, when I tell my buyers that if you plan on living in a home for 5+ years it's fine to buy.

But agents do not like haggle. I don?t know if it s like the blue line honor code.

You think I am picky. I have friends that expect the agent to preview the house and give notes and pictures before showings.

eyephone said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:
Keep in mind the agents are responding. Just keep in mind. They won%u2019t bring up the economy, they won%u2019t talk about the rent freeze.

I just go by what I hear from my clients and what I see with my own eyes. Unlike other realtors, I'm actually putting my money where my mouth is, literally speaking, when I tell my buyers that if you plan on living in a home for 5+ years it's fine to buy.

But agents do not like haggle. I don%u2019t know if it s like the blue line honor code.

Maybe this market you can%u2019t make deals. But when the market was not hot. Some do not want to make deals.

I feel like with the attitude that they give or non response. That they lose money when they make an offer for a customer. (We do not care how agents will look at you, the customer should be the concern.)
Even though it is a basic template that they use. Lol

nosuchreality said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
nosuchreality said:
Code:
[pre]
[/pre]Sometimes you need to play the sellers game.

Other times, you need to pressure the seller to play yours. 

My read, you already came in over their ask, you got no guidance. I'd stand pat and see if the other buyers, if they exist, make the call.

If you really love the home and have failed multiple other offers, evaluate your prior $30K over offer on the psychological dollar scale.  Did it crest or just fall short of a mental barrier? I.e $1.5m, 1.75m, $2m.  And the slightly lesser $1.6m etc. Jimho.

If you're bidding over ask and its not an obvious bidding war bait listing, always time bind your offer to short them waiting out best and finals.  Make them present and answer before they circle back for the bidding war or wait for a boatload of people to track through all weekend.

I've tried this strategy and it doesn't work in this market when there are multiple offers (i.e. putting in an offer over list with a 24-hour expiration).  The agents just responded with a best and final seller multiple counter offer 2-4 days after I submitted the offer.

No harm then is there, they still countered later.

With the sellers market, they can afford to wait.

Some sellers are not countering - they are just accepting the best offer in the stack. About 1/3rd of the homes I've offered on did that, with no warning ahead of time.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
nosuchreality said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
nosuchreality said:
Code:
[pre]
[/pre]Sometimes you need to play the sellers game.

Other times, you need to pressure the seller to play yours. 

My read, you already came in over their ask, you got no guidance. I'd stand pat and see if the other buyers, if they exist, make the call.

If you really love the home and have failed multiple other offers, evaluate your prior $30K over offer on the psychological dollar scale.  Did it crest or just fall short of a mental barrier? I.e $1.5m, 1.75m, $2m.  And the slightly lesser $1.6m etc. Jimho.

If you're bidding over ask and its not an obvious bidding war bait listing, always time bind your offer to short them waiting out best and finals.  Make them present and answer before they circle back for the bidding war or wait for a boatload of people to track through all weekend.

I've tried this strategy and it doesn't work in this market when there are multiple offers (i.e. putting in an offer over list with a 24-hour expiration).  The agents just responded with a best and final seller multiple counter offer 2-4 days after I submitted the offer.

No harm then is there, they still countered later.

With the sellers market, they can afford to wait.

Some sellers are not countering - they are just accepting the best offer in the stack. About 1/3rd of the homes I've offered on did that, with no warning ahead of time.

I'm seeing the same thing...about 1/4 of the time the seller just takes the highest offer off the bat, other 1/4 of the time they only counter the top buyers with best and final counters, and about 1/2 of the time best and final counters are sent to all buyers (this is what I do because you never know if the buyer low balled off the bat and is willing to pay significantly more for the home).

And this is why I tell my buyers to go in strong with their initial offer.

My favorite was when my place was sold in excite with a back up offer. The agent had the property open to show. Even though I complained multiple times to take away the lockbox and for sale sign. Because for some reason the lights were always left on. (We did not live there when we sold it.) Some people said they used my place to build relationships with other agents aka reach out. Blah blah

For the future: I guess I will have to put it in the buyer and agent contract.

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:
Keep in mind the agents are responding. Just keep in mind. They won%u2019t bring up the economy, they won%u2019t talk about the rent freeze.

But agents do not like haggle. I don%u2019t know if it s like the blue line honor code.

Maybe this market you can%u2019t make deals. But when the market was not hot. Some do not want to make deals.

I feel like with the attitude that they give or non response. That they lose money when they make an offer for a customer. (We do not care how agents will look at you, the customer should be the concern.)
Even though it is a basic template that they use. Lol

That's because most agents are passive and/or lazy.  I love negotiating whenever I can.  Heck, I helped a buyer purchase a new Lennar home at Serrano Summit recently, and even though the sales person said Lennar doesn't provide any discounts, I was able to get my buyer about $8,000 off (between price reduction and 1-year paid HOA).  You never get what you don't ask for.

eyephone said:
You think I am picky. I have friends that expect the agent to preview the house and give notes and pictures before showings.

Sry you had bad agent experience before but any good agent I know lives to haggle that price down and the pride of getting a good deal for their buyer. A happy buyer means future and referral business.

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
eyephone said:

Sry you had bad agent experience before but any good agent I know lives to haggle that price down and the pride of getting a good deal for their buyer. A happy buyer means future and referral business.

+1  Couldn't have said it better myself.  The better my clients do, the better I do.

I walked through this one. Did not make offer.
It's a nice space and shows well. Can't complain about the area and no MR, low HOA are definitely plusses too. The fact that inventory is low for detached 3 bedrooms in 92620 (ahem Northwood HS ahem) is pushing pricing up. I can definitely see that there are multiple interested parties.

irvinenative1995 said:
Hi all - thank you for the feedback. These comments have been super helpful (though we are still unsure of how to respond to the counter and the deadline is in just a couple hours). For reference, the home I was referring to is this home:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/31-Potomac-92620/home/4782986

Would love to hear all your thoughts on the property.

This home will close somewhere in the mid to high $800s. Anything $900k is too much in my opinion. Bid whatever you are comfortable with would be my best advice.  If you get it great, if not then on to the next home. Don?t bid against yourself.  What is your agent advising you to offer?

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinenative1995 said:
Hi all - thank you for the feedback. These comments have been super helpful (though we are still unsure of how to respond to the counter and the deadline is in just a couple hours). For reference, the home I was referring to is this home:

This home will close somewhere in the mid to high $800s. Anything $900k is too much in my opinion. Bid whatever you are comfortable with would be my best advice.  If you get it great, if not then on to the next home. Don?t bid against yourself.  What is your agent advising you to offer?

1273 sq ft but with a 4 car garage?

Oh never mind, it's a share driveway with the next door neighbor.  Is it attached?

WTTCHMN said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinenative1995 said:

1273 sq ft but with a 4 car garage?

If that was the case, I would have bid $900k for it.  haha  No, it's a shared driveway with the other detached home to the right.

3/3 Detached without a lot of dead space.  Third bedroom looks pretty tight which is common but easily lasts a kid until middle school.  Overall though looks good, nothing screaming out needing update or fix. 

Tough price point, lots of Irvine homes at this price point have notable blemishes that this doesn't.  No shared walls.  Now HOA, no MR, kitchen, baths or floors in pretty clear need of update, or cheaply done update already in.  It is however, the price point everybody and their uncles seems to be swinging their bats at.

Is that turquoise door HOA legit?

It is a detached property. Good sized yard for this price point in Irvine as well.. We ended up writing a counter that is something along the lines of "Buyer to offer $2,500 over highest offer, not to exceed x" and we brought our x up approx. 10K.. Not sure we will get it.. But again, it's a 3 bed detached in Irvine. It won't end up being a bad investment... Eventually.

nosuchreality said:
3/3 Detached without a lot of dead space.  Third bedroom looks pretty tight which is common but easily lasts a kid until middle school.  Overall though looks good, nothing screaming out needing update or fix. 

Tough price point, lots of Irvine homes at this price point have notable blemishes that this doesn't.  No shared walls.  Now HOA, no MR, kitchen, baths or floors in pretty clear need of update, or cheaply done update already in.  It is however, the price point everybody and their uncles seems to be swinging their bats at.

Not sure if it is HOA legit.. good question. No noticeable upgrades needed and we certainly would never waive inspection. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Is that turquoise door HOA legit?

Back