How to benefit from covered calls.

jbenko_IHB

You wouldn't dare go without home insurance would you? How about car insurance? Health?

So the question I have for you is why wouln't you insure your equities? Especially if you have a significant position.

Many don't wish to learn about the stock market because of fear that it's too complex. I'll be first to tell you that it's not. It's complex to successfuly day trade, but it's not complex to learn strategies that will let you sleep at night better than when you were itty bitty in the arms of your mother.

Let's use Cisco Systems as an example. (CSCO)

You just bought 1,000 shares @ today's close of $ 17.16 for $ 17,160 dollars.

The way you will insure your investment is through option contracts. You can do this by either buying long term puts or writing calls. There are numerous ways to play this, however if you are not the one to watch this on a daily basis lets focus on writing option contracts expiring January 15, 2009. This gives you a little over a year till expiration.

Below is a list of call option contracts expiring January 15, 2009.

Strike Symbol Price

10.00 WCYAB.X 8.75

12.50 WCYAV.X 7.00

15.00 WCYAC.X 5.45

17.50 WCYAW.X 4.15

20.00 WCYAD.X 3.05

25.00 WCYAE.X 1.51

27.50 WCYAY.X 1.11

What is an option contract? If you are the seller then it simply gives someone else the right to buy your shares for the amount listed on the contract -- the strike price. If you are the buyer of the contract, you have the right but not the obligation to buy the stock for the strike price listed. So for example look at WCYAW.X contract. The strike price is 17.50 and the premium is 4.15. The premium is the price you will buy it for or receive if selling. Here we will focus on writing calls, so we will be the seller. Rule of thumb is for every 100 shares you own of the underlying security you can sell 1 option contract. This is because each option contract is bundled in 100 shares. So if you were to sell 1 option contract at 4.15, you will actually get $415 dollars. Multiply this by 10 (1,000 shares/100) and you will get $4,150 dollars less transaction fees.

So your position is as follows.

$17,160 in Cisco shares.

$4,150 credit for selling 10 Cisco option contracts.

This means that if the stock rises past 17.50 strike, it will be exercised against you and your shares will be called away. Don't be scared...its ok. You received a premium of $4,150 for someone to have that right. Remember there is no downward risk to selling call options. You risk is upward, the fact that you won't capture any rise in stock past 17.50. This is why it's important to have equal amount of contracts sold to shares that you own. 100 shares = 1 contract. You don't want to have more than the amount of stock you own. This is because any upward movement in stock price past the strike is something you have to pay for. If you don't own the shares already, you have to buy them in the market and deliver them. It can be costly. Don't worry though, I doubt your broker will even consider allowing you to write naked options (meaning you don't own the stock) unless you sign numerous documents and have enough capital to front as liability in case the stock skyrockets.

Ok back to business. Lets do some math to find out what is our max loss here and max gain. This is easy.

Max gain is the premium plus any movement in stock till 17.50. So $4,150 + $340 = $4,490 or 21.65 a share. (26.2% gain max gain) Not bad for a little over a year.

Max loss is stock price you paid less the premium you received. So $17,160 - $4,150 = $13,010 or 13.01 a share.

If you were to hold the stock just outright, your max loss is the full $17,160.

So the strategy is obvious...max gain of 21.65 a share and 13.01 max loss per share.

The important factor when writing calls is choosing the price. So to make it easier, simply give your stock a target price you think it will be at expiration of the contract you want to write.

The most benefitial part of writing calls is that it captures gains even in a flat market. Let's say that your shares go from 17.16 to 25 six months later giving you a handsome return. Another six months go by, and the stock goes from 25 back to 17.16. Your gain is a big ZERO. You probably even lost some money due to inflation or opportunity loss.

If you sell some calls then if the stock stays at 17.16 a year later, you lost nothing on the value of the share, but gained 25% roughly on the premium collected.

If you think the stock will go to 25 within a year, then you might want to sell some 25 strike calls. This will give you a greater rate of return if it gets there and but a smaller protection.

The premium is 1.51 for a 25 strike call. So you will collect $1,510 + the movement of stock till 25 (7.84 a share). So total return would be 54.5% if it gets to 25 + premium. Any movement after 25 is a wash as each penny movement after 25 will cost you a penny in the option contract. So you are capped at 25 + premium. At the same time you have a smaller protection. With a 1.51 guaranteed premium, your downward protection is about 8.8% (17.16-1.51=15.65). So 54.5% max gain and 8.8% protection.

If you think the stock market will go down big, then you want to write deep in the money lets say at 10 strike price. The deeper you go into the money, the deeper the protection but your gains are really limited as well.

After a year, you can write another contract based on a new target you set for the stock. Rinse and repeat.

So if you don't feel like monitoring the market, then why not write some calls 6 months or a year from now to give you some protection and even give you a nice return in a flat or rising market.

You will get max yield if you write calls expiring in a month, this is because a month is more volatile than a year. So the premiums are higher. In Cisco's example, 1 month out calls at strike price (17.50) will generally yield 6-8% per month. Multiply this by 12 and you can see that gains can be 70-90% returns annually. Well dollar for dollar 1 month calls are cheaperr, but if you divide days till expiration (coverage) by the premium you will see that they are more expensive.

I write month out, sometimes a week out calls if the moment is right. Often I will buy a year out puts to give me max protection and write short term covered calls to capture short term gains. But this is another lesson another time.

I hope this makes sense. I tend to over-explain things. Many of you already know this so this is aimed at those that don't.

Good luck.

To give you a quick example how powerful using all tools in the market are (especially if you follow it daily) here is a sample.

I wrote 120 calls of Cisco with a 17 strike price expiring this december for 1.85. This was back in November when the stock was at 17.50. This has a premium of about 22K.

Just 3 days ago or so, Cisco fell to 14.80 and the price of the call fell to 14 cents per contract. I had to make a decision, either I write new calls at around 15 strike to protect myself further, or I can buy out the calls and close my position if I think stock moves higher. I did the later. I bought it out at 14 cents, so my net gain was 1.85-0.14 = 20,520 gain in a month. The reason for this is that the max I can gain if I kept my calls is 1,400 bucks. Which isn't that much so I might as well lock in the gain I had by buying back my calls.

The stock proceded to rise back back past 17 pretty quick. (yay) So I had a nice benefit by getting some premium, and then the gain from 14.80 to 17.65. At 17.65 (today) I re-wrote another 120 calls @ the same 17 strike for 0.98 per contract. This was the same contract I bought out at 14 cents. But since the stock moved higher, the value got greater. With about 10 days left to expiration it's an easy return, and they have already fallen in value as the stock moved from 17.65 to 17.16 -- currently at 85 cents per contract. So if it expires around 17 or higher, I will gain another 9,800 in 10 days.

So paying attention to the market, and cycling your cash can net you a higher return. But I don't recomment doing this until you get some practice and understand how it works.

Happy Trading!

[quote author="awgee" date=1228913375]I like 5 to 7 weeks out. Seem to get the most loss on premium from 7 weeks to expiry.</blockquote>

Nice. I'm usually all over the map. Generally, 1 month out...but if the opportunity arises I'll rebuy and re-sell often.

There is an important factor I left out when writing calls. You don't have to let your shares be called away.

For example if you bought the stock at 17.16, and wrote the 17.50 strike calls and collected 4.15 premium and stock closed at 17.75 a year later. This means that the option contract is worth .25 cents. Because its .25 cents above the strike price. A day or two before expiration or when the option is pretty low in value you can buy back the calls you sold and close out your position. So your net gain is 4.15 less the 0.25. This way you avoid the hassle of having your shares called away and rebuying new ones (can be costly in fees).

If the stock closes at 17.50 on the strike, nothing happens. Technically someone could exercise their option and call away your shares, but nobody in their right mind would do this when they can avoid the extra fees and buy the shares themselves for the same price.

If the stock closes below 17.50, you don't need to buy it back. Simply let it expire worthless and it will disappear giving you the full premium.

That is a very good description blackvault, good job. You certainly seem to have come a long way since we initially discussed the strategy:

"<strong>Blackvault_cm:</strong> I dont disagree with your strategy other than the fact that we are talking about writing calls in a market like we are in right now. If the economy is in poor situation like it is now, buying covered calls doesn?t protect you as even sound companies dropped 40-50%. Puts do. Every month? god no?3 months out and then the art of picking the right strike price?but thats a whole book in itself." ;-)

To be fair, I may have been too early when I started doing it a couple months ago. It's only fair I describe how this strategy has panned out for me so far.

I picked a strong company I believed in and would not mind owning. Bought the stock, went a bit on margin and wrote covered calls on the margined portion to limit the risk.

The first month I bought some amount at 13.50 and wrote some deep ITM calls at 11.50. I did underestimate the craziness of the market. Nothing but good news happened to the stock during the ensuing month (earnings beat, stock buyback, new products coming out, company made historical sale records vs. its whole industry, etc.). Yet the stock went down a whopping 3.00$ to end at 10.50. So my call was correct fundamentally but incorrect when it came to price action (and valuation, I guess the stock was considered overvalued).

Either way, whoever bought my calls lost his entire investment while I ended with a 7% loss. Considering that 7% lost could have been 22% I wouldn't be complaining. I let the calls expire, and wrote some new calls at 10.00$. I did not write the calls so deep ITM, making a judgment call that the stock was less likely to fall as much. Thus, less protection, more potential gain.

In a couple days I'll know how well those calls did. Currently, the stock is down again from last month, standing at 9.72 or another 0.78 lower than last month. If the price is the same next friday, whoever bought the calls will lose his entire investment <em>again</em>. I will make a profit, however, as the drop didn't eat my whole premium - profit would be around 4%, erasing half the my current 7% drawdown. Then next Friday I'll need to re-evaluate if I write calls again, or if I take a chance and let the stock fly on its own unprotected.

So, those are the results so far - a 3% loss if the stock doesn't go lower within 2 days. Didn't go exactly as planned to be honest, though a 3% loss is pretty good when I would have had a much bigger loss of 28% had I not written the calls.

It should be noted the stock didn't just zip down in one go and it had wide runs up or down of 20%. Along the way there were some opportunities to get out at breakeven but that wasn't part of my strategy (you don't make your full premium if you buy back the calls before expiration).

One thing I did run into is when the stock goes lower pretty fast you end up with too few strikes. At a 10.00 price the only strikes available are 7.5 and 10, so that seriously hampers the strategy (a 11.25 strike was available when the stock was higher). I would suggest doing this with a higher-priced stock.

There is probably something useful to be done by doing the inverse of this strategy on leveraged ETFs, aka. shorting them and writing deep ITM puts on them. As some have noticed the 2x ETFs have a tendency to go lower over time due to the disadvantageous compounding process - both the Ultra and Ultra shorts tend to go down over the long run.

Good luck to anyone trying out these strategies.

Thanks for contributing muzie and adding valuable information. I switched back to writing covered calls as the market has cooled. Buying puts or calls right now is not easy money as it once was. Honestly I wouldn't mind a Japan like scenario were things are dead for years. This way a consistant 8% monthly yield would be orgasmic.

So I take it we are making peace between us? ;)

[quote author="blackvault_cm" date=1229645706]

So I take it we are making peace between us? ;)</blockquote>

Haha yes, yes.

The market was badly getting under my skin. From July to October I was literally spending 12 hours a day reading about and watching the markets. I was short most of the time - but all the negativity everywhere was getting to me, so I guess I was getting a bit pissy about it all. Sorry about that. In the end I covered the shorts way too early late September and moved to the long side much too early as well mid October.

Either way, in my case I picked this strategy because it helped me to disconnect fro the markets. Since the main goal is to cash in the premiums on the calls, the daily gyrations of the stocks don't mean anything - the only number that matters is the one on the options expiration date.

As you mentioned, I also picked the strategy because it reflects a potentially Japan-like view: that the worst of the crash is over, but there nowhere for the market to go.

Back