How Portola High compares to Uni or NHS

Unless your child qualifies as a poster child (1st gen college is the golden ticket) focus on schools that take test scores into account. 4 years of athletics is a big plus if combined with a college prep schedule as well. Good private counselors are worth every penny. Have your 4.x/high test score kids prepare for UC wait lists as UC no longer counts test scores.

If your child has a potential for Ivies and that is great to have this inspiration to aim high within certain financial constraints. If you are thinking of buying a property in Irvine solely for the school district, let me forwarn you that your prodigy child, if not in the top three spots commensurate with stellar life experiences, wisdom, and future potential, there is no chance. The top colleges discriminate against applicants from Irvine by setting an unachievable standard. It is possible, but it will require sacrifices from the child and parents and likely future emotional resentments and repercussions. The competition among Irvine high school is fierce, and there is a ranking assigned on your child?s transcript. Stellar Irvine students, unfortunately, have a disadvantage. My daughter currently does volunteering interviewing for her college admission, and foremost, Irvine applicants based on her assessment rarely advance to the next round. This holistic approach is still a reality for all private colleges. The UC?s seem to be unbiased and focus on merits than personality, where most Irvine students stumble on. The metropolitan UC?s are excellent schools, and the education is up to par with the ivies if not better.

I guess you don't have many projects in Irvine anymore.
Glad you're still around.

The piano audition for OCSA is no joke.

If you look hard, you will always find a few of my clever innovations in the Irvine market. Irvine is no longer my focus, and I have moved on and traded stop signs in front of my projects for signal lights. It's nice to see some old-timers here and especially the snarkiest ones.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The UC?s seem to be unbiased and focus on merits than personality, where most Irvine students stumble on.

Asians have no personality?  Now you sound like a Harvard admissions officer.  ;)

Back