How overcrowded are the classrooms in Irvine?

JoonB_IHB

As background, I tried registering my daughter for 2nd grade for next year at Stone Creek. She currently is at a private school in NB. I didn't think we'd be renting so long- but now the private school doesn't go to 2nd grade and I am going to have to put her in the public school. (Nothing wrong with that, but I just didn't want to be yanking her out of different schools since we will not be buying a home that services Stone Creek).

I went the first day, and I was turned away and told to make an appointment as the line was getting too long.

I went a second time, but was told my info was not complete. I did not have the utility bills with the same address for service and billing (goes to my PO Box). I brought other bills (like the phone bill) that *would* gave been ok the second time I went, but apparently the phone bill isn?t on the approved list of utility bills. I gave her what I had and she put it in the system, but my daughter could not be put on a classroom list.

I changed this information for all my utility bills and waited for the next billing cycle that shows the proper way they want to see the utility bills.

So, on our third visit, I provide my utility bill. All seems fine and ready to go until I ask her- ?So in clear conscience, I know she is ?on a classroom list? I don?t have to worry about her not having a spot. So then she tells me that the school is going to be sending out ?Impact Letters?. Apparently, there is no guarantee that my daughter will be at Stone Creek- she may need to be sent somewhere else and then when it's 3rd grade she would have the possibility to go back to Stone Creek.

Is the school just trying to cover their bases, or is there is real possibility I have to wait to see where she is going to be put for 2nd grade? Has this happened to anyone? I am a working full time mom- so this issue not knowing for sure where she is going to be next year is very unsettling for me. I need to put her on a waiting list somewhere for before school care- but what good does that do if I don?t even know where she will be? I called the Irvine Unified School District for clarification, and they told me it?s on a school-by-school basis- I could be waiting up until September to know where my daughter will be placed.

How overcrowded are the classrooms in Irvine?

Joon,

There is a crucial piece of information missing... is Stone Creek your school of residency??

According to <a href="http://www.iusd.org/enrollment/EnrollmentRestrictions.html">this page</a>, if you are outside the school attendance area, Stone Creek is already closed for the 2009-2010 school year. If you are not outside of the attendance area, then you can check that page in early June to gauge where they are.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1242194529]Joon,

There is a crucial piece of information missing... is Stone Creek your school of residency??

According to <a href="http://www.iusd.org/enrollment/EnrollmentRestrictions.html">this page</a>, if you are outside the school attendance area, Stone Creek is already closed for the 2009-2010 school year. If you are not outside of the attendance area, then you can check that page in early June to gauge where they are.</blockquote>

<A href="http://iusd.org/asp-bin/whichschool/">http://iusd.org/asp-bin/whichschool/</A>

With regards to before school care, I have heard that Creekers Club (on-site at Stone Creek) is tough to get a spot at... You should probably talk to their director ASAP if you think your daughter may be at Stone Creek.

Yes- sorry I was not clear- Stone Creek is my school.

IPO- yes I heard the Creekers Club is very hard to get into. I already called about 2 months ago. Since I work stock market hours- I REALLY need before school care. I don't need after-school care. I called and they told me that before school care is a possibility, but after-school care is not possible.

When I called the IUSD, they were really not very helpful. But the only helpful piece of information they did give me was that there are 4 schools facing this situation with capacity closed to the outside boundaries- so even those inside school boundaries coming into their assigned school might have problems: Oak Creek, Brywood, Stone Creek and Plaza Vista. I was actually surprised they didn't mention TRock or Bonita Canyon.

I guess all the new housing in Tustin Field/VOC is crowding Stone Creek. Aren't they eventually getting their own school?

And I thought that my stories of trying to get my son into one of the local charter schools were bad. I really think this is a sign of things to come with schools. It's been this way in New York City for a long time, we're just seeing the beginning.

[quote author="JoonB" date=1242196835]I guess all the new housing in Tustin Field/VOC is crowding Stone Creek. Aren't they eventually getting their own school?</blockquote>
I don't think so.

The schools they have slated to build on the other side of Jamboree are TUSD... so unless they redistrict CG... they are going to keep going to Stone Creek unless they get moved to a different school (Plaza Vista makes more sense as it's closer to them but I believe they are crowded too).

Listen to me as I have posted before in another thread. Manipulation of school boundaries and enrollment impact closure are a part of strategies to favor new home sales at new communities. VoC does not have the political leverage to influence IUSD decisions. Buying in VoC meant your kids may not get into a school period. New schools are not being implemented in VoC district so existing schools are overly burden by students who can't eat fruits grown from their backyards.

Only residents of new homes have enrollment access to the newly built schools. What do you think of this new BK strategy? Desperate Chinese parents would pay at any price for their kids to be able to enroll into an Irvine school.

At the end of the day. Chinese parents would not wait for home prices to reach rent parity because education dictates over all other decisions.

Guess who always win the monopoly?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242201798]Manipulation of school boundaries and enrollment impact closure are a part of strategies to favor new home sales at new communities.

</blockquote>

Isn't it true that there are more kids in the new communities than the old ones so it actually makes logical sense to locate new and relocate existing capacity to the new communities?

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1242261625][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242201798]Manipulation of school boundaries and enrollment impact closure are a part of strategies to favor new home sales at new communities.

</blockquote>

Isn't it true that there are more kids in the new communities than the old ones so it actually makes logical sense to locate new and relocate existing capacity to the new communities?</blockquote>

Here is the ideal goal for most developers. Buy a resale your kids are not guaranteed enrollment but buy a brand new home then your kids get in to the school immediately.

Now, lets find a strategy starting with IUSD to help boost new home sales at benchmark pricing.

How did all of those condos by the airport end up in the Santa Ana district? University High seems much closer than Century High.

look at the school district <a href="http://www2.sausd.us/maps/locator2.asp?id=5855">map for condos on Michelson</a>. Did Donald Bren pay the IUSD a few million to ensure that children who are living in developments that aren't his get shipped off halfway across the county?

[quote author="ABC123" date=1242271909]How did all of those condos by the airport end up in the Santa Ana district? University High seems much closer than Century High.

look at the school district <a href="http://www2.sausd.us/maps/locator2.asp?id=5855">map for condos on Michelson</a>. Did Donald Bren pay the IUSD a few million to ensure that children who are living in developments that aren't his get shipped off halfway across the county?</blockquote>

Why do you think wealthy business men across America contribute a lots of money to elect politicians?

Back