How old were you when you had your first job?

Yeah, Lehman brothers is really a well respected company.... Most of those effers should be wearing tights over the faces. They are the epitome of entitlement, greed, corruption and the bastardization of any kind of integrity, honesty or accountability.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1257028835]I think I was like 6 when I started making silk flowers and matchbox cars in a tiny Hong Kong apartment. I thought I was pretty lucky.</blockquote>

During the 60's I remember doing the Barbi doll torso using razor blade to cut the holes for leg, arm, and neck sockets. A small bag of tiny plastic blue eye balls was a daunting task because these bead like size easily total to 10,000 in a small bag. I used pin to puncture holes and snapped in the eyeballs one at a time.

When i was 13, I worked at McDonalds making $3.75 an hour and at age 15 i was an honor caddy at Barrington Hills Country Club. I remember Walter Payton (former Chicago Bears) trying to get membership there back then but got denied because he was black. Seriously, this place was a "White Only" countryclub back in the 90s. I would carry two golf bags for 18 holes and would make about $40 - $50 in four hours. Man!, that was good money back then. That's also the time I first got interested in stocks, small businesses, and real estate because that's what these County Club members always talked about. Oh yeah!, they also loved to talk about hot blonde and brunette women, and I always tried keep my virgin ears closed.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1256995595][quote author="childplease" date=1256966240]

So parents reading this blog, let your kid be a kid and worry about education and having fun w/ friends. None of my friends worked growing up and even though we were at times ungrateful, we all turned out ok working for good companies at one point...Deloitte, PWC, Accenture, Latham, Reedsmith, Sidley Austin, BCG, Lehman Bros i-banking, Credit Suisse i-banking, etc. And if for nothing else, it'd really help my property value.</blockquote>

I am sorry to say these companies meant nothing to me. If you think the measure of success is which companies you have worked for or where your diplomas were issued then your parents did not raise you well. Sure, money can buy tutors, good school district, education, good college, and even a good job but character is not for sale.

Abby Rockefeller once said to her son David success is not measured by how much wealth you made in your life but how many lives you successful changed by your wealth.</blockquote>

Wow, getting ripped over the weekend. I only mentioned these companies to say that although my friends and I didn't have jobs as teens we still managed ok. Point was, not having a job as a teen and having your parents financial assistance did not = automatic failure or lack of ambition.

But now you're using such extremes it's ridiculous.

You make it sound as if your life epitomizes character and high moral standard strictly on the way you were raised. And yes, in an earlier post I admitted to vices, but don't we all have them and don't we all move on to new ones regardless of our backgrounds?

And what's wrong w/ experiences w/ prof's??? They are after all industry experts (in your field of study) and hopefully researching and publishing cutting edge ideas...maybe you did some research and chipped in? I respect that more as a hiring manager than hearing how you resolved an issue at bob's big boy. I appreciate hearing how a fresh college grad resolved issues and led a group in class because it shows they can lead like peers (people they will end up working w/ at my company), and not limited to experiences w/ people who will be serving them in the cafeteria. Not trying to be offensive, but telling it like it is.

No mas...time to move

[quote author="Nude" date=1256980173]childplease,

You lack the frame of reference necessary to have a qualified opinion on the matter. People who did not come from privileged homes don't take anything for granted, and it's quite obvious from your statements that you did and still do. You have that luxury because you know you have a safety net. And while you may not think it makes a difference in life, I can assure you that I would rather trust my money and business with someone who started with nothing than someone who thinks they learned hard life lessons interacting with professors or during mock interviews in a campus library.

No offense, but most poor kids learn that fancy clothes and BMWs hold no real value when they have to split a single hot dog for dinner. Earning an MBA and spending spring break in Cancun doesn't give you the same cred as working two jobs to put yourself through school does, and your posts here only serve to highlight your ignorance on the subject.</blockquote>

You still got your job at bob's big boy hooking yourself up w/ more life lessons and character? I get you're saying you are who you are today because of those experiences, but I'm saying, why stop there? Keep the job and keep building. Why don't you? Let me guess, because you don't have to...just like some didn't have to have as a teen so quit hatin'

I get life's not fair...but accept it and move on. no need to call others ignorant or think your experiences were better than others. Minimum wage work is not life's only teacher.

[quote author="childplease" date=1257218229]You still got your job at bob's big boy hooking yourself up w/ more life lessons and character? I get you're saying you are who you are today because of those experiences, but I'm saying, why stop there? Keep the job and keep building. Why don't you? Let me guess, because you don't have to...just like some didn't have to have as a teen so quit hatin'

I get life's not fair...but accept it and move on. no need to call others ignorant or think your experiences were better than others. Minimum wage work is not life's only teacher.</blockquote>

First, I never worked at Bob's Big Boy. Second, I am still learning life's lessons... for example, just now I learned that you are a troll with the vocabulary and writing skills of a 15-year old rapper wannabe. Third, I never claimed *my* experiences were better than others, I was refuting your claim that *your* experiences were equal to those of poor kids.

Look, you can't possibly win this argument and unless you are going to bust out some lipstick, spare us the rehash of "The Breakfast Club". You can not possibly understand what it takes to overcome something you have never experienced, much like I (being male) will never fully understand what it is like to give birth or have a menstrual cycle. Lacking that experience, it's therefore impossible to equate your childhood to that of mine. I can't equate my childhood to that of bkshopr for much of the same reason, because compared to him, I had it good. You claim that lack of experience doesn't affect character, but our experiences tell us otherwise. However, you brush all that aside because it doesn't fit with your world view and prefer to remain ignorant... and willfully so.

By the way, has anyone ever told you you write like <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/member/541/">Tenmagnet</a>?

[quote author="Nude" date=1257222813][quote author="childplease" date=1257218229]You still got your job at bob's big boy hooking yourself up w/ more life lessons and character? I get you're saying you are who you are today because of those experiences, but I'm saying, why stop there? Keep the job and keep building. Why don't you? Let me guess, because you don't have to...just like some didn't have to have as a teen so quit hatin'

I get life's not fair...but accept it and move on. no need to call others ignorant or think your experiences were better than others. Minimum wage work is not life's only teacher.</blockquote>

First, I never worked at Bob's Big Boy. Second, I am still learning life's lessons... for example, just now I learned that you are a troll with the vocabulary and writing skills of a 15-year old rapper wannabe. Third, I never claimed *my* experiences were better than others, I was refuting your claim that *your* experiences were equal to those of poor kids.

Look, you can't possibly win this argument and unless you are going to bust out some lipstick, spare us the rehash of "The Breakfast Club". You can not possibly understand what it takes to overcome something you have never experienced, much like I (being male) will never fully understand what it is like to give birth or have a menstrual cycle. Lacking that experience, it's therefore impossible to equate your childhood to that of mine. I can't equate my childhood to that of bkshopr for much of the same reason, because compared to him, I had it good. You claim that lack of experience doesn't affect character, but our experiences tell us otherwise. However, you brush all that aside because it doesn't fit with your world view and prefer to remain ignorant... and willfully so.

By the way, has anyone ever told you you write like <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/member/541/">Tenmagnet</a>?</blockquote>

Never really read his posts, but I guess he writes like a 15 yr old wannabe rapper too? I don't know what it's like and you had to jump through a few more hoops than some, I get it. But there's others who've jumped through more and I'm sure you wouldn't step aside for them because YOU deserve everything right? Your experiences were the definition of trial and tribulation...no one can compare and there should be a movie on your life. Surely any kid that didn't work their hands raw, walk 10 miles in snow, dance on the street corner for bus fair has nothing on you.

You know what you sound like? BITTER. If you were up for a promotion and it went to someone else, you'd be the one talking cr@p about how you deserved it more...tell me that hasn't happened to you?

No, I think experiences shape who we are, but working as a teen is NOT the only experience and teacher in life is what I keep saying. You can be fine and balanced w/o it. I will never understand what you went through, and I'm not saying our experiences were equal, but it doesn't qualify you as being a better person. Just because a woman goes through child birth it doesn't make them better. Guys go through things women don't so it evens out. Just like my life vs. yours...not really it sounds like it sucked to be you growing up. But you made it, so hooray! We're HAPPY HAPPY for you! You deserve everything and then some! You gained so much more from your experiences as a kid than me...congrats. If only I could've gone through those things...I know it's my ignorance allowing this sarcasm. I'm sure you'd do it all over again...in fact I know you would but that's cause you don't know any better.

Again, you are entirely missing the point. It's not about who's life sucked more, it's about what kind of person you are if you rise above that and become successful. Working for what you want and making hard choices and sacrifices at a young age instill character traits that many privileged kids do not pick up until much later in life, if ever.

You keep trying to make this about some sort of jealousy and it's simply not. It's not about class envy or hatred or being bitter or being better. It's simply about what experiences make teenagers more prepared for life.

[quote author="Nude" date=1257238396]Again, you are entirely missing the point. It's not about who's life sucked more, it's about what kind of person you are if you rise above that and become successful. Working for what you want and making hard choices and sacrifices at a young age instill character traits that many privileged kids do not pick up until much later in life, if ever.

You keep trying to make this about some sort of jealousy and it's simply not. It's not about class envy or hatred or being bitter or being better. It's simply about what experiences make teenagers more prepared for life.</blockquote>

Only brought it up because you keep stating you're more qualified as a human being because you worked as a teen. I don't know what you had to rise above, but you're not the only one...everyone has problems, some more extreme. Did it build character and prepare you for life? I'm sure. Can you still be prepared for life w/o those experiences? Of course. Quit trying to say your experience trumps those who had more(financially) than you.

"If ever"??? c'mon, this is why I keep saying you sound bitter. You're talking the extreme, what you see on tv and not the norm. And what's wrong w/ learning later? If you have the means to learn later, what's the big deal? When did you learn these wonderful lessons? Is that the bar we should all be set to...the age you did it? Should we all experience what you went through even if we have the means to prevent that?

I can't stand meeting people who say, "well I did this and that, so they should too... or everything needs to be 50/50" those are the most bitter people and you remind me of that...that's why I was teasing you and still am. I'm sure you're proud of yourself for it, and rightfully so, but please don't take away accomplishments of others just because we didn't follow your exact footsteps.

[quote author="childplease" date=1257240276][quote author="Nude" date=1257238396]Again, you are entirely missing the point. It's not about who's life sucked more, it's about what kind of person you are if you rise above that and become successful. Working for what you want and making hard choices and sacrifices at a young age instill character traits that many privileged kids do not pick up until much later in life, if ever.

You keep trying to make this about some sort of jealousy and it's simply not. It's not about class envy or hatred or being bitter or being better. It's simply about what experiences make teenagers more prepared for life.</blockquote>

Only brought it up because you keep stating you're more qualified as a human being because you worked as a teen. I don't know what you had to rise above, but you're not the only one...everyone has problems, some more extreme. Did it build character and prepare you for life? I'm sure. Can you still be prepared for life w/o those experiences? Of course. Quit trying to say your experience trumps those who had more(financially) than you.

"If ever"??? c'mon, this is why I keep saying you sound bitter. You're talking the extreme, what you see on tv and not the norm. And what's wrong w/ learning later? If you have the means to learn later, what's the big deal? When did you learn these wonderful lessons? Is that the bar we should all be set to...the age you did it? Should we all experience what you went through even if we have the means to prevent that?

I can't stand meeting people who say, "well I did this and that, so they should too... or everything needs to be 50/50" those are the most bitter people and you remind me of that...that's why I was teasing you and still am. I'm sure you're proud of yourself for it, and rightfully so, but please don't take away accomplishments of others just because we didn't follow your exact footsteps.</blockquote>

I'm done. You are a broken record and being intentionally obtuse in order to save face. Good luck to you in your life.

Child Please!

There are something that you can't learn from books and that is wisdom. I am not saying Nude is better than you because he grew up without a silver spoon while you had that spoon in your mouth until you were 28. He has the street smart that allows him to move and adapt to any environment or even starting life over in another state or even country. However for you, you will have a really hard time to adapt and recover if one day your career falls to the bottom.

You had a smooth ride your entire life and experienced very little disappointments. When you have been provided a ladder all your life and you only know how to climb. What goes up must come down and I am not sure if you know how to fall my friend.

You are not alone. There is a whole generation here in Irvine following your footstep afraid to travel west of the 55.

Sometimes the "lucky" kids have parents who are work-a-holics and away from home so much that they feel giving to their child financially covers all the bases and satiates all parties. It doesn't. I've had friends who I did feel envious of until I realized the parents were absentee and emotionally-bankrupt. It takes more than material things to give a child everything he needs. A person in that situation may become equipped in different ways. We don't know the inner-workings of childplease's family dynamics.

I am in a unique situation in that I grew up pretty much fending for myself and my husband grew up with fairly wealthy and stable parents. Our attitudes towards security are extremely different. I became a teacher in many ways in order to KNOW that I'd have a steady paycheck, pension and insurance. My husband became a teacher because he knew that he really didn't care about money very much, so he chose a career he really likes (I do also like my job though). He floats through life not really worrying about paying bills (although his parents taught him to be responsible), he has always known that he has a backup in his parents. I, on the other hand, really take nothing for granted. I sometimes envy the lack of fear he has when facing new situations, this is something the stability his parents provided has enabled him to have. He never really takes advantage of his parents or even asks them for anything, his sister on the other hand...............

My first job (not counting random things such as putting my sister and her friends to work to sell candy and crafts that they made) was as a paperboy probably when I was maybe 14. I had wanted to be a paperboy for years and finally got the opportunity then. Unfortunately, it didn't last long because a year or so after I started, they got rid of all the paperboys. They had two routes for me to choose from and I told the guy at the Mercury News that I had a friend who would be interested in doing this too. Fun times.. I still remember my buddy freaking out when a dog scared the heck out of him one day. On Sundays, I had help from my dad. He would drive me and I would throw the papers out of the car. At the end of the route, he would let me drive back back home.

Next job was a summer job in HS. A friend of a friend of my parents had a computer company and needed some cheap labor. I assembled PCs. It was just boring work. But there were a few other young people there so it was fun.

Next job was another summer job in HS. An uncle of mine had a software company and I helped with QA (I had no idea what QA was when I started and why anyone would need whole departments to do this lol). No young people there; I was so bored.. But I do recall going to the 7-11 across the street every day and eating nachos for lunch and playing SF2.

Looking back, I am glad I had all those experiences. When I look back at college, I do wish I had done internships each summer.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1257251608]Sometimes the "lucky" kids have parents who are work-a-holics and away from home so much that they feel giving to their child financially covers all the bases and satiates all parties. It doesn't. I've had friends who I did feel envious of until I realized the parents were absentee and emotionally-bankrupt. It takes more than material things to give a child everything he needs. A person in that situation may become equipped in different ways. We don't know the inner-workings of childplease's family dynamics.</blockquote>

Like most things, there's a good and a bad. I've yet to find a job that's willing to pay me more to do less. Maybe I'm in the wrong industry or need to learn to do w/ less.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1257244398]Child Please!

There are something that you can't learn from books and that is wisdom. I am not saying Nude is better than you because he grew up without a silver spoon while you had that spoon in your mouth until you were 28. He has the street smart that allows him to move and adapt to any environment or even starting life over in another state or even country. However for you, you will have a really hard time to adapt and recover if one day your career falls to the bottom.

You had a smooth ride your entire life and experienced very little disappointments. When you have been provided a ladder all your life and you only know how to climb. What goes up must come down and I am not sure if you know how to fall my friend.

You are not alone. There is a whole generation here in Irvine following your footstep afraid to travel west of the 55.</blockquote>

You obviously haven't read any religious texts or even a parable as a child. I think you meant street smarts/commen sense and not wisdom.

and when/if ever I fall from that ladder, hopefully I'll have enough money left to hire a sherpa to take me higher...otherwise you'll be right!

Started working at 22, not 28. It's funny to me that you guys keep saying "silver spoon", "never experienced difficulty", "everything was handed to you", "only learned to climb"...is that a bad thing for a child? I hope my child is always happy and doesn't stress about adult problems. There's a life time of that waiting for her, no need to rush. She'll learn responsibility from home and school and common sense from experiences with friends...I don't want her to be the jaded 14 yr old who has seen too much and thinks they know it all for their age. Everything she does, I'll make sure she "climbs high" to build her self confidence. No need to throw her down to see if she survives...those lessons come at school when you get a humiliating A- on a test and then make it back to 100%!

[quote author="childplease" date=1257294942][quote author="bkshopr" date=1257244398]Child Please!

You are not alone. There is a whole generation here in Irvine following your footstep afraid to travel west of the 55.</blockquote>

You obviously haven't read any religious texts or even a parable as a child. I think you meant street smarts/commen sense and not wisdom.

and when/if ever I fall from that ladder, hopefully I have enough money left to hire a shirpa to take me higher...otherwise you'll be right!

Started working at 22, not 28. It's funny to me that you guys keep saying "silver spoon", "never experienced difficulty", "everything was handed to you", "only learned to climb"...is that a bad thing for a child? I hope my child is always happy and doesn't stress about adult problems. There's a life time of that waiting for her, no need to rush. She'll learn responsibility from home and school and common sense from experiences with friends...I don't want her to be the jaded 14 yr old who has seen too much and thinks they know it all for their age. Everything she does, I'll make sure she "climbs high" to build her self confidence. No need to throw her down to see if she survives...those lessons come at school when you get a humiliating A- on a test and then make it back to 100%!</blockquote>

[quote author="childplease" date=1257294942][quote author="bkshopr" date=1257244398]Child Please!

and when/if ever I fall from that ladder, hopefully I'll have enough money left to hire a shirpa to take me higher...otherwise you'll be right!

Started working at 22, not 28. It's funny to me that you guys keep saying "silver spoon", "never experienced difficulty", "everything was handed to you", "only learned to climb"...is that a bad thing for a child? I hope my child is always happy and doesn't stress about adult problems. There's a life time of that waiting for her, no need to rush. She'll learn responsibility from home and school and common sense from experiences with friends...I don't want her to be the jaded 14 yr old who has seen too much and thinks they know it all for their age. Everything she does, I'll make sure she "climbs high" to build her self confidence. No need to throw her down to see if she survives...those lessons come at school <strong>when you get a humiliating A- on a test and then make it back to 100%!</blockquote></strong>

Are you deliberately trying to get on people's nerves or are you really like this in real life?

Back