How old is old enough to walk to school?

And also... once right of way is established and that car proceeds... all previous timestamps are reset.

I hate it when people think they have the right of way because they got to a stop before me when we both had to wait for the cross traffic to go through. If you're facing me and turning left... even if you got to the stop sign before me... if we both had to wait for a car/pedestrian to cross... I have right of way because I'm going straight.

Starlight East said:
irvinehomeowner said:
And also... once right of way is established and that car proceeds... all previous timestamps are reset.

I hate it when people think they have the right of way because they got to a stop before me when we both had to wait for the cross traffic to go through. If you're facing me and turning left... even if you got to the stop sign before me... if we both had to wait for a car/pedestrian to cross... I have right of way because I'm going straight.

No. There is no reset of timestamps. The right/straight goes first only applies when you arrive at the same time.
I'm not sure you understand me.

Let's use the above picture.  Car B arrives at the intersection before Car C (who is turning left), and proceeds to through the intersection. While doing so (and because Car B is a slow driver), Car A arrives at their stop (and is going straight). Now that Car B (or a pedestrian) has cleared, it is time for Car C and Car A to proceed.

Which Car now has the right of way?

Starlight East said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Let's use the above picture.  Car B arrives at the intersection before Car C (who is turning left), and proceeds to through the intersection. While doing so (and because Car B is a slow driver), Car A arrives at their stop (and is going straight). Now that Car B (or a pedestrian) has cleared, it is time for Car C and Car A to proceed.

Which Car now has the right of way?

C was there before A, so C goes first.
So when I hit your car turning left in front of me... guess who the cops are going to side with.

One thing everyone should remember just to be safe... right of way trumps all... even timestamps.

It's safer to let the person go straight then to turn in front of them... there is little recourse you have to avoid them hitting you.
iacrenter said:
Hehehe...this is why we end up with so many accidents in Irvine--no one can agree on the rules  :D
And that's why I'm hesitant to let me kids walk on their own... because even rules doesn't prevent people from breaking them or misunderstanding them and causing accidents.

Now I see why you wouldn't want your kid walking to school:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/brown-276246-state-santa.html

Violent sex offender to be released in Irvine, Tustin or Santa Ana

Authorities say a convicted sex offender who kidnapped and violently assaulted two young girls 27 years ago is scheduled to be released from Chino State Prison on parole Wednesday and will move to Irvine, Tustin or Santa Ana.

Top law enforcement and political leaders in Orange County held a joint news conference Tuesday to warn the public about Lawrence Joseph Brown, who they believe will hurt another child. They also criticized the state's Department of Mental Health for not designating Brown a sexual violent predator, which would have kept Brown committed in a psychiatric hospital once he was finished with his sentence.
Article Tab : Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas enters a press conference Tuesday, November 16, 2010, to call attention to the impending release of violent convicted sex offender Lawrence Brown, shown in background. Brown who was convicted of kidnapping and violently molesting two girls in 1983, is expected to be released Wednesday in Tustin, Irvine or Santa Ana.
Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas enters a press conference Tuesday, November 16, 2010, to call attention to the impending release of violent convicted sex offender Lawrence Brown, shown in background. Brown who was convicted of kidnapping and violently molesting two girls in 1983, is expected to be released Wednesday in Tustin, Irvine or Santa Ana.

Brown, 52, served 25 years of a 49-year sentence for two separate, random attacks in Santa Ana on two girls, ages 7 and 8, in 1983. In both cases, Brown, then 25, snatched the girls in a red van, raped them and then let them go, warning them that he would hurt them if they told anyone of the sexual assault, police said.

back to jail, just heard on the news... part of his parole requirements is that he can't ride in a car with a female..  a women picked him up from prison... 

I read the District Attorney's press release and there is more to this than just he did his time (which seems to be them at OCReader):

1. He still claims he's not guilty.
2. DNA testing not available in the 80s was done this year and linked the 2nd victim to him.
3. He was out on parole earlier this year and violated his parole by allowing his GPS unit battery to die so no one could track him.
4. He shows no remorse and that makes him even more dangerous (in my opinion).

lf8ae4-lf8acv01ir.tc.0118.ks.jpg

Another sad reason why I wouldn't let my kid walk/bike to school alone. This accident happened where I live. The kid was probably on his way to elementary school at Orchard Hills. I pray he makes a full recovery. Please drive carefully out there.

Child critical after being trapped under SUV
By ALEJANDRA MOLINA
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
http://www.ocregister.com/news/mckeown-284546-child-critical.html

I hope he will be okay... stories like this sadden me and make me more paranoid.

My kids are so distracted in their own home... it's very hard for me to trust them to be walking/biking on the public streets without supervision until they are at least 12. I don't know how many times I've had to stop my youngest from walking out into the parking lot because he's so oblivious to cars.

It sounds like the 10yr old child will do well. Very scary story. Initial reports appear the child was wearing a helmet and zipped in front of the suv as it was making a turn at Portola & Culver as the light changed.
===================================================http://www.ocregister.com/news/mckeown-284546-child-critical.html
Injuries to boy pinned by SUV called not life-threatening
By ALEJANDRA MOLINA
2011-01-18 09:03:15

IRVINE ? A fifth-grade student from Orchard Hills School who was trapped underneath an SUV on Tuesday morning did not suffer life-threatening injuries, authorities said.

"The principal talked to the family ... injuries are not life threatening," said Mark Eliot, a spokesman for the Tustin Unified School District. "He will be fine."

Initial reports Tuesday indicated the boy, who was riding a bicycle, was in critical condition after he was struck by the SUV. The boy was taken to Western Medical Center-Santa Ana, said Capt. Greg McKeown with the Orange County Fire Authority.

The incident was reported at 7:26 a.m. on Culver Drive and Portola Parkway, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Greg McKeown.

When firefighters arrived on scene, the child was trapped underneath the SUV, McKeown said.

Crews used rescue airbags to lift the vehicle and about 13 firefighters assisted with the rescue, McKeown said.

Based on the preliminary investigation, the child was wearing a helmet at the time of the collision, said Cmdr. John Hare with the Irvine Police Department.

Steve Stafford was about five cars behind the SUV Tuesday morning when he was driving his son to Beckman High.

"When the line of traffic I was traveling with entered the right turn lane, the SUV was stopped at the light," Stafford said. "As it began to turn the rider appeared quickly and rode out in front of the SUV."

"I doubt the driver had much chance to see the rider as he appeared about the same time as the driver committed to pulling forward," Stafford said.

Rich Montgomery, principal at Orchard Hills School, arrived after the crash occurred and confirmed the child is a student at the school.

"It is a very heavily traffic thoroughfare," Montgomery said.

Montgomery said there is no crossing guard at that intersection.

Eliot said officials will be releasing a message to families regarding the incident.

Further details regarding the crash were not released and the crash is under investigation, Hare said.

"The Irvine Police Department is working in partnership with the Tustin Unified School District to see if there is anything else we can do to enhance safety in that particular intersection," said Cmdr. Mike Hamel with the Irvine Police Department.

Contact the writer: amolina@ocregister.com or 714-704-3795

? Copyright 2011 Freedom Communications. All Rights Reserved

According to the Principal's message, the boy is doing well.
Last year the crossing guard at Peter's Canyon Elementary was hit by a SUV, and after that they haven't had a crossing guard.

Crazy. I was just at the intersection of Culver & Portola Pkwy right as school was getting out and right where the accident happened yesterday. Lots of kids were on their bikes flying across the intersection and the one before that lets you into the shopping center. I guess they never heard about walking their bikes off the curb. At our school, I made sure to have the secretary give an overheard announcement about that because it was getting dangerous at crosswalks. I did roll down my window and shout to the kids to walk but they were oblivious either by choice or not - that should say something right there. If they can't hear me shouting, can they hear a car coming?

Cubic Zirconia said:
According to the Principal's message, the boy is doing well.
Last year the crossing guard at Peter's Canyon Elementary was hit by a SUV, and after that they haven't had a crossing guard.

OMG, this is awful. I don't mean to make light of this tragedy, but...do they not have a crossing guard because it's too dangerous, or because they just haven't hired someone else? Because if it's too dangerous for an adult crossing guard, I can't imagine what it must be like for kids.

My first thoughts about this post were about stranger dangers, that kind of thing, not cars and traffic safety, but I guess in Irvine with all the extremely high-speed streets, it really is a concern.

I think the accident and budget cut coincided. It is not a pretty sight- everyday, almost everyday there is at least one driver who is busy texting or putting on makeup and ignores a 7-8 yr old kid crossing, and other drivers have to honk to get attention. I wish they could do something about the situation.

irvinehomeowner said:
You guys are making me more paranoid than I already am.

At this rate I'll be carrying my kids to school.

Screw that, we're just gonna live in a bomb shelter and homeschool.

Just got this email from IUSD:
Dear parent:

The Irvine Police Department is investigating a report of child annoyance after a man allegedly exposed himself to a 6-year-old student walking home from an Irvine elementary school on Wednesday. Police say the crime occurred in a residential area on Deerfield Avenue, west of Yale Avenue, at approximately 1:45 p.m. The student later informed a family member.

The suspect is described as a white male in his thirties, wearing an orange shirt and blue jeans. He was driving a white vehicle, according to the official news release, which can be accessed here: http://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/press/display.asp?layout=1&Entry=1475

Officers checked the area immediately after the report and plan to increase patrols before, during and after school. Our district has also offered to work closely with IPD to assist its communication efforts.

Though no one was injured, this incident should further serve as a reminder to promote vigilance and to make sure every child is aware of the proper safety procedures. Specifically, IUSD and the Irvine Police Department advise that students know to take the following actions:

Stay alert and aware of your surroundings
If approached by a suspicious stranger, run away and immediately notify your parents or a trusted adult
If wearing headphones, look for approaching people or vehicles as you may not hear them
Whenever possible, walk with a partner or in a group
Stay away from remote and unfamiliar areas
Stay on the part of the walkway that is farthest away from shrubs, dark doorways and alleys where people can hide
Do not approach vehicles that may slow or stop ahead of you
If you see suspicious activity or persons, immediately leave the area and call 911
Always avoid substances that may make you vulnerable, such as drugs and alcohol

The safety and wellbeing of students remains the No. 1 priority at our school. Thank you, as always, for your efforts to help keep our neighborhoods secure.
First.... personally I think 6 years old is too young to be walking to/from school. I don't know if a parent or older kid was around but it doesn't sound like it.

Second... my kids are not going to walk home until they can drive.  :(

A lot of six year old kids walk home IHO- I see them walk while talking on the phone. The six year old at home tells me they are to call mom as soon as they are out of the gate, and keep talking till they go home. (She wants an iPhone too, so that she can ask me where my car is in the line, but that's a different story- I haven't gone THAT paranoid just yet)

+1 to not walking home till they can drive. Even when they start driving, I am sure I will be following them for a few days just to see who they are doing. My dad did that, it was so annoying. He would start the list of things I was supposed to do but didn't do as soon as I can home. But then may be we do need such parents.. considering the Northwood High Student's accident that killed a couple.

Back