How much does it cost to go to the doctor

Loco_local

if you don't have insurance? no tests. Just ten minutes of their time to glance at you and say everything is fine?

Medical costs are all fucked up. My wife got her physical last year. The blood work went out to quest diagnostics, they managed to screw up the insurance billing and quest sent us a bill for $150 for the bloodwork. We called them then they got the insurance billing correctly and got a revised billing for $11. So with insurance I pay $11, without it I pay $150.

I read somewhere, perhaps here, that Japan has a law that a doctor can?t charge more to a cash patient than the amount it would collect from an insurance company for the same procedure. We should have that law here. People without insurance, who are probably those with the least money, get hosed paying a higher price than someone with insurance. Crazy

qwerty said:
Medical costs are all fucked up. My wife got her physical last year. The blood work went out to quest diagnostics, they managed to screw up the insurance billing and quest sent us a bill for $150 for the bloodwork. We called them then they got the insurance billing correctly and got a revised billing for $11. So with insurance I pay $11, without it I pay $150.

I read somewhere, perhaps here, that Japan has a law that a doctor can?t charge more to a cash patient than the amount it would collect from an insurance company for the same procedure. We should have that law here. People without insurance, who are probably those with the least money, get hosed paying a higher price than someone with insurance. Crazy

Uninsured would still have to pay $139 as I assume that's what the insurance paid and left you with the $11 balance of $150.

Doesn't Obamacare make sure no one is uninsured?

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

Uninsured would still have to pay $139 as I assume that's what the insurance paid and left you with the $11 balance of $150.

139 was the insurance discount. Not the amount the insurance company paid. $11 is what was left and we had to pay

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

139 was the insurance discount. Not the amount the insurance company paid. $11 is what was left and we had to pay

Wait so the insurance price was $11 and 100% paid by you?  That shouldnt surprise me.  Im used to seeing an appointment bill were the charge rate is $170, the insurance agreed rate is $85. 

I checked on an outpatient proedure last year.  The chargemaster rate was $30K, the cash discount was like $24k paid in advance and the insurance amount accepted as full payment was $5k

So let's be honest, the real rate is sub $5K and the rest is baloney posturing to comply  with Medicare/medicaid regulations and Insurance demands for 'discounts'.

I agree we need a law change that says medical providers need to publish a cash up front chargemaster and all other rates (insurance, medicare, medicaid) are above or equal to that.  In addition, facilities hosting the treatment must provide 'all in' expenses for a procedure and no more baloney around here's the facility bill, the doctor you had do the work bill and the anesthesiologist bill.

@ NSR yes.  Quest billed 150. The insurance discount was 139. The 11 was paid by us since my wife hadn?t met her $500 deductible.

With my bloodwork for physicals the pricing/discount is the same. Bloodwork is the most discounted service I e seen. The pediatricians have the best collection rate I have seen

Back