How low can we go? 30 yr fixed at 3.75% with no fees...

Thanks Panda, I suppose you are not using Provident then correct. Seem like this is the industry standard when getting a home loan nowaday. One thing that Provident did mentioned is that the loan will be sold to FannieMae so this is required from them. Everything is double check by each institution. Another thing is when I refi with Navy Fed Credit Union, I did not have to sign this documents. Navy Fed does not resale the loan to Fannie they own the life of the loan on their book.

Another point that the loan processing officer from Provident added is that Fannie Mae underwriting system is going thru a change and that will take effect Feb 9. This change will have a higher cost and the lender/broker will pass this on to the consumer as result in a slightly higher rate going forward?

SIGP and USCTrojan is this true or anyone that is expert in the subject matter can chime in.

Panda said:
Irvinebullhousing,

I am going through a re-finance now and i had to sign it too.

irvinebullhousing said:
I have a rate quote from Provident for 15 years @ 3.25 with credit of $1900 toward closing cost, so out of pocket only 500 dollars. I thought that this is was a pretty good deal. When I locked in my rate my paper work then get forward to a loan officer. The usual paper requested. W2 for two years, 1 month worth of pay stubs and banking and investment portfolios are requested. I have been refi before and this is my 6 times. This time Provident requested form Signed Tax Form 4506-T, Request for Copy of Transcript of Tax Form. This will essentially allow the lender to pull your tax return for the last 3 years or more. Every deduction and lines items on your tax can be view by an unknown and uncontrollable numbers of people.

I felt really uncomfortable with this. None of my previous refi in the past has ever ask for this type of document before. And my last refi was 15 months ago.

Does anyone here when refi have to sign and agree to form 4506-T with Provident or other lenders.

Please respond if you refi recently.

Thanks

The 4506-T depends on the loan's investor. Fannie, Freddie, Ginnie (VA/FHA), and even some private portfolio lenders will require the 4506-T to be executed. Some credit unions don't have it signed, but many CU's sell their loans to the Agencies. It's hit or miss.

Fannie isn't changing DU until March 17th, when the HARP Refinance V. 2.0 rolls out. This Loan Officer is likely talking about when Provident is going to be hitting customers with the higher Fannie / Freddie Guarantee fees mandated by Congress when they extended the payroll tax cut.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
The 4506-T depends on the loan's investor. Fannie, Freddie, Ginnie (VA/FHA), and even some private portfolio lenders will require the 4506-T to be executed. Some credit unions don't have it signed, but many CU's sell their loans to the Agencies. It's hit or miss.

Fannie isn't changing DU until March 17th, when the HARP Refinance V. 2.0 rolls out. This Loan Officer is likely talking about when Provident is going to be hitting customers with the higher Fannie / Freddie Guarantee fees mandated by Congress when they extended the payroll tax cut.

My .02c

So give with one hand and take away with the other huh?  Nice tax hike for the middle class/homebuyer...

for new home constructions, any lenders other than Wells Fargo/BoA that can be used? don't want to be ripped off by these TBTF banks

TSW said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
TSW said:
I recently worked with Provident on my condo in Woodbury East and the experience was mixed.  Their offer is above average.  The process is streamlined and the agent is responsive (although less motivated but I have no problem with that considering they are low cost).

But finally it did not go through becasue of some odd fineprints.  Basically, they require the condo project to be 100% built out and the HOA passed control to home owners.  That says, if you are in those new IVC communities like Woodbury, Woodbury East, etc., you don't have to waste time with Provident.

I am looking for another loan agent.  Would be great if you have any recommendations.
One of my buyers ran into the same issue trying to refi his Woodbury condo built by The New Home Company going with Amerisave.  So it's not a lender specific thing.

Is there anybody in WB/WBE got approved for refinancing recently?  If so, who is the lender?

You can but here's how it goes down:

Buyer - nice home, I'll take it.  ;D

Seller - OK. Here's the $500,000 price PLUS $4,000 for your design center IF you use our in house lender.  ;)

IHL - Hi Mr. and Ms. Buyer. Today's rate is 4.750 for 1.0 point  ???  :-X

Buyer - AYE CARAMBA! Not only are the design center prices redonkulous, but your rate is terrible. I'm calling someone else.  :mad:

Other Lender - Hi Mr. and Ms. Buyer. Today's rate is 4.250 for -0- points.  ;D

Buyer - I'll tell the IHL about the great deal I'm getting.  :)

IHL - About that earlier quote of ours. Now we're at 4.25%, but I can't match the -0- points. You're getting a $4,000 design center credit which is like getting a 1.0 point credit, isnt' it?  :-X

Seller - You're going to use an outside lender? They don't close on time. We don't know if they're any good, you'll have to sign all these waivers, and if you use them we'll yank your $4,000 credit in the design center.  ;)

The long and the short of it is this: Yes, you can use another lender. You may have to give up some concessions, most of which were phantom to begin with. Every purchase contract, just like every home that a builder builds, is going to be a bit different than the scenario above, but I'm sure this dialogue will sound pretty familiar with anyone whose purchased new construction recently. In the end, you will likely get a better loan, but the margin between the builders deal and what you can get on the outside once all of the bells and whistles are added up isn't that huge of a difference.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

You can but here's how it goes down:

Buyer - nice home, I'll take it.  ;D

Seller - OK. Here's the $500,000 price PLUS $4,000 for your design center IF you use our in house lender.  ;)

IHL - Hi Mr. and Ms. Buyer. Today's rate is 4.750 for 1.0 point  ???  :-X

Buyer - AYE CARAMBA! Not only are the design center prices redonkulous, but your rate is terrible. I'm calling someone else.  :mad:

Other Lender - Hi Mr. and Ms. Buyer. Today's rate is 4.250 for -0- points.  ;D

Buyer - I'll tell the IHL about the great deal I'm getting.  :)

IHL - About that earlier quote of ours. Now we're at 4.25%, but I can't match the -0- points. You're getting a $4,000 design center credit which is like getting a 1.0 point credit, isnt' it?  :-X

Seller - You're going to use an outside lender? They don't close on time. We don't know if they're any good, you'll have to sign all these waivers, and if you use them we'll yank your $4,000 credit in the design center.  ;)

The long and the short of it is this: Yes, you can use another lender. You may have to give up some concessions, most of which were phantom to begin with. Every purchase contract, just like every home that a builder builds, is going to be a bit different than the scenario above, but I'm sure this dialogue will sound pretty familiar with anyone whose purchased new construction recently. In the end, you will likely get a better loan, but the margin between the builders deal and what you can get on the outside once all of the bells and whistles are added up isn't that huge of a difference.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

For a second there, I thought you were talking about my cluster of a situation with BofA...ugh!

Ask USCTrojan or anyone else who bought  new construction  lately. It's the same narrative no matter the builder.

Ask USCTrojan or anyone else who bought  new construction  lately. It's the same narrative no matter the builder.
You nailed it just about word for word....the phrase "after talking to my manager" it optional as it sometimes gets thrown in before "now we're at....."

So one of the brokers I've been working on refi quotes with just used the "hurry before rates go up" thing on me.

He thinks rates will be 6% by end of year... I can't see that happening considering what the Fed said they wanted to do until 2014.

What do you guys think?

irvinehomeowner said:
So one of the brokers I've been working on refi quotes with just used the "hurry before rates go up" thing on me.

He thinks rates will be 6% by end of year... I can't see that happening considering what the Fed said they wanted to do until 2014.

What do you guys think?
Just remember who is telling you that rates are going to 6% by the end of the year, if he has a financial incentive to spin it then you he is trying to push you to refi NOW.  You should have asked him what his justification was for rates going up 2% in 10 months is.  I would argue that real estate prices will take a big hit if rates go up that high, that fast.  It sounds very familiar to BUY NO OR BE PRICED OUT FOREVER.  Sounds like you should be working with someone else.

Sorry... I phrased that wrong... I should have wrote "What do you guys think of that?"... as in -- I couldn't believe he pulled that on me.

During an election year... I don't think rising interest rates is what the Prez wants anyways... I just thought it was funny that he said that.

irvinehomeowner said:
Sorry... I phrased that wrong... I should have wrote "What do you guys think of that?"... as in -- I couldn't believe he pulled that on me.

During an election year... I don't think rising interest rates is what the Prez wants anyways... I just thought it was funny that he said that.
Not surprised here, there's a lot of mortgards out there too.  You should bet him that rates won't go even past 5% this year.

IHO - just curious, lets say you just saw a house in irvine you loved and for 700K and submitted a full price offer and rates went up 2% before you could lock your rate. What would you do? Just play along, i know that scenario is unlikely.

qwerty said:
IHO - just curious, lets say you just saw a house in irvine you loved and for 700K and submitted a full price offer and rates went up 2% before you could lock your rate. What would you do? Just play along, i know that scenario is unlikely.
It depends... I actually think because we keep lowering our buy price range... we may still be able to afford a 2% rate increase (need to crunch the numbers for sure).

If it's not affordable... we get out. Disclaimer: The Mrs. may have a different answer altogether... depending on how much "love" we are talking here ("Hey dear... I... uh...  found more money in my rainy day shopping fund").

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
It depends... I actually think because we keep lowering our buy price range... we may still be able to afford a 2% rate increase (need to crunch the numbers for sure).

If it's not affordable... we get out. Disclaimer: The Mrs. may have a different answer altogether... depending on how much "love" we are talking here ("Hey dear... I... uh...  found more money in my rainy day shopping fund").

havent crunched the numbers but a 2% increase on a 700K purchase would add about 600-700 month. you would be a better man than i am for sticking with it.

Not necessarily a better man... if the buy price was at the top of our range... we would have to walk because the lender wouldn't qualify us... heh.

It's not like the bubble days where the bank would massage the ratios for you.

1) Mortgage rates rise during election years just as often as they stay the same or decline. Elections have zero impact on mortgage rates relative to market forces.

2) "Hurry up...." puh-leez. As USCT said, mortgage rates would really have to go in the can to crest over 5%. With gas rising, so might inflation (bad for rates). $120 to fill up your tank each week will retard mortgage growth (good for rates), and Europe is still on fire (good for rates). Time, as the song goes, is on your side. Yes it is.

3) Gubmint intervention. With FHA MIP and MMI increasing on 4/1, this may decrease home sales in our area given the nature of buyers we're seeing out there. Fewer sales, might lead to price stability even with very limited inventory.... which in turn might mean more Gubmint intervention in housing.

It's going to be a wild ride in 2012, but higher rates and sales prices? Not from what my Magic 8 Ball is telling me.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People

irvinehomeowner said:

The current policy of a low, non-existent interest rate environment will continue.
Everything possible will be done between now and November to get the President re-elected.
A tremendous amount of dollars are being pumped into banks both here and in Europe (via swaps). 
Allowing the banks to clear the toxic waste from their balance sheets
It wouldn't surprise me to see rates drop even lower.

Back