How low can we go? 30 yr fixed at 3.75% with no fees...

akkord said:
Cares said:
FHFA Suspends Second Home, Investment Loan Limits

This should help improve rates for second and investment homes now. Many lenders didn't apply additional LLPAs already because their portfolio had room to absorb this type of loan mix.

So are you saying you have good rates for investment props, most likely I'd do a cash out too on the refi.

Cash out on investment properties get hit with pretty much all the rate adjustments so they are high. We can talk if you're interested to see what rates I can offer you though. Send me a PM.

Cares said:
Cash out on investment properties get hit with pretty much all the rate adjustments so they are high. We can talk if you're interested to see what rates I can offer you though. Send me a PM.

Can you give us a ballpark figure?

test said:
Cares said:

Can you give us a ballpark figure?

It's not possible to as the range is pretty wide on cash out investment properties. You can get hit anywhere between 3-6 points.

Cash out investment Loan Level Price Adjustment (LLPA) hits aren't as terrible when using a Non-Conforming fixed rate product compared to a Conforming or High Balance Conforming.

Assuming a 70% LTV transaction, Standard Conforming price hits are +2.125 for Non-Owner, .625 for cash out, .25 for LTV to 70% - 3 points total to price - pushing a 3.x rate handle into the mid to upper 3's to reduce the point cost.

The High Balance Conforming LLPA's add 1.0 point to the 3.0 already being charged. This makes it very difficult to structure a zero point rate that is reasonable.

A $1.00 over Standard Conforming jumbo cash out has an LLPA between .875 and 1.25%, however Non-Conforming rules sometimes prevent the self employed or multiple rental property owners refinance due to risk perception. At least you can still get a cash out refinance at a decent rate using something other than a High Balance Conforming loan.

My .02c

A question. While we have such appreciated high prices for our homes at the moment, would it make sense to do cash out refi? If we can do so while keeping the same or close rate (or even lower?), then why not? I know it reduces the principal amount if we sell the home, but if we're not planning to sell our homes right away and may be thinking of move up in 10 years or so, it might be a good option to enjoy this appreciation. If the home prices ever go down, we at least took the appreciated cash in our pocket. Thoughts?

Depends.

Are the capitals will be use to acquire assets producing income?

Will this offset the additional debts incurs?

Or is it for make me feel good?😀

I wouldn't.

Best to take out a low to -minus margin HELOC as available dry powder. Qualifying is easier, you don't disrupt your 1st TD's amortizing, and you aren't paying interest on money you really aren't using. I'd expect a 2-3 interest rate, but are you guaranteed a 4-7 return? The key word is in bold....

Mety said:
A question. While we have such appreciated high prices for our homes at the moment, would it make sense to do cash out refi? If we can do so while keeping the same or close rate (or even lower?), then why not? I know it reduces the principal amount if we sell the home, but if we're not planning to sell our homes right away and may be thinking of move up in 10 years or so, it might be a good option to enjoy this appreciation. If the home prices ever go down, we at least took the appreciated cash in our pocket. Thoughts?
cash out refi is not like selling shares to realize gains.  you're just borrowing money from the bank with your home equity as collateral. 

Soylent Green Is People said:
I wouldn't.

Best to take out a low to -minus margin HELOC as available dry powder. Qualifying is easier, you don't disrupt your 1st TD's amortizing, and you aren't paying interest on money you really aren't using. I'd expect a 2-3 interest rate, but are you guaranteed a 4-7 return? The key word is in bold....

I would follow SLGP here.

Soylent Green Is People said:
I wouldn't.

Like I mentioned before though, a HELOC can cause issues for future refinances unless it is closed or subordinated.

I have had clients who did a large cash out refi and then in 6 months refinanced the loan again to a lower non-cash out rate. Of course we were in a market that had rates decreasing unlike today.

Because of the large loan amount that I'm looking at I'll need to put 25-30% down for my purchase but then I'll just open up a HELOC back up to 80% LTV to have the access to capital.

Second home and High Balance loans are getting hefty LLPA adjustments for loans sold to FHFA after 4/1/2022.

Announcement:https://singlefamily.fanniemae.com/media/30326/display
Before and after LLPAs (page 3-4):https://singlefamily.fanniemae.com/media/9391/display

Second homes are getting anywhere from 1.125% to 3.875% point increase on loans. At the higher LTV levels this effectively will be the same as an investment property now.

High balance loans are getting between 0.25% to 0.75% point increase. A high-balance LLPA will not apply if any borrower on the loan is a first-time homebuyer and total qualifying income of all borrowers is less than or equal to 100% of the applicable area median income limit for the subject property?s location.

100% of area median income (AMI) in LA and OC counties are $86,100. So in order to avoid this rate hit you need to make less than this amount combined.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-06 005704.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-06 005704.png
    362.3 KB · Views: 62
This still won't provide any incentive for current homeowners to sell. If anything it would discourage any movement for 2nd and investment homes as they are currently "locked in" cheaply.

With the amount of occupancy fraud going on today, it's surprising that it's taking this long to reign in the second home market. The High Balance changes are on the one hand a mystery - who can qualify at median income???? Puh-leeez. This is a fig leaf for a covering reason more than anything else. My theory is that the Agencies want to push risk to the Banks or Non-QM lenders. If values fall, they will be the ones taking the hit, not FNMA/FHLMC.

As for investment property reform, if the Agencies AND the Banks were limited to 3 Non-Owner Occupied loans (4 total including Primary) purchase or refinance, significantly reduced tax breaks on investment property, and made it next to impossible for SFR REITS (https://seekingalpha.com/article/4411292-single-family-rental-reits-burbs-are-hot) and other corporate structures to profitably own rental SFR's, then and only then you'll see some re-balancing of housing stock. There are plenty of homes to buy - if they were put on the market, but landlords have no incentives to do so. If there was a 1 time capital gain exemption of real significance, my guess is that many rentals would sell. If they don't, and if prices were to decline, these kind of tax law changes might represent a missed opportunity for sellers to get out while they were ahead.

My .02c

Interest rates are headed back to early pandemic levels. 

Mortgage rates hit their highest point since May 2020
As 2022 kicked off, the 30-year mortgage rate average jumped to its highest level since May of 2020

The 30-year fixed rate came in at 3.22% for the weekly period ending Jan. 6, up 11 basis points from 3.11% seven days earlier, according to the Freddie Mac Primary Mortgage Market Survey. The latest rate is more than 50 basis points above the first-week average from 2021, when it dropped to a record low of 2.65%.
https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com/news/mortgage-rates-hit-their-highest-point-in-9-months

The problem is, this information is already outdated.  Rates have gone even higher since lenders were surveyed just last week.

I think there was a good portion of homeowners using 2nd home loans and short term rentals to skirt investment property occupancy. Whether or not this is significant I don't know but I know it was happening.

And yes rates were already at 52W highs during the end of 2021 and it's gone even higher. I think around 1% from the lowest for interest rate.

I'm not a very good economist but wouldn't higher interest rates further drive up rental prices? Since homes are less affordable for renters looking to buy then it drives more demand towards renting...

Back