How low can we go? 30 yr fixed at 3.75% with no fees...

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
Certainly with supply/demand and price elasticity and sensitivity, buyers will slow down. Prices will stabilize and come back down a bit.

The market needs to slow down, it's crazy right now. I'd have a few buyers that went to the sidelines not because rates have moved up but because they have gotten buyer fatigue by getting constantly outbid.

You know just this weekend my buyers put in a $1.2M offer for a $1.1M house thinking we would get a counter. Sellers accepted another offer without countering any offers. It's been quite ridiculous for buyers and honestly for myself I'm getting fatigued as well.

Yup, some sellers just accept the best offer without counters or only countering the top few buyers so I tell my buyers to bid their highest offer right from the start.

my broker said 1.875% 15 yr fixed jumbo conforming is available, but not free like the 2.375% refi he did for me at the beginning of the pandemic. Costs would greatly exceed the 36 mo payback.

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
Certainly with supply/demand and price elasticity and sensitivity, buyers will slow down. Prices will stabilize and come back down a bit.

The market needs to slow down, it's crazy right now. I'd have a few buyers that went to the sidelines not because rates have moved up but because they have gotten buyer fatigue by getting constantly outbid.

You know just this weekend my buyers put in a $1.2M offer for a $1.1M house thinking we would get a counter. Sellers accepted another offer without countering any offers. It's been quite ridiculous for buyers and honestly for myself I'm getting fatigued as well.

Trying to help a friend buy a place right now. We've been searching for about 6 weeks and have submitted 3 offers so far, all beat out. The last one was for a condo where they bid $51k over ask - and still lost out. Buyer fatigue is setting in for sure...waiting for one of the next convos to be, "you know, we'll take a break for a few months..." And I can't in good conscience tell them to waive the inspection and loan contingencies.

OCtoSV said:
my broker said 1.875% 15 yr fixed jumbo conforming is available, but not free like the 2.375% refi he did for me at the beginning of the pandemic. Costs would greatly exceed the 36 mo payback.

If you know that you'll keep the home longer term than it may be worth it, if not that pass.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:

Trying to help a friend buy a place right now. We've been searching for about 6 weeks and have submitted 3 offers so far, all beat out. The last one was for a condo where they bid $51k over ask - and still lost out. Buyer fatigue is setting in for sure...waiting for one of the next convos to be, "you know, we'll take a break for a few months..." And I can't in good conscience tell them to waive the inspection and loan contingencies.

Yup, I already have a few buyers go to the sidelines and wait until things are less crazy.  My buyer bid $77,000 over on this home last week and we came in second highest from a total of 12 offers...
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/12191-McCulla-Dr-92782/home/4759883

USCTrojanCPA said:
best_potsticker_in_town said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:

Yup, I already have a few buyers go to the sidelines and wait until things are less crazy.  My buyer bid $77,000 over on this home last week and we came in second highest from a total of 12 offers...
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/12191-McCulla-Dr-92782/home/4759883

We should start a thread for us agents to post our outrageous overbids and still didn't get an accepted offer. I have a $150k over asking on a Yorba Linda home and a $100k over asking on a Torrance home.

crazy how these overbids are losing to other offers. I noticed that none of you guys have mentioned waiving inspection and appraisal contingencies. It seems like Bay Area and Seattle requires you to do so in order for your offer to even be considered. In addition, you have to bid 100K+. OC seems reasonable compared to Bay Area and Seattle haha

sleepy5136 said:
crazy how these overbids are losing to other offers. I noticed that none of you guys have mentioned waiving inspection and appraisal contingencies. It seems like Bay Area and Seattle requires you to do so in order for your offer to even be considered. In addition, you have to bid 100K+. OC seems reasonable compared to Bay Area and Seattle haha

True.

Yea I have done several purchase loans lately for SF and they have been massive outbids in the tune of $200-300k and they waive ALL contingencies up front. Sellers provide an inspection report prior and you make an offer based on that report.

sleepy5136 said:

Waiving the inspection contingency is OK if it's a newer clean home, but waiving it doesn't mean that the buyer shouldn't do an inspection. It just means that they won't be able to submit a request for repairs either for repairs or credit in lieu of repairs. Waiving the loan contingency is a whole other thing and I would never allow any of my buyers to waive the loan contingency unless they can buy the home for cash if worst comes to worst.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Waiving the inspection contingency is OK if it's a newer clean home, but waiving it doesn't mean that the buyer shouldn't do an inspection. It just means that they won't be able to submit a request for repairs either for repairs or credit in lieu of repairs. Waiving the loan contingency is a whole other thing and I would never allow any of my buyers to waive the loan contingency unless they can buy the home for cash if worst comes to worst.
What are the potential consequences, realistically?

daedalus said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
What are the potential consequences, realistically?

Consequences of waiving your contingencies and not performing to the contract? Lose your EMD.

MBS 2.0 coupon is taking another day of pounding. Currently down 23 bps as of this morning and down about 130 bps since Thursday.

Some of my files with smaller loan balances are up 0.375% in interest rates. Most are 0.25% up in rate like I said would happen.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-19 090254.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-19 090254.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 63
It's -33 bps this morning now. Coupon rate at 101.63! This is 200 bps lower than a couple of months ago. I'm pretty sure we're not returning to the lowest of low interest rates.

luckily I locked in my rate in January for a home closing in April.. I've had some lenders telling me I didn't need to lock in that early lol.

Locked plenty of people before a 9:49 AM re-price for the worse.

Typically Fridays on a risk basis are terrible days to lock given what might (or might not...) happen over a weekend. Still, we are in a higher rate environment for the time being. Times change however and it's possible that we will still remain in and around the upper 2's low 3's for a considerable time ahead.

What's going to hurt is folks who were told they were locked, but now find out they weren't. I've run into this multiple times as refinance competition is heating up. Homeowner A is quoted 2.5 on Monday by me, but gets a 2.25 quote from Lender B on Tuesday. By Friday, I get the call "Um... do you still have that rate we talked about Monday?" Unfortunately now the answer is "No, Monday rates no longer exist on a Friday." Live and learn.

No. Sales and values won't collapse in a 3.5% - 3.75% rate market. For every well priced home under contract there were 10 offers behind them who did not get the home. If seller's lose a buyer for any number of reasons other than rate, another buyer is waiting in the wings to replace the original buyer.

The way to think of it, I personally rather buy cheap with a higher interest rate than high with a low interest rate. You can always refinance lower but you can never lower your purchase price.

We are -42 bps now. 101.53. We are going down down baby back to April/May-ish rates.

Back