How Long Will It Take To Build Out Columbus Square?

[quote author="acpme" date=1214286023][quote author="ocbuyer" date=1214284127]There are plenty of people out there that would not be so over the top when analyzing the risks involved with every title aspect of living there or anywhere else. </blockquote>

there are also people out there who aren't so over the top when analyzing whether they can make payments on a home. counting on the next buyer not doing their due diligence is like 2007 buyers hoping to flip to some greater fool that didn't realize prices were spiraling down. not exactly a good idea to rely on that.

besides, if there's anything we should be over the top in analyzing before purchasing i think a home is on the short list.</blockquote>

When I bought my first house in 2001 I thought the prices were ridiculous... if I had over analyzed back then and decided not to buy, I would never have made $400,000 on it in 2007. I don't think that analyzing the risks of buying, whether its determining if you can afford the house or if the market will dive etc., is a bad thing. Everyone should do their own due diligence and determine what their threshold for risk is and whether a certain neighborhood is good for them. Just because they don't agree with your perceived risks doesn't mean they are "idiots".

your $400k profit was based on irrational behavior by homebuyers that didn't understand their own ability to afford a home. but if you buy a home in VoC, suddenly you're betting that this same irrational public that's already scared off from housing will understand disclosures and EPA reports, instead of freaking out even further.

Not to mention if you put $400K down on a 1.1M house you are just barely positive equity today if you go to sell.

And the traffic sucks.

[quote author="ocbuyer" date=1214287859][quote author="acpme" date=1214286023][quote author="ocbuyer" date=1214284127]There are plenty of people out there that would not be so over the top when analyzing the risks involved with every title aspect of living there or anywhere else. </blockquote>

there are also people out there who aren't so over the top when analyzing whether they can make payments on a home. counting on the next buyer not doing their due diligence is like 2007 buyers hoping to flip to some greater fool that didn't realize prices were spiraling down. not exactly a good idea to rely on that.

besides, if there's anything we should be over the top in analyzing before purchasing i think a home is on the short list.</blockquote>

When I bought my first house in 2001 I thought the prices were ridiculous... if I had over analyzed back then and decided not to buy, I would never have made $400,000 on it in 2007. I don't think that analyzing the risks of buying, whether its determining if you can afford the house or if the market will dive etc., is a bad thing. Everyone should do their own due diligence and determine what their threshold for risk is and whether a certain neighborhood is good for them. Just because they don't agree with your perceived risks doesn't mean they are "idiots".</blockquote>

Don't feel to good about yourself. If you over analyzed and actually ran the numbers, you would have come out further ahead if you had invested in the stock market and rented. There shouldn't be any risk consideration when purchasing a home that you intend to live in as it shouldn't be an investment. It's should be a question of affordability and the price you put on a lifestyle. The idiots are the people that ran a risk analysis and determined that they should buy a home they couldn't afford to keep if the market turned south. Sound familiar to you?

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1214293547]Not to mention if you put $400K down on a 1.1M house you are just barely positive equity today if you go to sell.

And the traffic sucks.</blockquote>

I seriously don't get the traffic sucks part. If you think traffic on Redhill sucks, then it sucks for miles and miles. If you think traffic on Jamboree sucks, then it sucks from Newport Beach all the way through Irvine. Point is, both streets are heavily congested everywhere, not just by Columbus Square. On the other hand, where CS is actually located, there's almost no traffic - Edinger between Redhill and Jamboree. One of the thing I don't like about CS is its lack of traffic. I think it's too quiet there.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1214299355][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1214293547]Not to mention if you put $400K down on a 1.1M house you are just barely positive equity today if you go to sell.

I seriously don't get the traffic sucks part. If you think traffic on Redhill sucks, then it sucks for miles and miles. If you think traffic on Jamboree sucks, then it sucks from Newport Beach all the way through Irvine. Point is, both streets are heavily congested everywhere, not just by Columbus Square. On the other hand, where CS is actually located, there's almost no traffic - Edinger between Redhill and Jamboree. One of the thing I don't like about CS is its lack of traffic. I think it's too quiet there.</blockquote>

It is like A Mile Square Park. The size I think is 1mile x 1mile for the Tustin Base. When you are inside it is quiet and disconnected from the busy traffic. The residential core is far away enough that the noise would dissipate along the distance. With plane noise above and to the side I think it overpowers the traffic noise.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1214299355][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1214293547]Not to mention if you put $400K down on a 1.1M house you are just barely positive equity today if you go to sell.

I seriously don't get the traffic sucks part. If you think traffic on Redhill sucks, then it sucks for miles and miles. If you think traffic on Jamboree sucks, then it sucks from Newport Beach all the way through Irvine. Point is, both streets are heavily congested everywhere, not just by Columbus Square. On the other hand, where CS is actually located, there's almost no traffic - Edinger between Redhill and Jamboree. One of the thing I don't like about CS is its lack of traffic. I think it's too quiet there.</blockquote>

I've given up trying to get most of these comments. It cracks me up the closed mindedness of some. If they don't agree with you you are an idiot. If you try to make a point they put you down in any way they can or make up stuff. It's really too bad that a more productive discussion can't be had on this subject... it is certainly not worth my time.

I think the traffic sucks for miles and miles around this development. This development does nothing but make it worse.

I used to live in Chino Hills right at the end of Carbon Canyon. It took an hour to drive about a block and a half (most mornings). I have no desire to recreate this experence.

For once, HS and I are on the same page.

Heritage Elementary School

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-board-hills-2075524-orchard-sounds">http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-board-hills-2075524-orchard-sounds</a>

1 down, 2 to go.

[quote author="asianinvasian" date=1214961703]Heritage Elementary School

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-board-hills-2075524-orchard-sounds">http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-board-hills-2075524-orchard-sounds</a>

1 down, 2 to go.</blockquote>

Will the attendance boundaries for this school be strictly for the Columbus Square community, or will its boudaries extend to the surrounding neighborhoods as well?

Heritage Elementary School - Tustin USD

Type: Public School - Elementary School

Contract Value: none

Plan Availability Date: 10/20/2009

Bid Due Date: 11/12/2009

Anticipated Completion Date: none

How Long Will It Take To Build Out Columbus Square?

Guys, guys, guys... Can there be one CS thread that stays on topic? Please...

I first loved living there but started hating it more and more...

Shopping for food sucks and will forever even once the road to the district is open you are stuck with overpized whole foods

it's quiet, real quiet... When u walk at nite u won't see many people and a lot of dark windows... Considering there is only one pool, the pool is empty

parking sucks for some... I never had a problem

for me the reason to sell was because my commute was too long, the HOA and taxes were way high and I had some changes in my personal life...

As far as the build out time goes, I think it will be long... My bet would be 2015...?

flmgrip, i completely agree with your stated reasons. It was exciting to live here at first, but now, the appeal has died quickly. Time to find a tenant.

[quote author="Shooby" date=1258535587]flmgrip, i completely agree with your stated reasons. It was exciting to live here at first, but now, the appeal has died quickly. Time to find a tenant.</blockquote>
Really?

Tell us a story... I'd be interested to hear the pros and cons from someone who actually lives there.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1258552131][quote author="Shooby" date=1258535587]flmgrip, i completely agree with your stated reasons. It was exciting to live here at first, but now, the appeal has died quickly. Time to find a tenant.</blockquote>
Really?

Tell us a story... I'd be interested to hear the pros and cons from someone who actually lives there.</blockquote>

Flmgrip actually hit on alot of the points. The perks are is that obviously its a new community, close to the 55 fwy, district (somewhat).

The cons? Well, if you take a stroll at night after dinner, chances are you'll be one of maybe 3 families doing the same. If you walk by the bigger homes in Gables, well....I like to call it Ghost Town or Black Widow alley (if you look on the curb by the sandbags there is a black widow every 20 feet)

As the community builds out, the lack of community ammenities will become more apparent. There's only one pool which is starting to get crowded already in the summer months. They have community events that are more likely attended by neighboring non-residents than actual CS residents. HOA fees are going up even though more people are moving in. We have neighbors throwing their garbage in our trash cans, filling them up to the top the morning of trash day (What if i have more trash to throw out in the morning?) Parking is becoming a huge issue in Camden/Cambridge. Many neighbors do not use their two car garages for parking. The what was once black iron fences that surround Camden, are now light gray, and the stucco has 2 foot cracks in it, and not a peep from the association.

Would you like to know more? Hey, at least I get to go home to a place that I can call home every night. That is...when the train horn's not blaring at 11 pm.

This sounds like every other community!

Seriously, my friends in the Gables love it there.

1. Association dues went down

2. Parking is great

3. Neighbors are friendly (They even extended the invitation of putting trash into their cans if they needed space)

4. Ghost Town? or Party Town? They prefer the quiet with the occasional Train noise.

[quote author="Shooby" date=1258593522]

Flmgrip actually hit on alot of the points. The perks are is that obviously its a new community, close to the 55 fwy, district (somewhat).

The cons? Well, if you take a stroll at night after dinner, chances are you'll be one of maybe 3 families doing the same. If you walk by the bigger homes in Gables, well....I like to call it Ghost Town or Black Widow alley (if you look on the curb by the sandbags there is a black widow every 20 feet)

As the community builds out, the lack of community ammenities will become more apparent. There's only one pool which is starting to get crowded already in the summer months. They have community events that are more likely attended by neighboring non-residents than actual CS residents. HOA fees are going up even though more people are moving in. We have neighbors throwing their garbage in our trash cans, filling them up to the top the morning of trash day (What if i have more trash to throw out in the morning?) Parking is becoming a huge issue in Camden/Cambridge. Many neighbors do not use their two car garages for parking. The what was once black iron fences that surround Camden, are now light gray, and the stucco has 2 foot cracks in it, and not a peep from the association.

Would you like to know more? Hey, at least I get to go home to a place that I can call home every night. That is...when the train horn's not blaring at 11 pm.</blockquote>

[quote author="Shooby" date=1258593522][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1258552131][quote author="Shooby" date=1258535587]flmgrip, i completely agree with your stated reasons. It was exciting to live here at first, but now, the appeal has died quickly. Time to find a tenant.</blockquote>
Really?

Tell us a story... I'd be interested to hear the pros and cons from someone who actually lives there.</blockquote>

Would you like to know more? Hey, at least I get to go home to a place that I can call home every night. That is...when the train horn's not blaring at 11 pm.</blockquote>

wow shooby, you do not sound happy at all. at least the price has not fallen too badly. How are you coping with the mello roos and the higher HOA? How much is it now do you mind me asking? Thanks

Back