how long to to renovate parts of the masterbathroom?

qwerty

so when we purchased we had missed the cutoff to upgrade the bathrooms.  we have decided, well my wife has decided, that we are going to redo the bath, tub surround and two counter tops in the bathroom and replacing the current bath enclosure with a frameless enclosure.  each countertop is about 6 ft wide by 2 ft deep.  we are going to replace the two cultured marble countertops with quartz, also replacing the white tile tub surround with quartz and replacing the white shower tiles with quartz/peidrafina (something that is a slab to minimize grout lines). to me this seems that it should take about a 5 days. 1 day to demo and 4 days for the other stuff. one contractor she called this morning said it would take about 3 weeks.

just curious if anyone has done this type of remodel and how long it took? even if you have not done this type of remodel what would you say is a reasonable time to do this work?

also, for those of you that have slabs in the shower - is cleaning them a lot easier than tiles? im guessing so but just want to confirm.

thanks.

Man you spoil your wife. Who renovates a bathroom on a new home?

Back in the day, we had tile and lived with the dirty grout... we just covered it with a pinata and some carne asada.

irvinehomeowner said:
Man you spoil your wife. Who renovates a bathroom on a new home?

Back in the day, we had tile and lived with the dirty grout... we just covered it with a pinata and some carne asada.

that was good.  i dont want to renovate it, i dont even use that damn bathroom. what i want to renovate is the first floor flooring. we did 20x20 porcelain tile but are having a tough time keeping the grout clean. so we are probably going to replace the tile on the first floor with some old world provenza - getting an estimate from Venetian this week.

I'm in the same boat as you qwerty, except my master bath is going on 10+ years.  Looking to replace builder grade white tile counters, cabinets, original flooring tiles, either get rid of tub And expand into humongous shower or keep tub and convert to free standing?  As for the shower itself, not sure yet, maybe some natural stone product with a texture feel? I'm thinking general contractor?  Definitely need a plumber for this. 

How much are you budgeting?  I'm thinking at least $40-50k

ps9 said:
I'm in the same boat as you qwerty, except my master bath is going on 10+ years.  Looking to replace builder grade white tile counters, cabinets, original flooring tiles, either get rid of tub And expand into humongous shower or keep tub and convert to free standing?  As for the shower itself, not sure yet, maybe some natural stone product with a texture feel? I'm thinking general contractor?  Definitely need a plumber for this. 

we have the dark coffee/moca cabinets in our bathroom which we really like so we are keeping all of our cabinets and tile floor, i think ours is much less work than yours since we are just replacing countertops for the most part, even the tub surround is just around the top of the tub because the side of the tub is the same dark wood as our cabinets.  not sure how much it would cost, i was thinking 12-15K

3,000-4,000 for two countertops and top of tub surround
3,000 for frameless shower enclosure
6,000-8000 to redo shower

we are also thiking of getting rid of the tub and making a big ass shower, be we  do have a window above the tub, which we would have to close up. i dont think we will go this route though.

I have my kid bathroom's culture marble counter top replace with Caesarstone.  It took a week just for my contractor to locate the slab since some of the distributor don't have that particular color in stock.  Then it took another week and half to get the slab fabricated.  Since I'm keeping the existing sink, he also have to send the sink to the fabricator so they can cut the slab to match the sink's pattern.  So for a big job like your master bathroom, 3 week sound very good.

3 weeks sounds like a lot of time.

Funny when I had some of my bath counters replaced.. the guys brought the slab there and cut them to fit right in front of my house! 

lnc said:
I have my kid bathroom's culture marble counter top replace with Caesarstone.  It took a week just for my contractor to locate the slab since some of the distributor don't have that particular color in stock.  Then it took another week and half to get the slab fabricated.  Since I'm keeping the existing sink, he also have to send the sink to the fabricator so they can cut the slab to match the sink's pattern.  So for a big job like your master bathroom, 3 week sound very good.

i was thinking specifically of the demo/install once all the materials were ready.  but yeah with lead time to get the materials, etc i can see it the process taking a couple of weeks, three still seems long to me.

qwerty said:
ps9 said:

we have the dark coffee/moca cabinets in our bathroom which we really like so we are keeping all of our cabinets and tile floor, i think ours is much less work than yours since we are just replacing countertops for the most part, even the tub surround is just around the top of the tub because the side of the tub is the same dark wood as our cabinets.  not sure how much it would cost, i was thinking 12-15K

we are also thiking of getting rid of the tub and making a big ass shower, be we  do have a window above the tub, which we would have to close up. i dont think we will go this route though.

All that work for 15k? Is that with permits?

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
ps9 said:

All that work for 15k? Is that with permits?

i dont think we need permits for any of it, we are not changing the layout or moving any plumbing.  i dont know what the cost is, just estimating. i dont think its that much work. the countertops should be easy to remove (two of them at 6ft by 2ft), the tub surround should be easy, its just the top of the tub, the side of the tub is wood cabinet. homewyse told me the estimate for the two countertops would be 3,000.  the toughest part would be to remove the tile from the shower and install the quartz/piedrafina slabs, 6-8K for that part sounds reasonable

I've wondered about that permit question.

I doubt qwerchete would need them because it's just countertop replacements and if the sinks are undermount, there is no plumbing work (well, faucet stuff).

But how about when you replace the entire vanity? You're not moving the plumbing just replacing the cabinet and sink.

i still havent submitted my HOA plans. i told myself i would do it in april. i guess may it is.

Back