How far away from train track is good?

Kokomama

Hi! We are hopeful buyers and keep seeing homes which are close or somewhat close to the train tracks. Is there a distance that is “safely insulated” and not affected by the noise or vibration too much? Having the house’s back against the tracks is definitely no-no, but what about “some” distance away, like this one (https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...ssage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare). It’s about 0.1 miles from the tracks, with 7 homes in between. Would love to hear what people’s experiences have been with homes/condos of a similar distance away from the tracks, or what you think a safe distance should be.

Thanks!

Vibration from Train Tracks carries between 0.25 km to 0.5 km.

Pollution from freeways carries just under 1 mile. Noise from a freeway (or busy road like Jamboree) is about the same as a running old garbage disposal when next to it. It takes 0.5 Km for that sound level to fall to Dishwasher level.

If you don't want to feel and not hear the train much you should be North of Walnut Ave or South of Irvine Center Drive.

If I were to draw a direct line from my house (in LA County) to the railroad tracks, there are 5 houses in-between. However these SFR's are on 5,000 to 10,000 sq ft lots so the actual distance will differ from Irvine homes. I have dual pane windows, with the windows open I don't hear the train during daytime. At night I can sometimes hear a very faint train passage sound with my windows open.

Years ago when I went to eat at south Placentia (North OC), KB homes was building some condos or townhomes right next to the train tracks. I think this is one of them: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Placentia/283-E-Santa-Fe-Ct-92870/home/17471626

I went to the model home and noticed that they had triple pane windows. When the train went by I could hardly hear the train at all during daytime. No vibrations either. Evenings might differ. The railroad tracks are ~200 ft behind the house. Not recommending anyone to buy a home THAT close to the train tracks.

As for freeway pollution, please note that when they cite the "1 mile" figure it means 1 mile downwind. This is assuming the wind/breeze direction is fairly consistent.

Last edited:
If I were to draw a direct line from my house to the railroad tracks, there's 5 houses in-between. However these SFR's are on 5,000 to 10,000 sq ft lots so the actual distance will differ from Irvine homes. I have dual pane windows, but with the windows open I don't hear the train during daytime. At night I can sometimes hear a very faint train passage sound with my windows open.

Years ago when I went to eat at south Placentia, KB homes was building some condos or townhomes right next to the train tracks. I think this is one of them: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Placentia/283-E-Santa-Fe-Ct-92870/home/17471626

I went to the model home and noticed that they had triple pane windows. When the train went by I could hardly hear the train at all during daytime. No vibrations either. Evenings might differ. The railroad tracks are ~200 ft behind the house. Not recommending anyone to buy a home THAT close to the train tracks.

As for freeway pollution, please note that when they cite the "1 mile" figure it means 1 mile downwind. This is assuming the wind/breeze direction is fairly consistent.
Train track here is different than the one in Placentia. I used to to live 1/2 mile from Rose and Orangethorpe. Those freight trains were loud especially blowing the honk at every intersection. Irvine only has Amtrak so it’s not as bad.

Train track here is different than the one in Placentia. I used to to live 1/2 mile from Rose and Orangethorpe. Those freight trains were loud especially blowing the honk at every intersection. Irvine only has Amtrak so it’s not as bad.

Oh wow, I used to live by Rose Drive & Alta Vista, back when Hometown Buffet was still there.

Oh wow, I used to live by Rose Drive & Alta Vista, back when Hometown Buffet was still there.
Yup that’s where I grew up, Rose and Alta Vista next to golf course. Hometown Buffet was my favorite hang out place after Valencia HS football game on friday 😉.

My parents still have that house as one of their rentals there.

Yup that’s where I grew up, Rose and Alta Vista next to golf course. Hometown Buffet was my favorite hang out place after Valencia HS football game on Friday 😉.

My parents still have that house as one of their rentals there.

I have some strange karma links to the area. Way back in 1980s I lived in Anaheim, but they bused us to Kraemer Jr High where I attended 7th grade. We had 2 lunch shifts so if you had shift #2, all the good stuff was gone. Moved to Lakewood so didn't attend Valencia HS.

By 1990s I was living in Buena Park and going to college, did an education career exploration thing and taught 5th grade at Rose Drive elementary school.

By 2000's I was working at Capital Group in Brea and bought a condo in Altura (Alta Vista & Jefferson), sold it before the HOA fee ballooned to $340/month. It's pretty crazy considering the golf course homes next door only pay $67/month (https://www.redfin.com/CA/Placentia/988-Spyglass-Pl-92870/home/4218620). Your parents did well buying a home there.

My lunch places then was Hometown, Ise Sushi (they gave wood tokens for free lunch then), and Mexican place by Birch & Kraemer for soups. There was also a small Korean owned teriyaki place on Orangethrope (?) nearby that had good chicken.

If you don't want to feel and not hear the train much you should be North of Walnut Ave or South of Irvine Center Drive.
We lived south of Irvine Center Drive and could still hear the train.

Probably south of Barranca and north of Trabuco if you really don't want to hear it. :)

I live in Orangetree, next to Irvine Valley College, and leave my bedroom window open so I can hear the train ... I love hearing it pass by. To me it's soothing.

Back