How do you stay in shape?

KD_B_IHB

I usually do a little cardio and some strength training, but I want to step it up with a routine that'll also be fun. What do you guys do? :)

I got a physical trainer named PeterUK. Nearly puked on the first session, and lost 12lb in 8 weeks. Now, I ride 70 miles every weekend.

PS. Booyah! Outta the parents house!

I actually don't do anything to keep fit or exercise, I ride a Bike simply because I love to ride, the benefits, health-wise, are a coincidence...

I used to be a semi-pro Footballer (Soccer Player) and I only did that because I loved to play, I went to a Rugby School and hated that because I was always getting slaughtered.

I guess I developed good Legs through Soccer, the running up and down of Stadium steps was sheer misery during training but I think it paid off...it came to the point that I reached 40, knew where I should be on the Field but couldn't get there fast enough, I started to have problems with my Knees and Ankles, so that was that :down:

I started Cycling again back in '03, I hired a Coach and looking back, I owe Him so much, even though I hated Him most of the time he was my Hero, it didn't matter how fast I got I could never keep up with Him... :-S

I love to ride in fast Groups, it stretches me but more than that, I dearly love to help, encourage and watch those new to the sport, the greatest gift to me is to see them eventually pass me on a Climb or a sprint and see them smile from ear to ear, it's fantastic!!

One example, last year, I took an 18 year old Kid under my wing who had grown up with a muscular disease, the first challenge was to make him ride in a straight line, evntually he got faster, and indeed straighter, I saw Him on the Backbay a few weeks ago, he was with a Friend who looked wiped out "He's so fast, I can hardly keep up with Him" his Friend said. That was brilliant...

Sorry, I digress, I think the only way to go is to find something you really like doing and possibly a group of People or a Partner you like doing it with...yeah, I know, I know... 8-/

So what do you like doing? Running? Walking? Swimming? I guess that's the first step.....

Good for you Peter! I wish I had that kind of stamina. I used to play tennis in high school and college, but have fallen out of it since. I've thought about taking it up again, but I'm not as competitive as I used to be.

We bought bikes a couple summers ago and used them for about a month. We lived in a busier neighborhood back then, but the place we live now has an actual bike trail, so we're going to try doing that.

What I'd actually love to try is some kind of dance class, maybe partner dancing so that my husband and I could both go. Have any of you ever tried it? I think it'd be fun!

my friend took took ballroom dance courses at IVC. those classes would cost next to nothing compared to a private dance studio, especially if you're just trying out the hobby to see if it sticks.

I also enjoy cycling and going with others makes it fun. It's much easier to learn the routes, etiquette etc. if you have friends or a coach to help out. I actually detest my cycling coach, he's kind of a dinlow. Even so, he's taught me a lot and I've progressed quite a bit with his help. :)

Another plus for exercising with a group, is that you are more likely to stick with it.

Here's a calorie <a href="http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc">burn calculator</a>. Note, that it divides activities by the effort expended. You can look up leisure cycling or cycling at greater speeds. It even has calories burned for sex, divided up by...

[quote author="profette" date=1209599240]Here's a calorie <a href="http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc">burn calculator</a>. Note, that it divides activities by the effort expended. You can look up leisure cycling or cycling at greater speeds. It even has calories burned for sex, divided up by...</blockquote>

Did you look your category up? "Cycling at walking speeds"?

Well, about two years ago a friend of mine from Germany visited me, we both had roughly the same weight ~240lbs and he said, that none of us would ever be thin...

I thought about it and figured, that if I hold my weight with my current lifestyle, I just have to change a tiny bit and would loose weight and as there is a fitness center in the apartment complex I went there for some workout twice a week. That was two years ago, now I am about 180lbs, run ever second day 4 to 6 miles or bicycle 12 on a cardio machine (I usually get home from work too late to get on a real bike), do some weight lifting and on sundays I usually try to get really on the road, either running or bicycling.

I guess once you get used to doing some sport, you just cannot stop anymore... and it would be bad if I would, because I still drink too much beer and eat way too much.

If I think back, if the fitness center wouldn't have been in the apartment complex, I probably would not have started doing some sport... thanks IAC :D

basketball, running in peter's canyon and weights at 24 hour

I'd like to get a bike (one for both mountain biking and some streets), but at the moment I have no place to store one

i like to run. i'll usually run 4 miles around mile square park. i also like biking around irvine. i really need to try out the back bay though. i go swimming once or twice a week. and lastly i try to kayak at the back bay every saturday. my goal right now is to lose 3 pounds. once that's accomplished, i want to gain 10 new pounds of muscle mass. that would be ideal.

Back