How Do Stocks Distribute Money?

Failedagent_IHB

If publicly held companies do not pay substantial dividends, then when is the common stock holder supposed to get their investment back? So far, it seems like the public has bought the idea that you make your money in the stock market through price appreciation of the common stock. In the long run this makes no sense, because a company never has to distribute money to the investors. How can that work for the long term? I have never been able to wrap my mind around this.

[quote author="Failedagent" date=1236742680]If publicly held companies do not pay substantial dividends, then when is the common stock holder supposed to get their investment back? </blockquote>

They get their investment back through selling false hopes, otherwise known as covered calls. (I owe Blackvault such a big thank you.)

[quote author="Failedagent" date=1236742680]If publicly held companies do not pay substantial dividends, then when is the common stock holder supposed to get their investment back? So far, it seems like the public has bought the idea that you make your money in the stock market through price appreciation of the common stock. In the long run this makes no sense, because a company never has to distribute money to the investors. How can that work for the long term? I have never been able to wrap my mind around this.</blockquote>

You get your distribution through dividends. A company will give you X amount of dollars for each share you own. They are paid yearly, quarterly etc. depending on what the company set it at. I personally, could care less about the dividend. I'd rather the company use their cash and expand business and watch my shares appreciate. Some want the dividend. There is no right or wrong way, just your prefferance.

But you make money through appreciation, and it's not false hope. If I buy something for $5 and sell it for $10 a share I made money.

I think what you are failing to understand is that when you buy shares of a company you are buying pieces of a company. You are a partical owner of that company. If the company is successful the value will appreciate, the most common way to gauge that value is through stocks. If you buy a bad company with bad management, the stock will eventually go down, and so will your investment.

I hope that answers it for you.

To paint it a different way, if you owned 100 shares in a company that would never, ever pay a dividend, cost $1/share, made a constant $1/share net income, and had no debt, would you sell it?

The answer is it's a silly question, because a company like that could never exist as it would have been bought a long time ago for a huge premium.

The idea that our stock market valuation is based on companies that "earn money" but never actually give anybody any money still confuses me. Sooner or later somebody has to actually get hold of the "earned money". Constantly deferring the payment to the next generation common stock holder, presumably paying more for their shares than the previous generation, still does not allow anybody to actually spend the income earned by the company.

[quote author="Failedagent" date=1236816937]The idea that our stock market valuation is based on companies that "earn money" but never actually give anybody any money still confuses me. Sooner or later somebody has to actually get hold of the "earned money". Constantly deferring the payment to the next generation common stock holder, presumably paying more for their shares than the previous generation, still does not allow anybody to actually spend the income earned by the company.</blockquote>

Growth companies typically dont pay dividends since they use all their earned money to grow the business. Mature companies historically have paid dividends because they are mature and dont need all of their earned money to grow the business. So the growth companies dont give you the earned money, but invest it back in the company, which typically causes the share value to grow, so you get your money to spend when you sell the appreciated stock. Companies share values are reduced for the value of the dividend they pay. I guess you should not get hung up on thinking that all earnings must be paid out to shareholders.

[quote author="Failedagent" date=1236816937]The idea that our stock market valuation is based on companies that "earn money" but never actually give anybody any money still confuses me. Sooner or later somebody has to actually get hold of the "earned money". Constantly deferring the payment to the next generation common stock holder, presumably paying more for their shares than the previous generation, still does not allow anybody to actually spend the income earned by the company.</blockquote>

If company A opened today and they earned income of 10 dollars, and they distributed that income to you right away, how the living hell do you expect them to grow as a company?

When Cisco systems started as a company they weren't earning 7.5B in net income like they are now. If they distributed their earnings how would they grow? They key is for them to reinvest their earnings to grow the business. That is what I would want. Why would I want their earnings to go to you...or me....who has far less intelligence to invest their money than they do. If I could do a better job investing that money wouldnt I be the CEO of Cisco Systems?

If you invested about 1,000 in Cisco Sytems when they first started you would have $1.4M today. There is your income distribution.

I agree with Failed Agent. If a company makes a bunch of money but just pours all of it into growth....in my mind they didn't really make any money. They are selling a hope that after they pour a bunch of money into growth, that then they will make a bunch more money. And you should buy their stock based on the bunch of money they are going to make. Unfortunately it always seem to work out that before they end up making that bunch of money, something goes sideways - they over-expand, the market tanks, etc. So in reality, they never really made any money.

If they don't end up paying money out to investors, in my mind they never actually made any money. Pouring money that you make back into growth isn't making money, it is trying to set you up to make a bunch of money in the future.

[quote author="Joe33" date=1236822334][quote author="Failedagent" date=1236816937]The idea that our stock market valuation is based on companies that "earn money" but never actually give anybody any money still confuses me. Sooner or later somebody has to actually get hold of the "earned money". Constantly deferring the payment to the next generation common stock holder, presumably paying more for their shares than the previous generation, still does not allow anybody to actually spend the income earned by the company.</blockquote>

I agree with Failed Agent. If a company makes a bunch of money but just pours all of it into growth....in my mind they didn't really make any money. They are selling a hope that after they pour a bunch of money into growth, that then they will make a bunch more money. And you should buy their stock based on the bunch of money they are going to make. Unfortunately it always seem to work out that before they end up making that bunch of money, something goes sideways - they over-expand, the market tanks, etc. So in reality, they never really made any money.

If they don't end up paying money out to investors, in my mind they never actually made any money. Pouring money that you make back into growth isn't making money, it is trying to set you up to make a bunch of money in the future.</blockquote>

If you guys think the stock-market is a ponzi scheme, don't invest in it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you have to invest.

To put it in simple terms. I don't think I can break it down better than this, you'll have to ask someone else if you still don't get it.

You bought an orange for 1 dollar. You ate the orange and receped the benefits. This was your return for your 1 dollar investment.

I on the other hand took the orange and stuck it in the ground instead of consuming it. I watered it and grew a tree. Now I have 1,000 oranges and sold them to you and your sister and your mother and everybody else for 1 dollar each.

[quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1236822750][quote author="Joe33" date=1236822334][quote author="Failedagent" date=1236816937]The idea that our stock market valuation is based on companies that "earn money" but never actually give anybody any money still confuses me. Sooner or later somebody has to actually get hold of the "earned money". Constantly deferring the payment to the next generation common stock holder, presumably paying more for their shares than the previous generation, still does not allow anybody to actually spend the income earned by the company.</blockquote>

If they don't end up paying money out to investors, in my mind they never actually made any money. Pouring money that you make back into growth isn't making money, it is trying to set you up to make a bunch of money in the future.</blockquote>

If you guys think the stock-market is a ponzi scheme, don't invest in it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you have to invest.

To put it in simple terms. I don't think I can break it down better than this, you'll have to ask someone else if you still don't get it.

You bought an orange for 1 dollar. You ate the orange and receped the benefits. This was your return for your 1 dollar investment.

I on the other hand took the orange and stuck it in the ground instead of consuming it. I watered it and grew a tree. Now I have 1,000 oranges and sold them to you and your sister and your mother and everybody else for 1 dollar each.</blockquote>

I get it. And I don't necessarily appreciate the condescending nature of the comment.

Take your example 1 step further. You sell your 1000 oranges for $1 each. Instead of putting that money in your pocket, you then take that $1000 and plant 1000 trees. You harvest 10,000 oranges and you sell them for $1 each. You now take your $10,000 and plant 10,000 trees. Then a cold winter comes, freezes your entire harvest and kills of your 10,000 trees. You never put a single dollar in your pocket. In your example, you made $11,001. In my example, you didn't make any money.

This is what we are saying. Until you put the money in your pocket, you didn't really make any money.

Joe33 and failedagent - Just curious, with no condescension, what do you think is a good investment?

IMO, if one is investing long term in the stock market using a buy and hold strategy, one is counting on increased productivity and inflation. It may matter little whether the company pays dividends or not for the reasons mentioned in the posts above.

If one is trading stocks, one is counting on themselves being smarter than the next guy or being a better gambler than the next guy/gal.

[quote author="Joe33" date=1236825291][quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1236822750][quote author="Joe33" date=1236822334][quote author="Failedagent" date=1236816937]The idea that our stock market valuation is based on companies that "earn money" but never actually give anybody any money still confuses me. Sooner or later somebody has to actually get hold of the "earned money". Constantly deferring the payment to the next generation common stock holder, presumably paying more for their shares than the previous generation, still does not allow anybody to actually spend the income earned by the company.</blockquote>

I on the other hand took the orange and stuck it in the ground instead of consuming it. I watered it and grew a tree. Now I have 1,000 oranges and sold them to you and your sister and your mother and everybody else for 1 dollar each.</blockquote>

I get it. And I don't necessarily appreciate the condescending nature of the comment.

Take your example 1 step further. You sell your 1000 oranges for $1 each. Instead of putting that money in your pocket, you then take that $1000 and plant 1000 trees. You harvest 10,000 oranges and you sell them for $1 each. You now take your $10,000 and plant 10,000 trees. Then a cold winter comes, freezes your entire harvest and kills of your 10,000 trees. You never put a single dollar in your pocket. In your example, you made $11,001. In my example, you didn't make any money.

This is what we are saying. Until you put the money in your pocket, you didn't really make any money.</blockquote>

First my message wasn't meant as condescending. However, if that is how you saw it. Use the ignore button. Thats what its there for. Based on what I read, I had to make a decision on how much you got or not, so I posted accordingly. Don't be so sensitive.

Another thing to add. I don't HOPE as you guys put it that the company makes money. I do my research based on the information I have available and make my investments accordingly. I either KNOW and do, or DON'T know and don't do.

If you are the one buying something because you hope it goes up...well all I can say is thanks for the money! Keep doing what you are doing, because you're making me rich.

Nothing is forever. Know why you are investing and know what you are investing in. Don't just dump money in the 401K scheme and believe things always go up. To me, that is foolish. Research. Invest. Sell/Buy when you see fit. Nobody says there aren't risk associated with it. It is same as buying a home...you're passing the value to the next person, if the value goes down...they are the ones at loss.

I'm still confused though. Is that what you need answered? That if you buy something it won't always go up and has the chance of going down? I mean you don't have to wait for the company to hand out earnings. By selling stock at will, you are taking in their earnings. I mean, if the earnings rise the stock will go up, and YOU can decide on your own to collect the money by selling. It can't get any easier than that. When you own shares you own part of the earnings. If the earnings go down, guess what? you don't get as much, so your investment goes down. By you OWNING the shares, you have the right on the earnings...and consequently the right on their expenses as well. You own the company, or part of it. So yes, if things are going south, perhaps you should pull the investment out of it.

[quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1236828237][quote author="Joe33" date=1236825291][quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1236822750][quote author="Joe33" date=1236822334][quote author="Failedagent" date=1236816937]The idea that our stock market valuation is based on companies that "earn money" but never actually give anybody any money still confuses me. Sooner or later somebody has to actually get hold of the "earned money". Constantly deferring the payment to the next generation common stock holder, presumably paying more for their shares than the previous generation, still does not allow anybody to actually spend the income earned by the company.</blockquote>

This is what we are saying. Until you put the money in your pocket, you didn't really make any money.</blockquote>

First my message wasn't meant as condescending. However, if that is how you saw it. Use the ignore button. Thats what its there for. Based on what I read, I had to make a decision on how much you got or not, so I posted accordingly. Don't be so sensitive.

Another thing to add. I don't HOPE as you guys put it that the company makes money. I do my research based on the information I have available and make my investments accordingly. I either KNOW and do, or DON'T know and don't do.

If you are the one buying something because you hope it goes up...well all I can say is thanks for the money! Keep doing what you are doing, because you're making me rich.

Nothing is forever. Know why you are investing and know what you are investing in. Don't just dump money in the 401K scheme and believe things always go up. To me, that is foolish. Research. Invest. Sell/Buy when you see fit. Nobody says there aren't risk associated with it. It is same as buying a home...you're passing the value to the next person, if the value goes down...they are the ones at loss.

I'm still confused though. Is that what you need answered? That if you buy something it won't always go up and has the chance of going down? I mean you don't have to wait for the company to hand out earnings. By selling stock at will, you are taking in their earnings. I mean, if the earnings rise the stock will go up, and YOU can decide on your own to collect the money by selling. It can't get any easier than that. When you own shares you own part of the earnings. If the earnings go down, guess what? you don't get as much, so your investment goes down. By you OWNING the shares, you have the right on the earnings...and consequently the right on their expenses as well. You own the company, or part of it. So yes, if things are going south, perhaps you should pull the investment out of it.</blockquote>

I think the initial question has to do with the lifecycle of a typical company. With the typical pattern being startup, growth, mature, and decline. Typically dividend policy is heavily influenced by the stage in which a company is operating, as each stage has specific implications for cash needs. Without going into a dissertation on dividend policy, let it suffice that there are a number of other factors that influence the optimal dividend policy.

Getting back to the original question regarding stocks that do not pay a dividend, for a growing company the marginal return on retained earnings (read: cash that could be used to pay dividends but is not) is high, so they will pay little or no dividend. To value these companies, owners (stockholders) evaluate various measures of cash flows in relation to the reinvestment made into the business. Free Cash Flow to Equity (FCFE is one). This measurement reflects the earnings available, but not necessarily paid to equity holders as a result of operations. This number can be calculated as:

FCFE = Net Income - Net Capital Expenditure - Change in Net Working Capital + New Debt - Debt Repayment.

This is a pretty useful measure as the cost to maintain the business and grow are captured and removed in the Cap EX and Working Capital figures. Though, I would caution any investor to understand the driver of the number beyond this simplified presentation. For example companies could serially underinvest in Cap-Ex, therby degrading the long-term prospects, and would appear to have more attractive FCFE.

Dividends are valuable in that they provide a tangible measure to measure the worth of a stock (bird in the hand). And unlike, financial statements, dividends can't be faked. At some point, as a company moves from the growth to the mature phase of its lifecycle, the return on investment will fall. Ideally, these companies will then distribute earnings as dividends (though there are many examples of companies that continue to reinvest earnings in loser projects and destroying value). Beyond the FCFE model mentioned above, there are other valuation model that attempt to predict the future dividend payments to assign a value. Of course these methods are generally more speculative as they rely on a greater number of estimated variables.

[quote author="Failedagent" date=1236742680]If publicly held companies do not pay substantial dividends, then when is the common stock holder supposed to get their investment back? So far, it seems like the public has bought the idea that you make your money in the stock market through price appreciation of the common stock. In the long run this makes no sense, because a company never has to distribute money to the investors. How can that work for the long term? I have never been able to wrap my mind around this.</blockquote>

You get your money back when you sell the stock to someone else on the stock market.

Remember, you are not buying the stock from the company (except IPO) you are buying it from someone else. When you sell the stock, you are selling to someone else, not back to the company (except repurchase program). Hence the term stock trading. The company is not involved when you trade stock, only the brokers are.

In the 1930's publicly held companies acquired a bad reputation in the stock market. In order to get investors back in the game they started to emphasize dividends. "Hey give your money to us and we will give you back some every year". Companies such as General Motors only retained earnings with the explicit idea that you the investor would be getting even greater dividends in the near future if you allowed management to use these profits. Their annual statements explained just what they were going to use the money for, and when you could expect to see even larger dividends in the future. Sometime in the 1960's Xerox became the poster child for a new paradigm in investor expectations. No longer was anybody being promised greater dividends, they were promised "growth". The investor market shifted to emphasizing that most (or even all) earnings should be retained and reinvested for a greater return. By the 1990's companies that distributed dividends were considered obsolete and the market pounded CEO's who made any sacrifices to distribute dividends. I can distinctly remember reading many 1950's stock market investment guides where the word "growth" meant rising capital values based on rising dividend values. Your stock appreciated sort of like a bond that was supposed to keep paying more every year.

Now here is my point: most of the Fortune 500 has been betting that they NEVER have to give any common stock investor their profits. Until this mindset is removed the stock market price really is a Ponzi scheme, you can only win by trying to find some sucker willing to pay even more money for a zero percentage return on investment than you. Look at it another way, if a company PROMISED never to distribute any dividends, what could it be worth? In the end, I think far to many investors are getting suckered into waiting far to long to get actual payments in return for their investments. This tells me that we might be waiting a long time for the market to recover as most people now see how quickly capital can evaporate.

The best investment you can make is an investment in yourself. You are going to die anyway, what do you take with you?

[quote author="Failedagent" date=1236927763]In the 1930's publicly held companies acquired a bad reputation in the stock market. In order to get investors back in the game they started to emphasize dividends. "Hey give your money to us and we will give you back some every year". Companies such as General Motors only retained earnings with the explicit idea that you the investor would be getting even greater dividends in the near future if you allowed management to use these profits. Their annual statements explained just what they were going to use the money for, and when you could expect to see even larger dividends in the future. Sometime in the 1960's Xerox became the poster child for a new paradigm in investor expectations. No longer was anybody being promised greater dividends, they were promised "growth". The investor market shifted to emphasizing that most (or even all) earnings should be retained and reinvested for a greater return. By the 1990's companies that distributed dividends were considered obsolete and the market pounded CEO's who made any sacrifices to distribute dividends. I can distinctly remember reading many 1950's stock market investment guides where the word "growth" meant rising capital values based on rising dividend values. Your stock appreciated sort of like a bond that was supposed to keep paying more every year.

Now here is my point: most of the Fortune 500 has been betting that they NEVER have to give any common stock investor their profits. Until this mindset is removed the stock market price really is a Ponzi scheme, you can only win by trying to find some sucker willing to pay even more money for a zero percentage return on investment than you. Look at it another way, if a company PROMISED never to distribute any dividends, what could it be worth? In the end, I think far to many investors are getting suckered into waiting far to long to get actual payments in return for their investments. This tells me that we might be waiting a long time for the market to recover as most people now see how quickly capital can evaporate.

The best investment you can make is an investment in yourself. You are going to die anyway, what do you take with you?</blockquote>

Why are you trying to convince others? Personally I think the stock market is a casino for most and most will lose money, but I do not understand your passion.

[quote author="awgee" date=1236928195][quote author="Failedagent" date=1236927763]In the 1930's publicly held companies acquired a bad reputation in the stock market. In order to get investors back in the game they started to emphasize dividends. "Hey give your money to us and we will give you back some every year". Companies such as General Motors only retained earnings with the explicit idea that you the investor would be getting even greater dividends in the near future if you allowed management to use these profits. Their annual statements explained just what they were going to use the money for, and when you could expect to see even larger dividends in the future. Sometime in the 1960's Xerox became the poster child for a new paradigm in investor expectations. No longer was anybody being promised greater dividends, they were promised "growth". The investor market shifted to emphasizing that most (or even all) earnings should be retained and reinvested for a greater return. By the 1990's companies that distributed dividends were considered obsolete and the market pounded CEO's who made any sacrifices to distribute dividends. I can distinctly remember reading many 1950's stock market investment guides where the word "growth" meant rising capital values based on rising dividend values. Your stock appreciated sort of like a bond that was supposed to keep paying more every year.

The best investment you can make is an investment in yourself. You are going to die anyway, what do you take with you?</blockquote>

Why are you trying to convince others? Personally I think the stock market is a casino for most and most will lose money, but I do not understand your passion.</blockquote>

I don't either. Almost reminds me of a troll. It's like you have a question, but I think you already know the answer. So you're confusing...

If he is trying to convince others...I'll be the last one standing. As far as market being a casino? BINGO! Except your odds are better...imo.

[quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1236930396]

Personally I think the stock market is a casino for most and most will lose money, ...

As far as market being a casino? BINGO! Except your odds are better...imo.</blockquote>

I said for casino for most, but not all. Some do much homework and have experience. And in my analogy of a casino, they are the house. I strive to be the house, just taking my cut from the players. I think for some, the odds in equities are awful. They sign up for some mutual fund when they could have done better with a spoo index fund. Or they trust a financial planner or stockbroker or ... to "invest" their savings or retirement savings.

I think that when all this mess shakes out in a few years, some dividend paying stocks will be a good long term play. It's funny, most folks just reinvest their dividends anyway, so what diff is it if the company pays the dividend or just invest the profits in the company?

I understand the question and I think it's valid. I once posed it to a CFP and couldn't get a satisfactory answer. If you buy stock in a company, you might own .00000001% of the company and a certificate to prove it. But without dividends, what good is a piece of paper?

Agent, you have to accept that a good company has value. It isn't based on faith or greater fools, except the faith in management to fulfill their fiduciary duties. If you start your own business, will you focus on growing it, or will you try to extract every $1 of profit as soon as it's made? It is a manger's duty to act in the best interest of the shareholder. A company has assets and liabilities and expected future profits. Money not paid out as dividends adds to the asset pile. Money that is paid out is reflected in the stock price, since every $1 paid out is $1 less value that the company has. Managers should reinvest profits to grow the business if they can. If you owned a small business wouldn't you do the same thing? Would you say your small business didn't have any value because it wasn't putting any money in your personal bank account? A dividend is an admission by management that they think the shareholder can do more with the money than they can. Utilities pay out most of their profits in dividends because they know they won't grow much. High-growth companies don't pay dividends because they have opportunities to put that money toward growing assets and profits and thus value. A company that promises they won't ever pay a dividend is promising to always have opportunites to grow....like trees to the sky. Not going to happen. Executives have incentives tied to performance and stock price to ensure their motivations are aligned with their shareholders'.

[quote author="awgee" date=1236934962][quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1236930396]

Personally I think the stock market is a casino for most and most will lose money, ...

As far as market being a casino? BINGO! Except your odds are better...imo.</blockquote>

most folks just reinvest their dividends anyway, so what diff is it if the company pays the dividend or just invest the profits in the company?</blockquote>

Answer: Taxes, assuming the corporate tax rate is lower than the rate applied to the dividends.

Back