How can I find out real sqft

y2000_IHB

Recently when I start compare house sqft number listed at redfin with Scott's floorplan number fromhttp://www.irvinerealtorsite.com(Thanks, Scott!), I see big difference.

For example, just today's list:

11 Butterfly Irvine, CA 92604 , redfin: 1707; base on floorplan: 1650

20 Rushingwind Irvine, CA 92614 , redfin: 1625; base on floorplan: 1494

5 Calico Irvine, CA 92614 , redfin : 1816; base on floorplan: 1782

Some is matched, but some you can see it is off over 100 sqft.

If only off under 50 sqft I can understand, but over 100?!

So is there any way I can find out the real number?

Thanks!

[quote author="y2000" date=1254311832]Recently when I start compare house sqft number listed at redfin with Scott's floorplan number fromhttp://www.irvinerealtorsite.com(Thanks, Scott!), I see big difference.

Thanks!</blockquote>

The appraiser will include a taped off measure of the home to confirm square footage.

Glad to hear that people are utilizing the floorplans site.

Good luck,

-IR2

I really thank for your effect to set that site up. (When will the September data upload? :)

When get appraiser, I think it is so late. Especially when it has 100 sqft off which will cost above $30K.

Thanks again.

[quote author="y2000" date=1254311832]Recently when I start compare house sqft number listed at redfin with Scott's floorplan number fromhttp://www.irvinerealtorsite.com(Thanks, Scott!), I see big difference.

Thanks!</blockquote>
You can always give the County a call and verify the square footage. On older properties, the property detail that realtors have access to will give you the assessor's square footage.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254312783][quote author="y2000" date=1254311832]Recently when I start compare house sqft number listed at redfin with Scott's floorplan number fromhttp://www.irvinerealtorsite.com(Thanks, Scott!), I see big difference.

Thanks!</blockquote>
You can always give the County a call and verify the square footage. On older properties, the property detail that realtors have access to will give you the assessor's square footage.</blockquote>

County Records is a poor source and very limited in its info, restricted to just the recorded square footage, which may or may not be accurate. The appraiser (you can make sure to request it) actually walks off the distances and physically measures the home. If there is a discrepancy between the recorded amount and his/her measured space, there will be further investigation as to whether unpermitted and/or unrecorded additions have been made.

It may seem "late" to find out about the square footage, but remember that the home is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. If that difference affects the buyer's perceived value on the home, the contract price can be renegotiated.

Thank you again,

-IR2

Floor plan from the architect is calculated to include the entire floor area from paint surface to paint surface. All interior walls inside is counted. Because some exterior walls are thicken for architectural effect such as recessed windows and doors only a 4" stud wall along the perimeter is counted. The rest of the void space is not counted. The stairs is counted only once and not counted for the second floor area. A fireplace protruded off the side of the home is not counted.

Appraisers are not trained properly and most who are in this profession were former mortgage and RE agents in their new career. They measured a home along the outside stucco surface and calculated all area within. Just the stucco alone that added another 3 inches to the overall stud framing. Sometimes the appraisers would measure just the ground floor and x2 for the 2 story home and forgot to take out the stairs and some volume space. This accounts for the bigger footage error.

The brochure footage is the most accurate and all future appraisal measurements will have too much human related errors and will always be greater than the stated brochure footage.

10 different appraisers measuring the same house will come up with 10 different square footage numbers. This isn't an indictment of appraisers, just the reality of what happens when you try to measure square footage by hand.

I especially like the listings that quote huge lots, but when you go see them, most of it is unusable land space or owned by the HOA.

Back