Housing Analysis

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
meccos12 said:
I think the point is that housing is slowing EVERYWHERE.  Oddly enough, it seems like cities that appreciated like crazy and were super hot are the ones that are actually slowing down more considerably than other cities that did not see such a hot growth. 

Is Irvine counted in this? Just wondering because as I've seen in the past, Irvine tends to be slower when it comes to price drops.

IHO for Irvine mayor!!

A little late for that. He should of ran 21 days ago. 11/6/18

eyephone said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
meccos12 said:
I think the point is that housing is slowing EVERYWHERE.  Oddly enough, it seems like cities that appreciated like crazy and were super hot are the ones that are actually slowing down more considerably than other cities that did not see such a hot growth. 

Is Irvine counted in this? Just wondering because as I've seen in the past, Irvine tends to be slower when it comes to price drops.

IHO for Irvine mayor!!

Unless he IS the mayor  :eek:

I?m kidding btw in case someone takes it seriously. 

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
meccos12 said:

IHO for Irvine mayor!!

Unless he IS the mayor  :eek:

I?m kidding btw in case someone takes it seriously. 

Your killing me Larry...

irvinehomeowner said:
meccos12 said:

Re-asking since you're asking me questions.

Man sounds like a buyers market. Let?s say I heard from someone that a builder is offering tons of incentives..

?CNBC article: Toll Brothers gives disappointing guidance; CEO blames media for housing slowdown

Yet, U.S. Census data show new home sales have declined for 11 straight months

In October, sales of newly built homes fell 12 percent from a year earlier, even though the median price for new homes dropped. Economists have said the decline in new home sales stems from weakened affordability across U.S. local markets. The housing market has begun showing signs of cracking this year, while real estate brokers are saying that offers for homes have thinned out.?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/04/tol...-of-housing-slowdown-for-slowing-housing.html

My comment:
Why blame the media for the housing slow down? Shouldn?t people be informed? Is it a bad thing for people to do their due dilegence?

If the demand is way lower for a product. How about lower the price of the product? (Very simple concept. Don?t need an advanced degree to figure that out or do you? *wink)

daedalus said:
It takes a special kind of special to barf out that kind of logic.

;)
Let?s say for fun. If you ran one of the top home builder company? Would you blame the media for the housing slowdown?

Would I blame the media for causing a slow down because they reported on it after said slow down had already started?  No.  If I ran a large company I would prefer that people not think I was an idiot. 

I wouldn't blame the media for reporting the facts but I hate some of the headlines that are just trying to grab attention and give an impression the housing market is totally tanking right now but it is not.

Housing market is indeed slowing down, shifting from a hot seller's market towards a more neutral market, but still not a national wide price decline, not a total buyer's market yet.

Will the housing market goes into a full downturn with a wide spread of price decline?  Maybe,  but we are not there yet and some of headlines read like it is already there.

lnc said:
I wouldn't blame the media for reporting the facts but I hate some of the headlines that are just trying to grab attention and give an impression the housing market is totally tanking right now but it is not.

Housing market is indeed slowing down, shifting from a hot seller's market towards a more neutral market, but still not a national wide price decline, not a total buyer's market yet.

Will the housing market goes into a full downturn with a wide spread of price decline?  Maybe,  but we are not there yet and some of headlines read like it is already there.

Sure but for the CEO of a major homebuilder to blame "headlines" for the downturn in housing sales is pretty reckless. 

Well , there is something to be said for the CEOs comments

If everyone believes in a recession , then surely we will create one ... but I have to say if we do get it , this will be the most well telegraphed and advertised recession in the history of recessions .

The interest rates are looking better and better. You guys think it'll affect the market? Are we recovering from the seasonality?

Mety said:
The interest rates are looking better and better. You guys think it'll affect the market? Are we recovering from the seasonality?

MBS rates went down a little today so rates slightly worsened. Still at lows for this quarter.

Wellsfargo rates today for conforming 30 year were 4.375.  Several months ago they were 5.125.  This .75% difference in rates is significant as it basically means that you can afford 8.5% more house at 4.375% compared to 5.125%.  USCtrojan commented that price gains from first half of the year were about 5% which was basically lost by the end of the year.  Doing the math, a person who bought a house in June of 2018 would have paid 13.5% more for the exact same house compared to buying that house today. 

Several people gave Eyephone crap for telling people to wait to purchase a house.  They said rates were climbing so any price declines would be washed out.  Some claimed there will be no price reductions, but rather price increases.  I realize hindsight is 20/20 but a 13.5% savings in 6 months seems worth it to me. 

This is what I posted in the ?markets ? thread over the weekend. Lower rates does not come as a surprise to me as I have been calling for people to ignore the gloom and doom about rates for the entire year now ? finally you have the ideal combo of Softer prices to go along with it ...

From Jan 4, 2018 ?-

?Fed speeches getting more dovish I will see what Powell says today

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this ? but just as smart people have locked in lower rates recently , if you are homebuyer for a primary residence ? you need to also be thinking ...

Think of this scenario ? fed turns dovish on rates ? trump calls ceasefire w Chiina ? pboc keeps cutting rates ? semi stocks stabilize ? s&p hits 15 percents from here ...

Not saying above happens but there is decent probability it does ? you will kick yourself for not having acted and being stuck in analysis paralysis when rates were low and you could have negotiated a great discounted deal for yourself?

Back