House used for growing marijuana

talkirvine said:
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows where to check if a house has been used for growing marijuana? Thanks.

Can you access/audit the electric bills for the property? That might offer a clue. Had a friend with a rental and when their tenant moved out they had to resolve an extremely large electric bill.  Turns out the tenant was using it as a grow house with lots of lights, other "farming" equipment driving up the bill. 

Thanks. It is a house that I want to buy, but notice several holes in the wall and ceilings. I suspect it has been used for growing marijuana, but the listing agent told me they discovered it in advance, and evicted the tenant before they started. So I want to find a way to verify what they say.

I'm not sure why you would care.  I have a friend who put an offer in on a house only to find out a previous owner viciously murdered his wife on the property.  Grisly.  Bad juju.  I get that.  But a grow house?  Meh. 

daedalus said:
I'm not sure why you would care.  I have a friend who put an offer in on a house only to find out a previous owner viciously murdered his wife on the property.  Grisly.  Bad juju.  I get that.  But a grow house?  Meh. 

Yeah, unless there are drugs between the walls or in the attic who cares.

USCTrojanCPA said:
daedalus said:

Webmd What Is Marijuana Reclaim and Is It Bad for You?https://inhalemd.com/blog/what-is-marijuana-reclaim-is-it-bad-for-you/

A. Any other modifications to the house? Check the kitchen - yo.
B. Hypothetical: Is it known as a drug house? Idk
C. A stash in the walls maybe? Someone knocks on your door or renter. Who are you? I use to live and I left something behind. jkjk

It could be nothing at all. Just think it as a remodel that someone did not finish.

eyephone said:

Webmd says don't smoke the black residue that builds up in pipes and bongs.  What does that have to do with living in a former grow house?

I don't "partake".  Never have.  But living in a former grow house isn't on the list of things that would cross a house off my list.

Side story:  The previous owner of my house used meth to help him produce at work (salesman).  He was very successful until he got addicted.  Over time he lost his job, his multiple homes, and his wife and kid, and destroyed the house bit by bit.  The crawlspace is even partially dug out and the neighbors say they're sure he was planning on putting a meth lab down there...maybe he stopped when he realized that all his digging had destroyed the foundation.  Maybe not.  I got a pretty good deal on the place.  Perfect setup for a handy guy with tools, time and know-how.  Anyway, a month or so after moving in, my wife and I were outside working on our new project when a ratted out blazer screeched to a stop on the street.  A burly and very stern-looking thug got out and demanded to know where the previous owner was.  I told him there was no one here by that name.  He asked if we were the new owners and I said yes.  He looked us over for a second, shook his head, and then huffed back into his ride and took off, tires squealing.  I'll always assume it was an associate who was owed some money.  Maybe that's a cautionary tale, but people in pot tend to be more chill than people in meth.

USCTrojanCPA said:

So the real question is - If there are drugs between the walls, does that increase or decrease the property value ?

Reminds me of the great scene in Arrested Development where the cast learn the real meaning behind the phrase "There's always money in the Banana Stand"

My .02c

Really? Are you guys serious about this? I think this is a serious issue that mandates disclosure when selling. Am I wrong?

talkirvine said:
Really? Are you guys serious about this? I think this is a serious issue that mandates disclosure when selling. Am I wrong?

https://www.car.org/-/media/CAR/Documents/Transaction-Center/PDF/QUICK-GUIDES/Quick-Guide--Marijuana-Cannabis-Issues-for-REALTORS.pdf?la=en&hash=DDF149824856BF53C3AF8CCE130A267C4FECF0E0

Large scale illegal grow operations are pretty hard to miss.  The plumbing, sewage and electrical are all visibly screwed. 

A hobbyist grower, really no different than a gardener.

talkirvine said:

Sounds like more than recreational. If they have to cut the ceiling/walls.
Wait for the foreclosures or short sales on the horizon. (maybe)
Extra $600 a week unemployment benefit set to expire.

talkirvine said:
What exactly is the concern?  Asking because I really have no idea what effect a pot operation has on a place.  Plumbing, ok.  Electrical, ok.  Sewage (why?).  Holes in the wall (why and how big?).  They sound like weekend restoration projects.

daedalus said:
talkirvine said:
What exactly is the concern?  Asking because I really have no idea what effect a pot operation has on a place.  Plumbing, ok.  Electrical, ok.  Sewage (why?).  Holes in the wall (why and how big?).  They sound like weekend restoration projects.

In larger size operations they pipe for watering and drain.  The drains are consolidated and bathroom facilities removed to handle drain operations. 

Back