House to Lot size ratio

vicstah_IHB

<p><a href="http://tinyurl.com/2c5elj">I saw this on homeseeker today</a>...</p>

<p>Aliso is not a bad area, and everything looks to be normal until I realized the 3163 sq ft house is built on a 3500 sq ft lot. Why would you want to do that?</p>

<p>Packed-in housing is pretty par for the course in Aliso, since much of the city is fairly new. In many neighborhoods it's virtually impossible to take a picture of the front of a house and not see the neighboring houses to either side.</p>

<p>BTW, the map with the listing looks a bit off to me - where it's pointing is actually Shea Homes' Vantis, the whole "soft urban flair" development. This place is down the street closer to the golf course.

</p>

this is the new track Shea is buidling with many lots over looking the golf course. I actually went to the model homes several weeks ago. The homes are nice, but you don't really have a yard.

Most of the homes in Aliso Viejo with 3000 sq ft of interior space sits on lots of at least 5000 to 5500 sq ft - similar to Irvine. Most of all them are in West Ridge area, behind gates. Three tracks were built by Shea homes ( Oakview, Silveroak, and Canyon View Estate), while one track was built by Richmond America ( Kensington). Many of the homes have a very nice view.

I can open a new thread on this but was curious. Does anyone have a formula for valuation of a home taking into account the lot size? Many times we look at cost per square foot of a home but the lot is considered a "premium" lot size or too small. Is there a weighted commonly used formula I can use to compare (for instance) a 3500 sq ft home with a 6000 sq foot lot to a 3000 sq ft home with a 10,000 sq foot lot. I am sure for some of you that do the heavy analysis on the board this is pretty easy. Thanks.

The trend in community planning lately has been toward smaller private use spaces (yards) in favor of larger public use spaces (parks). Woodbury is a classic example. The main reason for this is it achieves higher densities which make the developers more money.

There is no metric to value a larger private use space. Some people will pay a premium for it and some will not. It is like trying to value a neighborhood. How much is it worth to live in Oak Creek rather than El Camino Real? Yard and neighborhood premiums fluctuate over time as well. As yards become harder to find, their value will increase.

Back