House sales of San Marcos in Stonegate

Jackeyliu77

Hello,

Does anyone know how is the house sales of San Marcos in Stonegate?
San Marcos sales people told me that they were going to have phase 6 in the early of September but it seems they are slow selling phase 1-5 now (specially for the plan 1) and don't release phase 6 yet. I guess their sale is not good.

How do you guys like San Marcos? Is it worth to buy?

my feeling is the market is slowing across the board...  my neighbor is selling and thinks comps from 2010 when there was housing credits + thoughts the economy was improving are still good today. they are not.  I'm trying to sell and am thinking I'll be lucky to get $300/ft for my newer build Irvine condo.   

"worth to buy" is subjective, because it depends on your situation.    i have a growing family and i am looking to move soon, so if i find the right place then i could be "worth to buy".  im planning for the next to be the last.  if i can lock a nice 30yr fixed, and have a nice reasonable payment, ill be happy even if i'm not "buying at the bottom". 

if you want to play the market timing game, then the market is soft, and looks like it will be soft for some time to come.  I know a lot of people looking to buy (around same age with growing families), but out of 12 couples, only 2 have pulled the trigger.  One purchased a 2500sq ft home in La Palma for $550K, and the other an Eichler home up in the valley (he REALLY likes Eichlers), so he overpaid (knowingly) a bit for it.  Other than that, you have a lot of people waiting, waiting, waiting.    All of said people have between $150K-300K in down payment savings.    Most people are happy to rent right now.  People who think rents are increasing rapidly are smoking crack.  They are just lazy shoppers.  There are a lot of people who own town homes looking for good tenants.  My buddy rented the townhouse around the corner from me.  $2K for 3BR/3BA, 1500 sq ft.  I don't think that's bad at all (no HOA/ no taxes)...   

akim997 said:
my feeling is the market is slowing across the board...  my neighbor is selling and thinks comps from 2010 when there was housing credits + thoughts the economy was improving are still good today. they are not.  I'm trying to sell and am thinking I'll be lucky to get $300/ft for my newer build Irvine condo.   

"worth to buy" is subjective, because it depends on your situation.    i have a growing family and i am looking to move soon, so if i find the right place then i could be "worth to buy".  im planning for the next to be the last.  if i can lock a nice 30yr fixed, and have a nice reasonable payment, ill be happy even if i'm not "buying at the bottom". 

if you want to play the market timing game, then the market is soft, and looks like it will be soft for some time to come.  I know a lot of people looking to buy (around same age with growing families), but out of 12 couples, only 2 have pulled the trigger.  One purchased a 2500sq ft home in La Palma for $550K, and the other an Eichler home up in the valley (he REALLY likes Eichlers), so he overpaid (knowingly) a bit for it.  Other than that, you have a lot of people waiting, waiting, waiting.    All of said people have between $150K-300K in down payment savings.    Most people are happy to rent right now.  People who think rents are increasing rapidly are smoking crack.  They are just lazy shoppers.  There are a lot of people who own town homes looking for good tenants.  My buddy rented the townhouse around the corner from me.  $2K for 3BR/3BA, 1500 sq ft.  I don't think that's bad at all (no HOA/ no taxes)... 

Yeah, basically this.  The reasons to buy right now aren't because it is a good time to buy.  It is because you have a growing/shrinking family, are moving to a new area for a job, can't stand living with your parents anymore, stuff like that.  If you are looking at it simply from the money side, hell no don't buy.  And don't buy from iPac as they are going to sell at higher than anyone else.

Nous said:
akim997 said:

Yeah, basically this.  The reasons to buy right now aren't because it is a good time to buy.  It is because you have a growing/shrinking family, are moving to a new area for a job, can't stand living with your parents anymore, stuff like that.  If you are looking at it simply from the money side, hell no don't buy.  And don't buy from iPac as they are going to sell at higher than anyone else.
One more reason to buy if you are FCB and have a lot of $$$$$$$.

I really like the San Marcos floorplan, location and it fits within my budget. Obviously I wish it was bigger and had more of a front/back yard for the price.
Anyway, I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on putting one into escrow, however, I am wondering if I should wait to see a price drop/more perks offered.

Also, why do you guys on this forum, refer to these houses as "motorcourts". What does that mean?

I actually think San Marcos has the worst location in all the 5 new Stonegate neighborhoods. It is close to Sand Canyon which is a truck route (Garbage trucks included)

mmg said:
I really like the San Marcos floorplan, location and it fits within my budget. Obviously I wish it was bigger and had more of a front/back yard for the price.
Anyway, I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on putting one into escrow, however, I am wondering if I should wait to see a price drop/more perks offered.

Also, why do you guys on this forum, refer to these houses as "motorcourts". What does that mean?

If you love it and you aren't looking at it as an investment go ahead.  You can play the "waiting for the price to drop" game forever.  If you plan on being in the home for a good long time (say 10+ years), you "should" be fine.

The Motor Court Company said:
I actually think San Marcos has the worst location in all the 5 new Stonegate neighborhoods. It is close to Sand Canyon which is a truck route (Garbage trucks included)

That's why we kind of pass San Marcos. We were interested in Plan 3 but since the current phases are approaching Sand Canyon we don't bother to look at them.

However, I got the feeling that San Marcos might be one of the better selling new communities for TIC after checking out all the new sales offices in Irvine.

I need the room but at the same time I am not in a rush to move. I am willing to wait till the phases I want to move into open up. I dont really want to be near Sand Canyon. :)

mmg said:
I need the room but at the same time I am not in a rush to move. I am willing to wait till the phases I want to move into open up. I dont really want to be near Sand Canyon. :)

What attracts you to San Marcos?  The layouts are very standard for iPac so San Mateo or some of the LA homes might suit your fancy.  I think Capistrano still has some open, though they might not have anymore detached.  Either way, you might get a better price at Capo as they should be almost sold out.  LV is PS is good as it is a real SFR if you can deal with living by the 133.  I think there are new developments opening sometime soonish in Lake Forest (by the airbase) and in Santa Ana (by the Irvine boarder) if you want more options.

Reactions: mmg
Nous said:
mmg said:

What attracts you to San Marcos?  The layouts are very standard for iPac so San Mateo or some of the LA homes might suit your fancy.  I think Capistrano still has some open, though they might not have anymore detached.  Either way, you might get a better price at Capo as they should be almost sold out.  LV is PS is good as it is a real SFR if you can deal with living by the 133.  I think there are new developments opening sometime soonish in Lake Forest (by the airbase) and in Santa Ana (by the Irvine boarder) if you want more options.

Thanks. That is some good info. The main thing I like about San Marcos is that it has a good 4 bedroom layout in my price range (The Plan 2). I did look at the Capistrano, and the floor plan is essentially the same. Only problem is the plans remaining are all duplexes and I dont like how they are all right up against the 133. Sand Canyon + Irvine Blvd + 133 = Pollution + Traffic Noise. Plus, when I did the math, the price difference between the San Marcos and Capistrano doesn't justify the poorer location and duplex setup. Some of the difference is in the HOA (250 for capistrano, and 110 for San Marcos).

I do like the San Mateo as well, but I like the idea of the covered patio that is the california room. I also strongly prefer a fourth bedroom, even though it isn't strictly necessary. I might just go with the plan 3 san mateo. I might even go with a resale since I am watching those too.

Looks like they are up-ing the perks, just got an email from San Marcos :

We are excited to announce that San Marcos has 2 homes ready for ?Quick Move-in? that will include backyard landscaping with the home. 

mmg said:
Nous said:
mmg said:

Thanks. That is some good info. The main thing I like about San Marcos is that it has a good 4 bedroom layout in my price range (The Plan 2). I did look at the Capistrano, and the floor plan is essentially the same. Only problem is the plans remaining are all duplexes and I dont like how they are all right up against the 133. Sand Canyon + Irvine Blvd + 133 = Pollution + Traffic Noise. Plus, when I did the math, the price difference between the San Marcos and Capistrano doesn't justify the poorer location and duplex setup. Some of the difference is in the HOA (250 for capistrano, and 110 for San Marcos).

I do like the San Mateo as well, but I like the idea of the covered patio that is the california room. I also strongly prefer a fourth bedroom, even though it isn't strictly necessary. I might just go with the plan 3 san mateo. I might even go with a resale since I am watching those too.

Resale it is still going to be harder to find as good a "deal" than new in Irvine.  On the other hand, older used homes will have lower/no HOA/MR.

Something to look out for with the iPac homes, people claim that their flooring and cabinets can be pretty poor and the customer service is bad as well.  Avoid the upgrades (unless they are free) as it'll be a headache to get them fixed if something is wrong.

Reactions: mmg
Nous said:
mmg said:
Nous said:
mmg said:

Resale it is still going to be harder to find as good a "deal" than new in Irvine.  On the other hand, older used homes will have lower/no HOA/MR.

Something to look out for with the iPac homes, people claim that their flooring and cabinets can be pretty poor and the customer service is bad as well.  Avoid the upgrades (unless they are free) as it'll be a headache to get them fixed if something is wrong.

Thank you! I was on the fence on whether to get the upgrades. On the one hand, I cannot argue with the convenience, on the other hand I dont want to pay taxes on those upgrades each year. You just pushed me off the fence. :)

mmg said:
Nous said:
mmg said:
Nous said:
mmg said:

Thank you! I was on the fence on whether to get the upgrades. On the one hand, I cannot argue with the convenience, on the other hand I dont want to pay taxes on those upgrades each year. You just pushed me off the fence. :)

Glad to help.  ;)

Nous said:
mmg said:
Nous said:
mmg said:

i know i'm going to sound like i work for ipac, but for me i've had great experiences with ipac's service... they fixed a plumbing problem cause by what was done during the installation of the flooring by the contractors i hired... they replaced drawer doors that were dinged by i'm assuming the contractors too cause i didn't see it in the walk thru... all at no charge (and yes the service rep knew it wasn't their fault). 

the upgrades thru the design center are expensive that's why i didn't get them, but now i wish i did, my cousin in (woodbury not stonegate) went with ipac and his floors were done nice... (i'm not complaining about the materials i chose... i'm talking about quality of work and he got to move in on his expected time... but if there's one thing i learned about contractors, you can just hand them the keys and expect them to do nice work... next time i have any work done i'm taking time off to watch what they do)

I heard San Marcos is not building plan 2's any more; instead they replace it with plan 3x, which is slightly bigger than plan 3, with a downstairs bedroom and the entrance is at the same side as garage; however, 3x is priced cheaper than 3. Does any one have any color on this?

Back