Homeless camps coming to Irvine

nosuchreality said:
Let me think about this:

San Diego homeless encampment downtown, Hepatitis A outbreak.
Los Angeles homeless crowd, hepatitis A outbreak believe brought up from San Diego.
Orange County encampment, over 4000 needles, 10,000 plus stolen bikes, several tonnes of human feces, and numerous complaints of threats, crime and vandalism by the neighboring residential areas.

Pretty much sounds like a standing emergency situation if not addressed.

It's pretty simple, a group of humans without proper sanitation becomes an emergency situation in a hurry, particularly if that group tends to have other high risk issues like drug use.

Yes and to round them up in an enclosed camp should help.

Burn That Belly said:
Once that is that, build that ice rink, skate park, amphitheater, museum, archery, laser tag; build all that commercial money-making stuff they want. It will be one of Irvine's most largest money-generating commercial zone. This will be an attractant to all the homeless and will concentrate them there once they see the amount of traffic and money they can panhandle from.

Maybe we could hire the homeless to work as carnies in this amusement park?

8414334074_1bc48581f2_b.jpg

Liar Loan said:
Burn That Belly said:
Once that is that, build that ice rink, skate park, amphitheater, museum, archery, laser tag; build all that commercial money-making stuff they want. It will be one of Irvine's most largest money-generating commercial zone. This will be an attractant to all the homeless and will concentrate them there once they see the amount of traffic and money they can panhandle from.

Maybe we could hire the homeless to work as carnies in this amusement park?

8414334074_1bc48581f2_b.jpg

276tbi.jpg

Fivepoint finally made a statement:

As you may be aware, the Orange County Board of Supervisors voted last week to construct three temporary homeless shelters in Huntington Beach, Laguna Niguel and Irvine. The public response in each city has been overwhelmingly opposed to this proposal.

In Irvine, the Mayor and City Council have unanimously condemned the Supervisors? action and agreed to file a lawsuit to stop the temporary homeless shelter from being built on county-owned land south of the Orange County Great Park.

FivePoint has been working with the Irvine Council and the County to resolve this matter. The homeless issue has had an impact on many segments of our society, including families and children. It is complicated and it is not unique to Orange County. We hope that this current debate will act as a wake-up call for all stakeholders to finally come together to adopt a comprehensive plan to identify a permanent housing solution for those homeless who want help in securing shelter.

FivePoint is also hopeful that when the Supervisors meet tomorrow that they will agree with Irvine?s leadership and its residents that locating a temporary shelter next to the O.C. Great Park is the not the answer to this important countywide issue.

We will continue to work to help identify a lasting solution that benefits all residents in Irvine and the county.

Emile Haddad
Chairman and CEO, FivePoint

The solutions is - I don?t give a fuck what you do with these people as long as it?s not in my neighborhood. Glad there is no county land in Tustin :)

The only common theme from all the complainers on this site is that irvine is not the answer and all the proposed solutions are in cities outside of irvine.

qwerty said:
The solutions is - I don?t give a fuck what you do with these people as long as it?s not in my neighborhood. Glad there is no county land in Tustin :)

The only common theme from all the complainers on this site is that irvine is not the answer and all the proposed solutions are in cities outside of irvine.

Not fukku true. We want real solution, not band aid approach like these dumbass officials throwing around short sighted solution. They have been sitting on a lot of tax dollars for a long time and solve nothing for a very long time.

Just spitballing here, but why not a land swap between the County and whomever owns the old Traveland Site? Plenty of space. No schools/homes close to the site. Sorry... my mistake...too logical....

All this however is more heat than light. The homeless are going to the Fairview Center in Costa Mesa so the County can develop their GP site as intended. This is nothing more than the County proving they're the big dog in the yard, getting their way no matter who gets bitten.

qwerty said:

But of course. There?s even posts on next door instructing people on how to spin the language. This is a NIMBY issue first and foremost. Helping the homeless is secondary. 

qwerty said:

I'm surprised no one is proposing to expand the OC Rescue Mission. Then again, lots of homeless don't WANT to go to the Rescue Mission and won't fit into their program.

Ready2Downsize said:
qwerty said:

I'm surprised no one is proposing to expand the OC Rescue Mission. Then again, lots of homeless don't WANT to go to the Rescue Mission and won't fit into their program.

Why would they do that? 

You act like they actually want to try and solve something.  They don't.  It's like gun control, it's more about riling up their voters and driving donations and dollars to where they are greasing the skids.

nosuchreality said:
Ready2Downsize said:
qwerty said:

Why would they do that? 

You act like they actually want to try and solve something.  They don't.  It's like gun control, it's more about riling up their voters and driving donations and dollars to where they are greasing the skids.

If what you say is true: that proved that 1, they are a bunch of idiots and they are not fit to run any office let alone public office 2, money does NOT have to grease them, the litigation alone will drag this out forever or until their term end and the voters will remember the idiots and not bring them back. 3. meanwhile no helps for the homeless and society and citizen will continue to suffers.

The facts that they flip flop and rescinded their votes tell me that they don?t even know where their asses from their mouth. Whatever comes out first they go for it. And it looks like it comes out from their ass because it just non sense vote cast.

nosuchreality said:
Ready2Downsize said:
qwerty said:

Why would they do that? 

They are required to find somewhere. The motels were temporary. They can't actually dump them at the Rescue Mission because that is a private Christian program, but there is land there.

No one has said anything but I will bet Arte Moreno pushed to have the riverbed cleaned up before opening day. Lots of season holders park on Orangewood and walk to their unattended cars after the games which end around 10 PM for half the year. The homeless were hassling pedestrians walking back to their cars.

There are lot of people on the tent city who work in social services who are against this.  It is easy to say NIMBYism and there are definitely a few people who have some pretty horrible views and show no compassion.  This was done quickly without thought and the county gov is just moving the people around from riverbed to motels to tent city.  That isn't a solution.  Rebuilding the riverbed in Irvine or any city makes no sense. 

And people suggesting messaging is because you have crazy people who make everyone look bad.  Some dude posted that we should send all the homeless people to Afghanistan FFS. 

Burn That Belly said:
I know exactly how Compressed-Village is going to react when he encounters the tent folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUnZOvIJKOw

No, violent is not the answer. Neither is propaganda from you help. What we need is some forward thinking. The homeless did not just pop up recently. The tax dollars allocation specifically for homelessness services and housing is there and has been there. there are locations with roof and services to house these people existing in the OC county and BOS not utilize. Even a land swap deal suggested by SLGP makes sense.

The OC Supervisors are playing politics and not creating policies that they suppose to get elected to solve this issue long ago. That?s  who I am mad at.

Back