Homeless camps coming to Irvine

Cops had to shoot and kill a crazed drug addict at the HB sports complex last year.  The place was filled with hundreds of kids playing baseball and soccer when it happened.  There is no way the citizens of HB would stand by while hundreds of crazed drug addicts were moved in adjacent to their little league fields.

Police shoot, kill man at Huntington Beach sports park filled with children and parents
HUNTINGTON BEACH ? A man was shot and killed by police officers shortly before 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the bustling Huntington Beach Sports Complex in the 18000 block of Goldenwest Street ? filled with hundreds of children and parents, authorities said.

Huntington Beach Police Chief Robert Handy said a man in his 20s was running through the park and its various sports fields, chasing children. The man was later identified by the Orange County Coroner?s Office as Steven Schiltz, 29, of Huntington Beach.

Witnesses told police dispatchers that Schiltz was hitting trees with a bat-like object and chasing children with a broken bottle.

Handy said Schiltz ran from the batting cages to the fields where children as young as 10 were playing. Officers intercepted Schiltz near bleachers filled with people watching a soccer practice.

Two officers opened fire as Schiltz was approaching a large group of people. He was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
It's too bad Lion Country Safari is gone.  We could have dropped the homeless off there and had a Hunger Games-style tournament.  Last person not eaten by a lion wins!  It would keep the well-off locals entertained and also motivate the homeless to get off the streets and do something with their lives.  It would prove once and for all that OC is a leader in conservative politics.

Actually, let them camp in the upcoming wildlife corridor. It may help with the coyote problem.

#homelessgames

This is solid Republican thinking on your part, but the problem is if you feed the coyotes, their numbers will multiply.  Not only that, but eating the homeless could get them addicted to meth.  Once you get a coyote addicted to meth, they are going to start associating other humans with their meth fix and it's going to confuse them into attacking the more respectable citizens of Irvine looking for that fix.

Loco_local said:
Irvine already has tons of vacant FCB housing. They should round up the homeless and encourage them to squat in the new developments. That's what people were doing in Newport Coast after the banks took away people's houses and let them sit empty.

When is trump going to impose a tariff on foreign money buying up American houses?

What other countries are doing:

Canada:https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/bulletins/nrst/nrst-collected.htmlhttps://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/bulletins/nrst/

Australia:http://firb.gov.au/real-estate/

Malaysia:http://mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/benefits/home-and-personal-car/purchase-a-househttps://theedgeproperty.wordpress.c...-property-purchase-prices-for-foreign-buyers/

GP is significant larger with significantly more soccer fields and softball/baseball, Irvine PD will have their hands full. 

(Not so much about basketball since they only allocate about 4 hoops)

Liar Loan said:
Cops had to shoot and kill a crazed drug addict at the HB sports complex last year.  The place was filled with hundreds of kids playing baseball and soccer when it happened.  There is no way the citizens of HB would stand by while hundreds of crazed drug addicts were moved in adjacent to their little league fields.

Police shoot, kill man at Huntington Beach sports park filled with children and parents
HUNTINGTON BEACH ? A man was shot and killed by police officers shortly before 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the bustling Huntington Beach Sports Complex in the 18000 block of Goldenwest Street ? filled with hundreds of children and parents, authorities said.

Huntington Beach Police Chief Robert Handy said a man in his 20s was running through the park and its various sports fields, chasing children. The man was later identified by the Orange County Coroner?s Office as Steven Schiltz, 29, of Huntington Beach.

Witnesses told police dispatchers that Schiltz was hitting trees with a bat-like object and chasing children with a broken bottle.

Handy said Schiltz ran from the batting cages to the fields where children as young as 10 were playing. Officers intercepted Schiltz near bleachers filled with people watching a soccer practice.

Two officers opened fire as Schiltz was approaching a large group of people. He was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later.

AW said:

Clearly the GP developers are unfamiliar with how popular streetball is in Irvine. Or maybe they are and are trying to dissuade me and my ilk from showing up.

AW said:
GP is significant larger with significantly more soccer fields and softball/baseball, Irvine PD will have their hands full. 

Liar Loan said:

The HB Sports Complex is adjacent to the library and Central Park where many kids play and elderly walk their dogs.  There are lots of mature trees and landscaping that would conceal crazed druggies that wanted to commit assaults.  The total size of that area is one square mile with not many roads that would allow police to drive around easily and monitor things.

I?m not sure if it was communicated in the group, but the Chinese community is rallying at the civic center at 11 today. Media outlets have told me they will be there.

Soylent Green Is People said:
True Querty, but 1 foot outside the private streets they can. It's a "choke point" for lack of a better term. Inside the private streets can be ruled by off duty police or veterans. Pay well, and I'm sure you'll get the right folks.

If there isn't an easement allowing the County free and full access, all things are possible.

My .02c

Well then you have the legality of this ?stop and frisk? thing. I?m sure civil liberties people would jump all over this.  Doesn?t seem practical.

qwerty said:
True Querty, but 1 foot outside the private streets they can. It's a "choke point" for lack of a better term. Inside the private streets can be ruled by off duty police or veterans. Pay well, and I'm sure you'll get the right folks.

If there isn't an easement allowing the County free and full access, all things are possible.

My .02c

Well then you have the legality of this ?stop and frisk? thing. I?m sure civil liberties people would jump all over this.  Doesn?t seem practical.

That has never stopped IPD in the past.

Liar Loan said:
qwerty said:

My .02c

That has never stopped IPD in the past.

Well that is because those are one offs in random areas throughout irvine.

If they did this as the homeless are going ?home? some news station will gladly put it on tv and the outrage will begin about how the homeless are being treated and perhaps being dicriminated against. It?s just not a good look, the city is probably dumb enough to try it but would back down immediately once the shit storm commenced.

Tribune said:
Another note:

(Chinese)
https://www.weirvine.com/apply/weirvine-activity.shtml?act_id=125

FREE BUS INFORMATION
14 Buses are ready!
Destination: Hall of Administration, Board Hearing Room, First Floor, 333 W. Santa Ana Blvd., Santa Ana?
Location for departure: 980 roosevelt?irvine?CA?92620,
Departure Time:8:30am 3/27

Do the protestors realize that, for the past decade, there are a large number of homeless camped at the Hall of Administration (along the Walk of Honor in front of the main enterance).

This could get awkward and/or ugly really fast. Especially with media there.

There are joining in the public hearing at Civic Center now!

Started at 11AM.

Burn That Belly said:
Oh and I haven't heard any complaints at all from CVE folks on here or NextDoor.  Perhaps CVE folks have immunity because they are wearing the 
7f5QIrF.jpg
badge.

Attachments

• IMG_2710.JPG
    IMG_2710.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
A big part of making the OC homelessness problem visible was when the County of Orange began de-vagranting rehabbing the Hall of Administration/Santa Ana Library areas. The people camped out there had to move out. Many went to the riverbed. From the riverbed to the motels. Today, motels to... who knows where.

I'd have to visit that area often for work and am very familiar with conditions on the ground at that time. The Hall of Administration campsites were pretty brutal. Not as bad as DTLA, but still rough. I was amazed at how many children were there wandering around, as well as pet, not feral, dogs. Not sure why, but in my many visits to the are none of those camping there had a hand out, or a cup waiving for spare change. Odd relative to the homeless in other areas I encounter.

My .02c

The county should just sell the valuable 100 acres in Irvine, collect $100+ million ($20/ft, not crazy), buy some cheap ag land or convert an old park that nobody uses and house the homeless there.

Good point!

Kings said:
The county should just sell the valuable 100 acres in Irvine, collect $100+ million ($20/ft, not crazy), buy some cheap ag land or convert an old park that nobody uses and house the homeless there.

Back