Home security system

The same alarm system is less than $300, if you can't crack the master code. Switching one device for the same model is no brainer. Linking detectors to the new control unit is very easy and described on the control manual. Now, when you own the system, you can put as many detectors as you want (subject to the alarm system limitation, of course). With ADT, you will have to pay more for any upgrade. Like their $30/mo plan gives your 10 window.door detectors only (if I remember their plans correctly). Adding a fire detector, a glass break detector, a movement detector, key fobs, etc will easily get you over $50/mo

I purchased my alarm system through www.homesecuritystore.com. I believe ours is the Visonic Powermax+, which I purchased back in 2007 for btw $250 and $300. When we moved into our new home, we purchased and set up additional wireless transmitters for the doors and windows. We also get our monitoring through Alarm Relay, using their ARIM (I believe it stands for Alarm Relay Internet Module), since we do not have a home phone. We did have to pay extra for the ARIM, but we now pay under $150/year for alarm monitoring.

The downside to using the ARIM is that the internet service provider (in our case, Cox) releases your DHCP every 24-48 hours, which results in the ARIM losing its connection to the central monitoring system for a minute. Also, we've had one occasion where the internet went down in the middle of the night, which resulted in Alarm Relay waking me up at 1am to ensure that we were okay.

We would have opted for the celullar monitoring service; however, since our system is a bit older, the only cellular panel that was compatible w/ our panel would have cost another $160 for the unit + an additional $140 or so per year for monitoring (Alarm Relay charges more than the $8.95/mo. if you monitor via cellular).

Thinking about a security system now, one of our friends place got robbed over Thanksgiving, they weren't home, probably got scouted and robbed on turkey day.  If you think about it, big holidays with family gatherings make picking out homes easy.  Just pick the dark one.  No one will be home for at least 4 hours.

For a better peace of mind - get an alarm system. They will mostly go for the other house without an alarm system.

When people are at work, is the time they break in.

ps9 said:
Thinking about a security system now, one of our friends place got robbed over Thanksgiving, they weren't home, probably got scouted and robbed on turkey day.  If you think about it, big holidays with family gatherings make picking out homes easy.  Just pick the dark one.  No one will be home for at least 4 hours.

Which community did this take place in?

ps9 said:
Got some home security:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q3LEM8

I went with the shortest 26 inch for in home use.  Swinging circumference comes into play when in cramped in door defense situations.  Also it's manageable for my wife if she's on deck for cracking skulls.

A bat is good for hand to hand combat situations. However, if the robber has a gun and you have a bat, it's not an ideal situation to be in. Its more common for a break in when no one is home, than a home invasion robbery.

Got my home security consult done with Irvine PD today, here are some key points:

1)  do not leave 2nd story windows open/ajar, many burglars drive around with ladders these days, and your neighbor would think it's just another contractor fixing the house

2)  lights lights lights.  Especially front door, any side yards and back yard (motion lights)

3) Reinforcing sliding doors/windows:  low tech = a stick in the tracks, high tech = installing a custom dead bolt lock in the track, a good majority of break ins are thru the sliding door from the backyard. 

4) poor mans security alarm:  keep a spare car key fob next to you when you sleep.  Hit the panic button to set off the car alarm if you hear a noise downstairs in the middle of the night.  Yes not that loud but at least the burglars will hear it

5). Do not leave keys to the house outside (under door mats, rocks, etc). They will find it!

6). Gated communities are a false sense of security, so if you got a lock, use it!

7).  Speaking of locks, put one on the electric panel box outside.  He was surprised I already have one on there, not many people do.

8 ) Do not put in vacation holds with mail/newspaper.  Have neighbor or family member pick up mail/paper/door ads while you're gone. 

9). Leave radio on when out (talk radio).  My wife then said "just like Home Alone!"  Cracked me up :)

Yes a lot of this I already know, but good to review over and over again.  Also went over earthquake safety.  Make sure your family members know how to turn off the main gas line.  I zip tied a gas wrench to the meter already, find at HD/lowes.  Also show main water line to family members so everyone can shut off water if need to.  Kitchen is probably worse place to be during earthquake, use cabinet locks to prevent getting stabbed by a wine goblet during the big one. 

ps9 said:
7).  Speaking of locks, put one on the electric panel box outside.  He was surprised I already have one on there, not many people do.

Did Irvine PD recommend lock the electric panel box? 

I'm interested in locking the electric panel too but wonder if there's a city safety code, HOA, or fire department regulation prohibited it. 

It can be dangerous to lock the electric panel box since a locked electric panel box can potentially delay the time it required to turn off the power in case of emergencies. http://activerain.com/blogsview/315159/dangerous-situation-locked-electrical-panels

"All electric panels must have free and unrestricted access at all times! Your property, life or that of a loved one could be at risk."

"If you feel you must lock your panel follow these simple guidelines:
Use a high grade brass lock instead of a cheap steel one. Good brass locks are not as likely to seize or rust in the locked position.
Periodically open and close the lock several times a year. This will ensure that it will operate properly.
Keep the key in a readily accessible location by an entry door. In an emergency, seconds count!
Keep access to the panel clear and unrestricted."

I typically pretend I am leaving a Jehovah Witness on your door. I ring your doorbell first and if you come to answer your door then I will give you some useless pamphlets. If you don't come then I go to your backyard and take my time in your California room, the best invention ever, where your neighbors can't see me. A small crowbar works wonder on those large sliding doors. Those one room great room house is perfect for me to see if anyone is home. I know those timer trick and I check for the downlights in the ceiling. The best time to pay a visit to your home is between 10-2 during the weekday and especially on trash day while your trash cans are still outside and your mail is still in the box. I have several outfits such as Valley Crest Landscaping or some kind of reflector vest and a landscape tool belts equipped with pruners, shears and blower to legitimize my access to your rear yard. Your neighbors you hardly know have no clue that I am about to clean out your home.

lnc said:
ps9 said:

Did Irvine PD recommend lock the electric panel box? 

I'm interested in locking the electric panel too but wonder if there's a city safety code, HOA, or fire department regulation prohibited it. 

It can be dangerous to lock the electric panel box since a locked electric panel box can potentially delay the time it required to turn off the power in case of emergencies. http://activerain.com/blogsview/315159/dangerous-situation-locked-electrical-panels

"All electric panels must have free and unrestricted access at all times! Your property, life or that of a loved one could be at risk."

"If you feel you must lock your panel follow these simple guidelines:
Use a high grade brass lock instead of a cheap steel one. Good brass locks are not as likely to seize or rust in the locked position.
Periodically open and close the lock several times a year. This will ensure that it will operate properly.
Keep the key in a readily accessible location by an entry door. In an emergency, seconds count!
Keep access to the panel clear and unrestricted."

The officer was surprised I had one on my panel, he does recommend it and stated most people don't have one.  As for legality, haven't checked with Fire Dept nor HOA.  I'll look into it.  But then why is there a loop for a lock?

I wonder what would constitute an emergency where you need immediate access to the panel?  Something bad happens, I'm gonna get out of the house and call 911. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
I typically pretend I am leaving a Jehovah Witness on your door. I ring your doorbell first and if you come to answer your door then I will give you some useless pamphlets. If you don't come then I go to your backyard and take my time in your California room, the best invention ever, where your neighbors can't see me. A small crowbar works wonder on those large sliding doors. Those one room great room house is perfect for me to see if anyone is home. I know those timer trick and I check for the downlights in the ceiling. The best time to pay a visit to your home is between 10-2 during the weekday and especially on trash day while your trash cans are still outside and your mail is still in the box. I have several outfits such as Valley Crest Landscaping or some kind of reflector vest and a landscape tool belts equipped with pruners, shears and blower to legitimize my access to your rear yard. Your neighbors you hardly know have no clue that I am about to clean out your home.

Chatted with the officer a bit.  He stated home burglaries are down in Irvine, it was the worst about 7-8 years ago.  There was a "chair" bandit that burglarized many homes.. 1 month in woodbridge, then across to westpark, etc.  He targeted homes that backed up to a park or greenbelt.  He would go in thru a unlocked side gate/window/door, get what he wants, grabs a chair and use it to step up and over the back wall into the park.  They finally caught him in Anaheim when he left some DNA evidence on the back wall (blood?).  After he was caught, home burglaries went down quite a bit. 

Car break-ins are on the rise.  Biggest problem:  people don't lock their cars and leave valuables in plain sight.  If we have mandatory 3 car garages then this won't be an issue.

ps9 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Chatted with the officer a bit.  He stated home burglaries are down in Irvine, it was the worst about 7-8 years ago.  There was a "chair" bandit that burglarized many homes.. 1 month in woodbridge, then across to westpark, etc.  He targeted homes that backed up to a park or greenbelt.  He would go in thru a unlocked side gate/window/door, get what he wants, grabs a chair and use it to step up and over the back wall into the park.  They finally caught him in Anaheim when he left some DNA evidence on the back wall (blood?).  After he was caught, home burglaries went down quite a bit. 

Car break-ins are on the rise.  Biggest problem:  people don't lock their cars and leave valuables in plain sight.  If we have mandatory 3 car garages then this won't be an issue.

Low income housing = more crime

irvinehomeshopper said:
Is this suppose to be funny?

Not funny at all. It works every time. Would you like to learn more? Burglars and car thieves rarely live in the same city where they commit their crimes. PM me your address and I will leave a note on your coffee table within the next 3 months.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Is this suppose to be funny?

Speaking of, I find it funny when people drive into their garage and close it before they get out of their car.

As if they don't want us neighbors to see them.

Back