home features not in demand

I can see where a great room makes sense.
Our formal living room has been turned into one large playroom.
That's not what we intended.

WoodburyDad said:
That's usually what happens to the family room or great room... the formal living room is for the guests/visitors.

irvinehomeowner said:
WoodburyDad said:
That's usually what happens to the family room or great room... the formal living room is for the guests/visitors.

Many of our neighbors have a piano in their formal living room instead of furnishings.

This one on the list was interesting:

"Master-Planned Developments"

Really?

And why aren't "3-car garages" or "driveways" on that list?

Master planned communities was first created in the colonization of America following the principles of the West Indies. The land was planned by the masters to include their slaves in the agrarian society. Slaves quarters were keep tight, confined and exclude comfort. The slaves quarter were clustered in a vulnerable location to maximized the agricultural fields , to discourage uprisings, and to stipples the slaves' independence. Walls were built to lock slaves in and the condition outside of the walls were kept desolate and empty just to insure a runaway slave had no place to hide.

Today the principle remain consistent to this methodology.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Master planned communities was first created in the colonization of America following the principles of the West Indies. The land was planned by the masters to include their slaves in the agrarian society. Slaves quarters were keep tight, confined and exclude comfort. The slaves quarter were clustered in a vulnerable location to maximized the agricultural fields , to discourage uprisings, and to stipples the slaves' independence. Walls were built to lock slaves in and the condition outside of the walls were kept desolate and empty just to insure a runaway slave had no place to hide.

Really? Would love to read more about this- please share your source of information.

I don't care much for the great room (takes forever to heat and cool), but I love California Sun rooms! We don't have one at our place, but when we upgrade, that will be the first requirement on my list. Those of you with sun rooms- do you use them?

I agree with most of these. Luxury master bathrooms (along with whirlpool baths) are one of my biggest pet peeves in new home developments. It's only ok if the home is truly a luxurious mansion. You can't have a normal-size house with tiny bedrooms and a huge master bath. It just looks stupid, in my opinion...designed to make people feel richer than they are. I also really don't like sunrooms, at least in a warm climate, because they just trap hot air and get stuffy and uncomfortable. I do think they might be nice to have in a cold, snowy climate.

But I like formal living rooms! I don't want them to go away. They don't have to be overly formal, really. I'm not much for formality, but I do like having two separate living areas in my home.

I like the idea of libraries or dens (not used as a downstairs bedroom) and rumpus/bonus rooms. I would like them to make a comeback.

Put a baby grand in there. Make sure your child practices really well before the guests come. Seeing envious faces of the relatives and friends priceless! Their eyes gawking on your wife's Gucci or Lv handbag double priceless. Make sure your car is in the 3CWG because you sure don't want them to see the infamous hello Kitty stickers.

Read the 2 pages as intro. however I will recommend buying the book because the Irvine population is similar to the slaves described in the book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xnIkAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=planning+west+indie+principles&source=bl&ots=c9CMjHwt2p&sig=Z-PI79lFucWqgkm-WNLSzGpDXPo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=wvdCT-TrIMGYiAL5gIWGAQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=planning%20west%20indie%20principles&f=false
Cubic Zirconia said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Really? Would love to read more about this- please share your source of information.

traceimage said:
Just don't get a pool table for your living room. Super tacky.

When the living room is separate from the formal dinning room is where you normally find the pool table along with sports jerseys hanging on the wall.

i'd trade a formal living room for the downstairs den/playroom with a door.    my mom still has furniture from when i was a child stored away in almost perfect condition... where is it stored?  her living room...

just like Hollinger's PER (player effeciency rating for those who don't follow hoops), I assess homes the same way.  sure price per sq ft matters, but what about per/ usable sq ft?      maybe we can alter BK's old house scoring system and market something for realtards to use...

so for me (just personally), a 2400 sq ft house with a large great room and expansive kitchen is more ideal than a 2400 sq ft house with a tiny family room, but large living room/formal dining room set up.      as long as the general dining area can seat 6-8, i dont really have a problem not having a dining room + eating nook set up.

Patrick J. Star said:
We also have a downstairs bedroom and full bath + four more up --- and all very good sized, bigger than we typically see in new homes.  I don't know why they could fit all this into 2400 sq ft in 1997, but can't in 2012. 

volume of the house and footprint.  i bet your 2400 sq ft house has a bigger footprint than the new 2400 stuff being built in irvine

Patrick J. Star said:
We also have a downstairs bedroom and full bath + four more up --- and all very good sized, bigger than we typically see in new homes.  I don't know why they could fit all this into 2400 sq ft in 1997, but can't in 2012.

My totally unqualified opinion is that homebuilders today are putting the square footage into unnecessary areas. Most new developments I've seen have huge master bathrooms, large his-and-hers closets, and big laundry rooms. The only reason I can think of to do this (since it doesn't make a house "feel" larger) is that it contributes to an "I have a luxurious, rich-person house" sentiment on the part of buyers.

Older homes seem to be more practical. My house (built in the 70s) has a laundry room, master bath, and closets, but they aren't really big--just functional.

traceimage said:
Patrick J. Star said:

My totally unqualified opinion is that homebuilders today are putting the square footage into unnecessary areas. Most new developments I've seen have huge master bathrooms, large his-and-hers closets, and big laundry rooms. The only reason I can think of to do this (since it doesn't make a house "feel" larger) is that it contributes to an "I have a luxurious, rich-person house" sentiment on the part of buyers.

Older homes seem to be more practical. My house (built in the 70s) has a laundry room, master bath, and closets, but they aren't really big--just functional.

partially disagree...i think big bathrooms came into fashion early 90s.  my in-laws house was built back then by standard pacific and has a very large bathroom with the big tub, 2 sinks, separate shower, etc.  Its only 2400 yet feels larger than even the 3000 sq ft new homes both from exterior and interior. 

Back