Home Builder Construction Quality Comparison

irvinemonkey

Tried searching and didn't find  thread that discussed this. I am looking for your opinions on the builders construction quality and reviews. I currently live in a William Lyon built home and will say that the home is built with a few minor issues. Can anyone add their 2 cents on the various builders in Irvine and their opinion on their construction quality? Thanks!

Irvine Pacific offered us additional whole house insulation, which means they will put in additional insulation between the floors, interior walls and garage exterior walls for $1300 extra (upgrade cost). I wonder if this was even necessary?  I was told it's a good upgrade to do because it would make all rooms in the house more sound proof and save on energy. How about the other builders in Irvine, do they provide whole house insulation, and if so, as an upgrade or included in the base price? I always thought insulation of a home should be mandatory all over, not just partially or just exterior walls.

KB at whisler ridge was offering the same insulation package for an additional $1,075

irvinehomeowner said:
It's been posted several times that KB is a lower-tier builder.

people keep on saying that but are there any real evidence that their build quality is really less than IPAC, Taylor Morrison, New home company, etc?  i understand if when people say "lower-tier" they refer to using more expensive/high end looking finishes, but to me that is something completely different than build quality.  Look at the Brookfield Montecito homes, IHS said they are a good reputable builder and those homes appear to have all sorts of foundation issues.

I think all builders are the same.

My preferences are on floorplans and designs... so I'm particular to StanPac, Lennar and even Taylor.

That doesn't speak to quality however... but I do think they are similar because don't they all use the same contractors... especially if they are in the same villages.

For example... the 2010 Woodbury Collection had several different builders, but if you look at the components, they were all similar... same tubs, same laundry sinks, same window/door hardware... so while Brookfield as a builder may have a good reputation, because all the subs look like they were the same (I don't know this for sure)... the quality is just as good as every other builder in that Woodbury block of builders.

This also depends on where you live some.  I personally HATE Lennar because when I live in FL in a Lennar home they did a crap job and the homes all started sinking and cause cracks in the foundations.  I have an in-law that lives out here who will live in nothing but Lennar homes.  I personally don't like iPac as they do mid grade work but charge top prices.  You can get a better build TayMo (like LV) for less than a iPac.  I do like the Whistler Ridge stuff from KB tbh.

irvinemonkey said:
I am looking for your opinions on the builders construction quality and reviews. I currently live in a William Lyon built home and will say that the home is built with a few minor issues. Can anyone add their 2 cents on the various builders in Irvine and their opinion on their construction quality? Thanks!

Here are some old links that discuss some of the builders:http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewreply/83556/http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewreply/83635/http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewreply/82897/http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2744.msg41252.html#msg41252

Very insightful posts!

Kaufman & Broad homes = poor construction.  This is when I was in the Bay Area.  They changed their name to KB homes.  I heard this over and over again.

Khov = my buddy who lives in ladera says the people who bought their homes are finding out about the corner cutting (leaks with pipes, sub-standard materials).  This is just his opinion.

LENNAR = Loses Every Nickel Never Any Revenue...wrong forum, should be in the finance one  :D

D.R. Horton is also a poor quality builder who cut corners to improve their profit margins at the expense of home owners!

It really depends on the area where you live. Several of the builders that are mentioned in this post are clients of ours. I have had previous discussions with some of the on-site customer service representatives, and their experience was that, in the areas where real estate was more expensive, they would use more experienced and more expensive subcontractors (and better components) to do the work. However, in areas where the real estate is generally less expensive (take, as an example, Victorville), the builder will need to hire cheaper labor, use cheaper parts, etc., in order to meet their desired margins.

Regardless of whether you live in an expensive or less expensive area, the fact is that these builders are all out to make a profit, and will always try to find ways to save money in order to maximize their profit. Also, given how quickly these homes are built, it's not surprising (to me, at least) that many of the new homes exhibit problems with fit and finish (or, in some cases, with the soils). 

However - this is just my $0.02 based on what folks who have worked for some of these builders have told me. I live in a home that was built by one of these builders, and which is now about approximately 6 years old. Although some of the components have needed repair or replacement, I have no major complaints with the quality of the home. On the other hand, I know of a condo that was built in late 2010 where the HVAC and garage door opener are already exhibiting problems. Both are located in the same city.

Back