Home Automation

akkord

What are you guys using?  I'm thinking of using the Wink HUB with either Lutron or Leviton switches, but I only started researching.  Anyone have experience with the switches and a smart home automation HUB?  What HUBS you guys have tried as well as what works great or doesn't?

Things I've noted when I started reading today:
Instant Status is a must for the switch
No delay in response time when sending commands via the HUB

TIA

I have a the Lutron and Insteon switches in my house.  I use the physical remote control with the Lutron, although it's connected to my Staples Connect hub, I don't use an app to control it.  The Insteon solution is hooked up to my ceiling fans.  Both have a slight delay (0.5 sec or so with Lutron, 0.25 sec or so with Insteon) when you tell it to do something.  The Insteon app is a little crude, but it works and have been reliable so far.  It's a pain to set it up, you have to press the buttons in a specific sequence to program them, but once they're set up, they work great.

So I bought the Wink since it's compatible with the Amazon Echo and Dot.  I have yet to sync it with my Lutron switches/remotes as the electrician finished most of the work yesterday.  I'll let everyone know once I get the Wink setup for a review.

Got the dot yesterday, set it up this afternoon.

12 lights, 6 remotes connected to the Wink Hub.  All 12 lights (pretty much different sets of recessed lighting) can now be controlled via my phone or through the Amazon dot.  Wink has some nice functionality, I haven't played with it all, but I'm able to turn on and off my lights when I'm not home, able to set schedules for lights, good for if you go on vacation and want to turn on some lights every night for a few hours, or if you need those lights to wake you up in the morning. 

Next up sync'ing the Haiku fans to the Dot so I can voice control those too. 

akkord said:
Got the dot yesterday, set it up this afternoon.

12 lights, 6 remotes connected to the Wink Hub.  All 12 lights (pretty much different sets of recessed lighting) can now be controlled via my phone or through the Amazon dot.  Wink has some nice functionality, I haven't played with it all, but I'm able to turn on and off my lights when I'm not home, able to set schedules for lights, good for if you go on vacation and want to turn on some lights every night for a few hours, or if you need those lights to wake you up in the morning. 

Next up sync'ing the Haiku fans to the Dot so I can voice control those too.

Are you doing it yourself, changing the ac outlets and light switches?

IML did the switches for me when they were here doing the recessed lighting, ceiling fans, and under cabinet lighting - reconfigured my 2 and 3 gang switches for free since I wanted them in a specific order once everything was in.  The Lutron Caseta looked relatively easy to install when I watched them swap out a couple.  Here's a youtube video for reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwLUIQHLUF4

I haven't changed out any outlets since I haven't found anything I'd want to hook up to a Smart outlet.  What were you going to do, floorlamps?

akkord said:
IML did the switches for me when they were here doing the recessed lighting, ceiling fans, and under cabinet lighting - reconfigured my 2 and 3 gang switches for free since I wanted them in a specific order once everything was in.  The Lutron Caseta looked relatively easy to install when I watched them swap out a couple.  Here's a youtube video for reference.

I haven't changed out any outlets since I haven't found anything I'd want to hook up to a Smart outlet.  What were you going to do, floorlamps?

Did you void the builder home warranty for electrical potentially?

Just use the adapter plugs for outlets. Ive switched out some light switches on my vera system. Not an issue to put backif needed and doubt it would cause any issues.

jmoney74 said:
Just use the adapter plugs for outlets. Ive switched out some light switches on my vera system. Not an issue to put backif needed and doubt it would cause any issues.

I've changed out 12 light switches to the lutron casetas already, and 6 switches to the pico remotes for those 2 way circuits.  Be a pain to switch them all out...I've also had an electrician wire up under cabinet lighting, too late to go back if something were to happen.  But RAH is awesome with their customer service so far. 

No need for outlet adapters yet.  Looking for a cheap z-wave garage door opener and a way to get the Dot to turn my TVs on and off, haven't done too much research yet, but I do know the Harmony HUB with their remotes can do it, but I don't want to get another HUB. 

akkord said:
jmoney74 said:

I've changed out 12 light switches to the lutron casetas already, and 6 switches to the pico remotes for those 2 way circuits.  Be a pain to switch them all out...I've also had an electrician wire up under cabinet lighting, too late to go back if something were to happen.  But RAH is awesome with their customer service so far. 

No need for outlet adapters yet.  Looking for a cheap z-wave garage door opener and a way to get the Dot to turn my TVs on and off, haven't done too much research yet, but I do know the Harmony HUB with their remotes can do it, but I don't want to get another HUB.

Keep us posted on that garage door opener

akkord said:

Eyephone doesn't have floorlamps. Maybe in the past, but not anymore.

I do want to change the outlet that has two USB ports included. (Not an automated outlet)

Back