HOLY SMOKES : Did i read this right? Dow below 10,000 S&P;1,100 Nasdaq 1500. Is this possible by October?

Ted Spread - Wow!

LIBOR - Whoa!

Tomorrow is the settlement date for Lehman credit default swaps and Lehman bonds are selling for 10 cents on the dollar. - Uh-oh!

[quote author="CalGal" date=1223618542]I started a <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/3347/">Basketball</a> thread so we don't get scolded. :coolgrin:</blockquote>

Don't forget the Chargers play New England this week! :)

[quote author="24inIrvine" date=1223620104][quote author="CalGal" date=1223618542]I started a <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/3347/">Basketball</a> thread so we don't get scolded. :coolgrin:</blockquote>

Don't forget the Chargers play New England this week! :)</blockquote>
You need to rephrase that statement. It should be:

Don't forget the Chargers get defeated by New England this week! ;-P

Oh, do I need to start a football thread. :mad:

I started a <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/3349/">Football</a> Thread.

So, you can bring all your testosterone over there. :coolsmirk:

[quote author="24inIrvine" date=1223621320]I'm just trying to get peoples minds off the stock market so they don't think about throwing themselves out the window. :)</blockquote>
I hear ya!

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223626911]I went long on the open everything in the Panda Challenge.</blockquote>

And your trades still show pending. This is why we haven't been paying as much attention to the game. Investopedia sucks. Since your trades didn't go through, then you might luck out when they actually do. Which sadly defeats the purpose.

I will say my ultra short emerging markets EEV is in the green by 35%, and should be more come tomorrow the way Asian markets are tanking right now. That was a nice anti-Panda trade. Oh and my long dollar and ultra short Euro are doing well too.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1223627367][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223626911]I went long on the open everything in the Panda Challenge.</blockquote>

And your trades still show pending. This is why we haven't been paying as much attention to the game. Investopedia sucks. Since your trades didn't go through, then you might luck out when they actually do. Which sadly defeats the purpose.

I will say my ultra short emerging markets EEV is in the green by 35%, and should be more come tomorrow the way Asian markets are tanking right now. That was a nice anti-Panda trade. Oh and my long dollar and ultra short Euro are doing well too.</blockquote>

I think last I bought some energy stocks for a quick day trade, then never logged back into investopedia. Probably won't either.

I'll be happy to play another site and if you guys want I can start a challange on virtualstockexchange.com. They don't have derivative trading, but perhaps we can live without it as most of the world does (sigh)

Other than that the site is probably the best free site that allows a group challange, so let me know and I'll set one up.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1223629313]Does anybody other than myself think this is the perfect time to convert overvalued U.S. dollars to undervalued Asian currencies?</blockquote>

I think we have seen the bottom for the dollar relative to other currencies. They are all going into the crapper now, so the dollar will rise on a relative basis. Now is a good time to be long the dollar, IMO.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1223627367][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223626911]I went long on the open everything in the Panda Challenge.</blockquote>

I will say my ultra short emerging markets EEV is in the green by 35%, and should be more come tomorrow the way Asian markets are tanking right now. That was a nice anti-Panda trade. Oh and my long dollar and ultra short Euro are doing well too.</blockquote>

The executions are not accurate, but I am finding it fun. I entered an order for puts with a showing offer of $4.30. They executed at $7.30 and immediately showed a $3.00 loss. Oh well, almost harder than real life.

IR, I do not see you in the Panda Challenge, unless you are golfplan.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223626911]I went long on the open everything in the Panda Challenge.</blockquote>

Ok, now I see you are golfplan. It seems like every rally is being used as a selling opportunity for the hedgies and mutual funds. And so far, the US futures are down 2% to 3%. Maybe you will catch a nice little bottom. Good luck.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223632888]

I think we have seen the bottom for the dollar relative to other currencies. They are all going into the crapper now, so the dollar will rise on a relative basis. Now is a good time to be long the dollar, IMO.</blockquote>

What kind of time frame are you thinking? For how long?

[quote author="awgee" date=1223634680][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223632888]

I think we have seen the bottom for the dollar relative to other currencies. They are all going into the crapper now, so the dollar will rise on a relative basis. Now is a good time to be long the dollar, IMO.</blockquote>

What kind of time frame are you thinking? For how long?</blockquote>

Based on the interest rate cycles playing out around the globe, I would say we are in for a multi-year run on dollars as compared to the other currencies.

The interest rate cycle typically runs about 4-7 years. This one will probably be dragged out due to the severity of the recession. We are ahead of the rest of the world. That means we trashed our currency first. As the others lower their interest rates, the dollar should rise, and as we raise our interest rates when we come out of recession, the dollar will rise again. We should come out of the recession before the rest of the world because we went into it earlier.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223635292][quote author="awgee" date=1223634680][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223632888]

What kind of time frame are you thinking? For how long?</blockquote>

Based on the interest rate cycles playing out around the globe, I would say we are in for a multi-year run on dollars as compared to the other currencies.

The interest rate cycle typically runs about 4-7 years. This one will probably be dragged out due to the severity of the recession. We are ahead of the rest of the world. That means we trashed our currency first. As the others lower their interest rates, the dollar should rise, and as we raise our interest rates when we come out of recession, the dollar will rise again. We should come out of the recession before the rest of the world because we went into it earlier.</blockquote>

You just stuck a knife in Panda's heart and twisted it around a couple of times... I think I've told him on 26 different PMs not to bet against the dollar!

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1223640413]You just stuck a knife in Panda's heart and twisted it around a couple of times... I think I've told him on 26 different PMs not to bet against the dollar!</blockquote>

Funny that, I have said that to him at least 26 times publicly. Didn't he say he had moved money into the Korean Yuan? That had to hurt. Well... at least he has the emerging markets and how he loaded up on the dips on FXI. Er... wait, nevermind. Everything from Asia to Britain is getting slaughtered right now. Brutal beat downs right now. Well, gold is up $42 an ounce, so he got one thing right, for the moment.

Dow futures show it breaking 8500.

S&P futures show it breaking 900.

We could see some more support levels broken if we see the same momentum as yesterday and how the overseas markets performed.

[quote author="blackvault" date=1223630895][quote author="graphrix" date=1223627367][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223626911]I went long on the open everything in the Panda Challenge.</blockquote>

I think last I bought some energy stocks for a quick day trade, then never logged back into investopedia. Probably won't either.

I'll be happy to play another site and if you guys want I can start a challange on virtualstockexchange.com. They don't have derivative trading, but perhaps we can live without it as most of the world does (sigh)

Other than that the site is probably the best free site that allows a group challange, so let me know and I'll set one up.</blockquote>

I already set one up, only to find out you can't trade options. I just can't play a game or real life without options. I posted a link in the Panda challenge thread to another source for a game, where we can people to our buddy list vs. a group challenge. Hopefully when we do find a better source it won't be the Pandaless challenge.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223632888][quote author="PANDA" date=1223629313]Does anybody other than myself think this is the perfect time to convert overvalued U.S. dollars to undervalued Asian currencies?</blockquote>

Due to the fundamentals the sentence should read...

Does anybody other than myself think this is the perfect time to convert overvalued Asian currencies into U.S. dollars?

But... that is not what Panda wants to hear. We all know from his posts he shifted heavily into Asian currencies and has recently taken a huge beating. Instead of posting what Panda wants to read, Panda should be reading what others post. Instead he will just get frustrated with me, and post someone else's research on the dollar that fits into what Panda wants to hear. The saying goes: Too much of a good thing. Those that made a profit on the falling dollar and expect it to continue its decline suffer from this.

Back