Holiday Gift Ideas

pebbles

I'm stumped for holiday gift ideas for my nieces and nephews.

Anyone have a good idea for the following age groups:

Boy, 14
Boy, 9

Girl, 16
Girl, 10

Thanks!

I think a good starting place is the gift guide on Blood Bath & Beyond's site. I take a look through there when I'm trying to think of a gift for someone especially when I don't know what they like, need, or want.

Example:
Boy, 14 - light up chess set or video game?
Boy, 9 - remote control car set?

Girl, 16 - hot rollers?
Girl, 10 - mini jewelry purse (with something special in it)?

These are some things it would suggest. Good luck!

No idea for the girls.

For the 14 year old boy:
Gift Cards.
You can go with one big one for iTunes assuming he is like every other 14 year old boy and has an iSomething.
Or you can go out and get $5-$10 gift cards to the places he hangs out. For our 14 year old we get McDonalds, Pat and Oscars, Movie Tickets etc. So when he wants to go hang out with the guys.

For the 9 year old Boy a game for his Wii. His mom and dad will know which ones to get him.

We make it easy for our relatives we actually but the stuff for them and they just give us the money.

For the girls I have no clue.

16 year old girl..... gift card for Forever 21 (assuming she's wears a size 10 or under, unless OC Forever 21 carry their "plus size" line) Subscription to teen Vogue or similar if she's interested in fashion. Movie tickets are also "unisex" at this age.

Are either big Harry Potter fans? There's a store in Santa Monica, Whimsic Alley, that has pretty unique wizarding gifts.... www.whimsicalley.com

10 year old girl - Gift card for Borders - usually that age group is just starting to discover all the book series available.

Gift cards for them all!!

I think 8 and under like actual gifts but when they start getting older, they like to get what they want rather than receive something they have to feign desire for.

My mom says I'm lazy when I give gift cards... and although that is true... why waste my time buying something that the recipient will have to waste their time returning? It's win-win.

I'll usually only buy a physical gift if I know exactly what they want or if it's something that I have the resources to get when they don't.

Also... what is the budget for these gifts? It's easier to make suggestions if we know what price range we are looking at.

Thanks for all the responses.
We usually spend around $100 for each kid - it's a family grab.
And these kids seem to have everything. They aren't deprived by any means.

Last year I asked the older kids what they wanted and they all said they wanted cash so they could put it towards a larger present (one niece was saving to buy a car). So, I gave them a small present with cash. The kids were thrilled; however, this year we received an email from the parents that they didn't want their kids to get cash and they would appreciate a more "meaningful" gift. I'm still trying to get over the initial "anger" stage, so that's why I'm asking for help.

I appreciate all the responses. We don't have any kids, so I'm not in tune with what kids like these days.

Ahh... so the parents prefer you give them gifts... $100 per kid... wow... can you be my aunt?

You should email the parents back and ask them for suggestions of "meaningful" gifts since they don't want you to give the kids what they actually asked for.

Kids who have everything are tough to gift... which makes gift cards even better since you have no idea what they don't have.

Video games for the boys (even the 16yo) would work because they don't have EVERY game (that is of course if they play games).

I would have suggested a pre-paid cell phone with some minutes but they might all have one already.

I'm a gadget guy so my suggestions would be like a digital camera, a Flip video cam, a cheap MP3 player that plays video (Sansa Fuze), a portable DVD player, DJ/Guitar/Band Hero... or maybe a real musical instrument like a guitar, keyboard or drum set?

I would give them a check!!!! Then when the parents gave me a dirty look I would say "you said no cash that's why I wrote a check!!"

Well, in that case....(I think the parents are out of line, but....) $100 savings bonds!

I don't know that kids/teenagers are especially interested in meaningful... although, to give the parents the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they were trying to communicate that the kids had everything they could possibly need, and a more charitable gift would be appropriate.

If that's the case, World Vision publishes a gift catalog every year where you can purchase farm animals/supplies for Third World people, or school supplies, etc for kids in America. I don't have the catalog in front of me right now, but I think for $400 you could just about feed a village in South America - giving them chickens, ducks and a goat or 2. The idea is to give them resources to feed themselves over time.

You guys crack me up.

Since all the kids have "everything," we did discuss doing something for charity. A friend of mine brings a Christmas tree and ornaments to a women's shelter and her kids and the kids at the shelter decorate the tree together. I tried to get a discussion of this sort going at Thanksgiving, but I was turned down. I thought it would make the kids appreciate what they have a bit more - but what do I know - I was turned down.

My interpretation of the term "meaningful" from the email was that we (meaning me and my husband) should put more thought into the gifts than just money.

A couple of parents are good about giving us ideas, but other parents never respond when I ask for suggestions. It's very frustrating. Figures this year I get the parents that never send suggestions.

I do like the idea of video games, but the kids have soooo many games, and I know they always get the newest game whenever it comes out. I would hate to get a game they already have, especially since I have to ship it to another state.

Another annoying thing is that the family party is on the 20th and we just got the grab names today (the 10th). That only gives me ten days to get the presents (and two of the presents I have to ship out of state).

Ah, I guess it wouldn't be the holidays if I wasn't stressed out and annoyed with family members. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> I guess I should be pleased with this problem - it certainly could be worse. I am blessed (but still annoyed!) <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

Thanks again for the responses - and therapy session. I'm still a bit aggravated about someone telling me what to gift or not to gift. This thread kept me from sending an angry email response to my relatives (or I should say my husband's relatives - which is even worse) <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( -->

[quote author="trrenter"]I would give them a check!!!! Then when the parents gave me a dirty look I would say "you said no cash that's why I wrote a check!!"[/quote]
I like your thinking. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Back