Higher cancer rate in Olinda Ranch/Carbon Canyon area?

I had a real estate agent tell me that doctors moving into the area (North Orange County) refuse to live in the Olinda Ranch/Brea area because of an elevated cancer risk (I asked a nurse who works at St. Jude and she confirmed this). Does anyone know if this was where some kind of dump or toxic disposal area used to be located? I seem to recall a dump somewhere in the area. Would increased cancer rate statistics be hidden to protect the city/homeowners? If you know anything please let me know. There are some great houses here that are close to Yorba Linda where I live now, but I certainly don't want to take any extra risks.

The <a href="http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Info OC/Departments & Agencies/OC Waste & Recycling/Landfill Information">Olinda Alpha Landfill</a> is nearby at 1942 North Valencia Ave. in Brea. Also nearby is a power plant that uses landfill gas to generate electricity. I don't know if either of these two are contributors, but that's all I've got.

(My link isn't working. I'll keep trying.) ... still not working. You can view at <a href="http://www.oclandfills.com">oclandfills.com</a> which redirects to another site. Click on "Landfill Information" then click on "Olinda Alpha". When you click on "digital photos", it mentions the power plant.

My google-fu turned up some interesting stuff about Aerojet an 800 acre ammunition site remnant of the Cold War.

<em>Residents of Chino and Chino Hills claim that chemical and radioactive poisons oozing from the site are damaging

their health, even causing cancers. Orange County residents may consider those claims as a warning: there?s a

small creek that sluices runoff from the Aerojet site into the Soquel Canyon Creek in Chino Hills. Soquel Canyon

feeds into Carbon Canyon Creek, moving south through Brea, Placentia and into Anaheim. It discharges into the

Santa Ana River near the crossroads of the 91 freeway and Kraemer Boulevard. The Santa Ana is a major source

of water for many in Orange County, flowing through Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Fountain Valley and Costa Mesa

before dumping into the Pacific Ocean at the south end of environmentally troubled Huntington Beach.</em>

The above quote is from <a href="http://enviroreporter.com/russiansrocketssantaanariver.html">here</a>

Invest in a FLIR camera, preferable a GASFind ir. It sounds crazy to spend 8 grand on a camera, but you will be light years ahead about knowing whether there are vapors and also whether the house is sound/has leaks/ inadequate insulation.

Anyone serious about buying a home should own one.

Keep in mind that older landfills have no seal, so it will seep into surrounding areas.

[quote author="LoudRoar" date=1247732005]Invest in a FLIR camera, preferable a GASFind ir. It sounds crazy to spend 8 grand on a camera, but you will be light years ahead about knowing whether there are vapors and also whether the house is sound/has leaks/ inadequate insulation.

Keep in mind that older landfills have no seal, so it will seep into surrounding areas.</blockquote>

Mr. SoCal designs fully military-grade FLIR cameras for a living. They are a really cool thing to use to look at your home. Only problem is detecting things in interior walls since the temp is the same on both sides of the wall. Maybe one day I'll bring one to an IHB get-together or something.

Aerojet made F-14 Tomcat MG bullets. My parents took a tour of their facility back in the early 90's. I wish I could have gone. They said the bullets were about 1 foot long.

I believe these bullets are made with depleted uranium.

[quote author="LoudRoar" date=1247732005]Invest in a FLIR camera, preferable a GASFind ir. It sounds crazy to spend 8 grand on a camera, but you will be light years ahead about knowing whether there are vapors and also whether the house is sound/has leaks/ inadequate insulation.

Keep in mind that older landfills have no seal, so it will seep into surrounding areas.</blockquote>

Very cool, How does the camera detect if the house if sound?

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1247740677]Very cool, How does the camera detect if the house if sound?</blockquote>

I don't mean to answer for him, but <a href="http://www.flir.com/thermography/americas/us/">this </a>will explain with pictures so you can get an idea.

[quote author="SoCal" date=1247741632][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1247740677]Very cool, How does the camera detect if the house if sound?</blockquote>

I don't mean to answer for him, but <a href="http://www.flir.com/thermography/americas/us/">this </a>will explain with pictures so you can get an idea.</blockquote>

Wow, does anyone know a home inspector that uses one of these gizmos? SoCal, have you check out PS with your camera?

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1247734356][quote author="LoudRoar" date=1247732005]Invest in a FLIR camera, preferable a GASFind ir. It sounds crazy to spend 8 grand on a camera, but you will be light years ahead about knowing whether there are vapors and also whether the house is sound/has leaks/ inadequate insulation.

Mr. SoCal designs fully military-grade FLIR cameras for a living. They are a really cool thing to use to look at your home. Only problem is detecting things in interior walls since the temp is the same on both sides of the wall. Maybe one day I'll bring one to an IHB get-together or something.</blockquote>

cool! i don't currently have one but used one in the past, absolutely worth its weight in gold. But as socal has stated, you need to know how to use it, like the wall temperature interior/exterior being the same can usually be taken care of if you flir at night when it was a hot day. There are many little details like this.

Socal wow if you have a flir maybe one day we could go take a look around, esp if you have the new ones like gasfind ir. amazing technology! There are some places I want to check out :) Hey, ill even pay a rental fee! So worth it!

I played around a little with FLIR too. Pretty neat tool, and the price has come down considerably in past four years. Fluke is selling them too. I was thinking about setting up a company that do rental of these FLIR and other high-cost diagnostic tools, but most company that need them usually buy one outright instead of leasing/renting it, so I never really want to quit my day job for that yet.

Rather than rent one I would love to have a home inspector with knowledge/use of this technology. I would pay more for an inspection that used this tool. It sounds like testing for meth would be great also, considering another post I read on here about the health problems in former meth houses.

[quote author="BurnedbyToll" date=1247803957]Rather than rent one I would love to have a home inspector with knowledge/use of this technology. I would pay more for an inspection that used this tool. It sounds like testing for meth would be great also, considering another post I read on here about the health problems in former meth houses.</blockquote>

Please let me know if you (any of you) find an inspector that uses this. Would be a valuable addition to my bag of tricks.

Thank you,

-Scott

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1247809360]

Please let me know if you (any of you) find an inspector that uses this. Would be a valuable addition to my bag of tricks.

Thank you,

-Scott</blockquote>

I have not used either of these companies nor have I checked out them out, but here are a couple that a Google search pulled up and they serve Irvine / Orange County:

<a href="http://www.aplusinspections.net/html/index.htm">A Plus Inspections</a>

<a href="http://www.gpinspect.com/index.php">Guaranteed Property Inspection</a>

When you do a search, you will find it more useful to include key words such as "thermal imaging" or "infrared" because they don't always specify "FLIR".

Hope this helps!

[quote author="Knife Catcher" date=1251605276]i'm looking in this area...? Is this true?</blockquote>

Oh yeah! Just like those juvinile cancer clusters for those poor saps who live below power lines. [/scarcasm]

Back