High School Rankings

[quote author="jhammons01" date=1230354631]^^tmare, can you not see what I am referring to within your own post?? 8th graders that cannot Add or Multiply?? Are we kidding here?

There is no way in the 70s (when I was in 8th grade) would any student deficient of the ability to add or Multiply be allowed to continue past the 4th grade. Saying that our (California Standards) are superior is really a fantasy that many in the School systems seem to use as an excuse for students poor performances.

Your post and your own sentiments are exactly what I am referring to when I state that I have to "teach" my children to to keep them up to speed (within grade level). What is going on in the classroom these days?? Not enough "teaching" if you ask my opinion. Sure Kids are spending time with Homework, but they should be doing assignments that they understand. Trouble is they have no clue what to do when I have to step in.

And just to give you an example, My 8 year old is an over achiever. She is now frustrated because she is not making "A" on her assignments. Guess what? I had her reading by the age of 3. I handed her off to the "fantastic" IUSD only to get in return a student that is resenting going to school due to the fact that.......(breath)....even though she wants to be the head of the class, they are not giving her the tools to reach the heights she desires.

Once again, I have to spend nights and weekends searching out computer programs that quiz her on.....wait for it.....Addition and beginning Multiplication tables (unlike your 8th graders that are challenged by Addition and Multiplication, she is in 2nd grade). We work together to bring her (once again) up to speed with her class. She was making "D"s and now I have her up to "B+" level. She is becoming more satisfied and more willing to go to school in the mornings the higher her grade becomes. With her, however, only the Top will do. My point here is that unlike my older Boys (thick headed and a tad lazy) She should be easy to teach yet Her Teacher is failing to perform the duties she is paid to perform. She is not the only one as her Kindergarten Teacher frustrated my daughter by failing to provide ANY homework.

Are you starting to see the picture? And we live in Woodbridge. The reputation here is supposed to be top notch. I am having my doubts for various reasons.</blockquote>

Where to begin? I agree with most of what you have said. The unfortunate part of the way the system works currently is that there is really no such thing as being retained a grade level anymore. Even if a student is retained, it doesn't solve the problem because the child ends up spending another year with more of the same content and teaching that didn't work before. Teachers are often expected to teach the students who have no business being in their current grade level right along with students like your daughter. It is a constant battle to try to meet the incredible needs of the students on the lower end while continuing to teach and challenge the rest.

[quote author="jhammons01" date=1230354631]^^tmare, can you not see what I am referring to within your own post?? 8th graders that cannot Add or Multiply?? Are we kidding here?

There is no way in the 70s (when I was in 8th grade) would any student deficient of the ability to add or Multiply be allowed to continue past the 4th grade. Saying that our (California Standards) are superior is really a fantasy that many in the School systems seem to use as an excuse for students poor performances.

</blockquote>

And in the early 70s, all the 'poor achieving' students were put in the 'slow' class. Or if they were brown or black, attended segregated schools of poor quality. Non-english speakers didn't even go to school, mostly.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1230363211][quote author="jhammons01" date=1230354631]^^tmare, can you not see what I am referring to within your own post?? 8th graders that cannot Add or Multiply?? Are we kidding here?

</blockquote>

And in the early 70s, all the 'poor achieving' students were put in the 'slow' class. Or if they were brown or black, attended segregated schools of poor quality. Non-english speakers didn't even go to school, mostly.</blockquote>

It's not a fantasy, I live with it everyday. The standards were much lower when I was in school (in the 70's and 80's). The math I did even in an honors class as a 7th grade student was about the same as the 4th/5th grade standards now.

Freedom-The pendulum always swings in education. Yes, what you said is true, but now it is completely the opposite and teachers are expected to be magicians as students of all ranges and abilities are thrown together in classes of 40 or so. Teachers make choices, and they are never good for everyone.

Oh, I personally think that it has swung way to far.

High expectations are great, but they can't be universal. Some kids should be tracked to graduate from HS, not intending to go to college, others to vocational education (we still need plumbers and mechanics!), some to just get as much as they can out of it (special ed), while most are tracked to college.

The only problem that I see from the past tracking is that it was based on predjudice (race, class, etc) rather than ability.

Back